Carrot Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Germano

Pros
  • Unlimited vacation - if you're every allowed to take it (in 5 reviews)

• Amazingly talented people that place an emphasis on teamwork and collaboration (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Typical growing pains but nothing we can't figure out (in 5 reviews)

• Ego - senior management, despite grand gestures and lengthy speeches, are in it for themselves (in 4 reviews)

1. "Culture Is Everything"

Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Carrot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Carrot is full of self-starters and wearers-of-many-hats. While it's far beyond a startup, much like a small scrappy company, Carrot gives ambitious people a chance to expand their skillset and to explore new opportunities. The beauty of this agency is that while it competes with the best of the best, it doesn't fall into the same negative habits that marketing firms often suffer from. If you want to work with great brands and great people, I would highly recommend exploring Carrot.

Cons

Being owned by VICE is a powerful differentiator but there are some inevitable growing pains as the companies work more closely together. This is very solvable and the company seems to be on track for major success in 2017 and beyond.

Advice to Management

Continue to be picky about the brands you work with.

"Unsustainable Fantasy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Carrot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Carrot hires those that can build and sustain their culture; it's addicting and fulfilling to be surrounded by like-minded people
    - Brands come to Carrot for FUN, so you get to work on a variety of projects that other, more established agencies, dream of
    - Lots of blurred lines: opportunity is there for the taking if you're willing to figure out and play the game
    - Perks on perks: the Google of Brooklyn advertising in terms of free, convenient things, but it comes with the trade off of making Carrot your life
    - The VICE thing is fun to say at parties (but doesn't mean much...)

Cons

- Cult or nothing: You either fully commit or you will never be happy working here and always feel like an outsider (and therefore also miss out on professional opportunities)
    - Still an underdog: Big, juicy creative briefs are not coming through the doors. Carrot is the agency that's fun to experiment with, but too risky to commit to
    - A few leaders amongst a sea of children: Carrot's culture is built on the people it hires, so youth is crucial. However, when leadership is homegrown and mid-level talent is scarce, there are a lot of workers and not a lot of teachers. Depending on the side you're on and the stage in your career, this is a pro or con
    - Ego - senior management, despite grand gestures and lengthy speeches, are in it for themselves

Advice to Management

Foster talent, reward growth, invest in opportunities that benefit the larger organization (vs the core), teach and sustain emotional intelligence, practice humility (vs surface level cool). Find a way to build on history without clinging to it; don't ostracize new employees or force initiation. Be more transparent with opportunities with VICE.

"PR is the only thing keeping this place afloat."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Carrot (More than a year)

Pros

Management is constantly looking to jump on the 'next big thing', so there's constant effort to evolve [with very mixed results]. Lack of process means you get to freedom to shape accounts how you please, but that can be a little chaotic for those fresh out of college.

Cons

They prioritize agency PR and false testimonials over actually fixing their process and leadership issues. Complete shame. They looked amazing on paper but in practice, they're all talk and zero action. All in all - a bad place for women - senior management even pulled a hardworking female staff member off an account because she wasn't "hot enough".

Advice to Management

Treat your agency like a client. Spend less time winding + dining and prioritize fixing your issues.

5. "For the hungry and energetic"

Former Employee - Media Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Media Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Carrot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic opportunities for people to really own their work and grow alongside other really smart, driven people. The clients are wonderful too!

Cons

There's a "figure-it-out" mentality that can make you feel lost at times, but if you seek it out, people are always willing to support and figure it out with you.

Advice to Management

Keep close to your most valued talent! You guys are great people and it's easy to feel connected after just a few interactions with you. That will always work to your favor... so do it as often as you can.

6. "Facilities Manager"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Carrot full-time

Pros

Good team atmosphere; upper management is engaged and its a fun place to work overall.

Cons

At the 6 month mark I can only say the benefits are little expensive.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Carrot will always be what you make of it despite growing pains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Carrot (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing company culture (there doesn't have to be a barrier between professional and personal life if you don't want one)
    - The smartest, most driven weirdos ever
    - Perks (unlimited vacation, company and industry events, never a lack of food or beer)
    - Built on incredible values and beliefs
    - You will learn so much and grow very fast if you bring the right attitude and work ethic
    - Awesome clients and passion for creativity/rule-breaking

Cons

- Extremely fast growth without core structure in place to maintain all of the cultural nuances that attracted people to the company in the first place
    - Rewards are not always based on merit - if you strong-arm the right person enough you will get what you want (raises, promotions etc.)
    - No standardized base salary for each role
    - Since business is doing well and there's always an incoming flow of talent, it seems like management is never pressed enough to make any real change despite how much people express their frustrations

Advice to Management

Listen better and take action. Management was decisive and committed to the company's values when Carrot was smaller. Priorities will always change as the company grows. However, when talent comes to Carrot because of those values, they should always remain the top priority.

"Possibly the worst agency to work at in Brooklyn. No really!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Carrot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food. Nice people. Great views of the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges. That's about it!

Cons

This agency lacks vision and milks being a Vice company. Management does not exist on a high level and new hires are expected to "figure it out" without any real on-boarding to projects or team introductions, apart from an initial intro in front of the entire agency during the weekly Tuesday Morning Meeting.
    The account team lacks enough experience to properly manage clients forcing extreme timelines, loose requirements, and no real opportunity to properly gather requirements (after KO doesn't count), resulting in poorly written SOWs that cannot be properly enforced, causing budgets to be spent too early, and placing extreme pressure on teams to solve client issues.
    The production team is no better. Some of them work hard, while others skate by being very hands off, leaving teams with little to no requirements for true success and then being given a pass because accounts did a "poor job." If you exhaust budgets, miss deadlines, or your team fails, guess what? YOU failed. It's called accountability.
    There are people being hired weekly, which is mind boggling because the work does not justify it, spreading duties very thin all around and creating an atmosphere that is boring and scary at the same time, because everyone is expendable except for the those considered "family." They keep rising in rank, while everyone else is considered sub-par or as the CEO says all the time, "7s or less." Nice job cultivating confidence in your employees by the way. We get it! You have an enlarged ego due to being acquired by Vice by inflating success and concentrating on good agency PR. You should take a few notches down. Maybe the real winners at Carrot are those who keep their heads down, work hard, and don't by into the hype - just beware, this could hurt you in the long run. Carrot needs obedient sheeple.
    To those who are interested in pursuing Carrot, if the above is not enough to stop you dead in your tracks, I say you've been warned and good luck!

Advice to Management

Quit wasting your money on throwing deck parties, BBQs, or whatever the occasions is and pay your employees. Treat them with the respect they deserve by cutting the "we need 9s and 10s, but we keep getting 7s and below" crap (looking at you Mr. Germano). You should foster a professional environment, not a clubhouse. I mean, if all you have are "7s and below", look to your hiring team. Also, if you're agency isn't profitable, begin looking at those managing budgets, culture isn't everything and doesn't bay the bills from what you're clearly starting to see. Lastly, before you keep handing out new titles, you should probably ask, would this person get this title in another agency?

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Account Team in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Account Team in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Carrot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice folks for the most part. Lots of extracurricular activities with co-workers. unlimited vacation.

Cons

No opportunity for growth. Cult-like mission that can easily make you feel like an outsider unless you "drink the kool-aid." Lots of staff turnover. It looks glorious and exciting from the outside, but once you're in it feels like a bait and switch for anyone who is seriously about a career in digital. Junior management team, and it shows.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Care about your team's growth on an individual basis. Provide more opportunities to learn, and give regular, constructive feedback.

"A Quirky, Creative, Rollercoaster of a Family"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Carrot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Carrot is a unique and wonderful place, rewarding those with passion and talent, while celebrating people's individuality or what makes you you. You will work hard, you will play hard, and if you put in the effort, you and those around you will achieve great things.

I started Carrot life as an intern and worked my way up to a senior in a couple of years, which goes to show that you really get out what you put in here.

Carrot culture is second to none, and it's employees are some of the nicest, craziest and talented people I've ever had the pleasure of working with. Working with them and hanging out after work at Carrot events (this happens a LOT by the way) really helps create a sense of community and family in and out of the office.

They're not shy of new technology or trying to do things differently which is really refreshing. Three years there and I'm still challenged creatively and very rarely bored with a project.

Carrot also fosters a very collaborative atmosphere where you don't have to be pigeonholed into one particular role or client. Keeping everything in house from creative to design to development really capitalizes on this.

Upper management is a great fusion of nerd and jock, creative and logic. They will push you hard and you will benefit and grow from it.

They're not shy of hiring international talent either if they think you're a good fit.

Cons

Being somewhat of an introverted small-town type, it was a bit of a shock to the system coming into such a vibrant, young and energetic group – it took me a little while but once I realized everyone was in it together, looking out for one another and accepting of everyone's quirks, I began to open up and settle in to what I now consider my second family.

Don't be afraid to speak out or you can definitely fade into the background.

Carrot is growing so fast it can feel chaotic at times, though for some (myself included) it's outweighed by the excitement of seeing where the company came from to what it is now and the possibilities for the future.

Advice to Management

Keep fostering the culture as you expand because it's such an integral part of what Carrot is – particularly with the opening of new offices nationally / internationally. The people you employ are your best assets and their talent and attitudes are reflected in the work and culture.

"Transformative place"

Current Employee - Strategy in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Strategy in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Carrot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can honestly say I'm a completely different person after having spent a little over a year at Carrot. I'm better at my discipline. I'm a stronger manager and more empathetic mentor. I'm a more confident presenter. I'm a faster, smarter thinker. And it's in large part due to the opportunity that Carrot affords its employees. If you are someone who seizes opportunity and runs with it then you'll do well at Carrot.

Cons

It's a small shop becoming a bigger shop. There are growing pains. There's uncertainty and swirl sometimes. There's a sense that we're figuring it out as we go. That kinda vibe isn't for some people. Some people need firmer guidance/direction, nothing wrong with that, just different strokes. Again- if you're self driven and ambitious, you'll do well. If you want concrete structure and training then you might not be a good fit. Carrot is very much a 'meet you halfway' kinda place...if you're motivated and hard working they will support you.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower everyone at every level. Demand higher standards across the board. Seek outside expertise to help build the company in the right ways. Invest in the best people and hire the right caliber of talent and the ROI will come.