KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 6 of over 532 reviews

4.9
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cars.com and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.self_employ-current

Great Company

Mar 12, 2021 - Digital Ad Production Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Loved it! Great experience! Great Place to start your career.

Cons

Career Pathing is Necessary, give people in lower position the oppourtunity to advance.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Get Experience and Get Out, FAST!

Mar 23, 2018 - Digital Ad Production Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Benefits (health insurance/dental/vision/401K) are great! - Location - Stand-Up Desks

Cons

Everything else, especially management, metric scoring, and pay. You can be a top performer one minute, then a horrible unproductive worker the next, without much proof or reason as to why except "we ran the numbers and this is the score you got". Just bring the stacked rankings back and call it a day. Unless you can make it to being the favorite of a manager/director, do NOT expect your hard work to go noticed or dare express where you'd like to move UP to in the company. I would highly advise anyone looking for a job at Cars.com to avoid applying for a Digital Ad Production Specialist position, unless you're really hard-pressed for a job. You will be a Data Entry lackey. You won't be able to skill build for another position in the company without outside courses. Even then, you will be passed up for a promotion to another department because DAPS doesn't work with a certain tool or software application, even if you know it already. Also, the coddling of incompetent Salespeople will be enough to drive you away. What's so hard about signing a contract or filling out an enrollment form? If you must, just hold out for a while and gain some work experience, then look elsewhere. The fact that 3 people left within the span of 1 month really says a lot.

13 people found this review helpful

Cars.com Response

Cars Representative

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We understand not every person and personality is a fit for Cars.com but your feedback is valuable in helping us learn and grow. We are tireless in our pursuit of excellence and focus on continuous improvement. Career growth and management training are areas we are always focusing on and we are constantly asking ourselves what we can do better. It's helpful to hear from your point of view where there is room to improve. Thanks for the contributions you made to the team while you were here.

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Place, Horrible Manager

Mar 25, 2017 - Digital Ad Production Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company, they treat you well. Good people I will probably know all my life. Good culture, fun atmosphere. Good first corporate first job.

Cons

The worst manager I ever had in DAPS is the reason why I left. I loved the company but the micro management from this manager should be considered abusive. I have never in my life been told to limit my interactions with a co-worker. It's like she didn't want me to be promoted and wanted me stuck on her team. How can I be a top performing employee but still on an improvement plan??? Skip DAPS department and you can go far in this company.

8 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee

DAPS = Bottom of the Barrel

Aug 8, 2015 - Digital Ad Production Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people, great location, nice trainers, in the Loop. You get paid on time. Dressy casual attire welcomed.

Cons

Everything I didn't say above. Don't let the fancy job title fool you. You will be treated like robots, while others on your floor are treated like actual human beings. Your every move is scrutinized and you will be graded on the most tiny, minute things. You are expected to coddle moronic sales reps, while the sales reps are allowed to treat you any way they want. Verint and Workforce are an absolute joke, just get rid of it. They continue to roll out new tools/processes without the fine-tuning, so while you and your team are basically testing out the new tools full of bugs, you're also being graded on them. Your section of the department is treated horribly by the others in the company as well. You are told by trainers how much more intelligent you are than everybody else, but expected to put up with so much from the not-so intelligent colleagues. It is a job you look to get out of as soon as possible. They strive on "building your brand" and your image, which basically lets you know to know who's butt to kiss if you want to get promoted. If you want to enjoy working at the company, go work for Customer Care or some dept. on the 18th floor (IT). Glad I left.

6 people found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Cool culture - only advancement for the "cool kids"

Jun 22, 2015 - Digital Ad Production Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture Work from home days TV in break room Fun in office parties

Cons

Machine jobs Institutionalized Too many levels of "management"

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Don't Work Here

May 22, 2015 - Digital Ad Production Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Collegiate atmosphere (the majority of the employees are in their 20's-early 30's), lots of social activities provided to employees (sports teams, fitness challenges, networking lunches, etc. - most of it requires you to pay though), some paid employee outings (open bar, free food, black hawks game box seats, video game bar, bowling), good location (Quincy/Wells stop on the CTA, Starbucks in the building, gym in the building that gives you a discounted rate)

Cons

work is incredibly boring (seriously - who dreams of doing ANYTHING in Operations?), abnormal stress on Customer Care (you'll be expected to treat the idiotic sales people like Customers as well in this position), your schedule is made for you every day (what time your lunch will be, how long you'll be in "phones", and every minute throughout your day needs to be accounted for if it doesn't adhere to your "schedule" - that includes bathroom breaks!), all of the phone calls that you take (you'll be required to answer those in script form) are recorded and scored (that involves the activity on your computer screen as well), all of the mindless data entry you do is scored and picked apart ("you typed Carz 4 U instead of Cars For You - 4 points off!"), this company subscribes to the 80's dinosaur practice of "stacked rankings" (it encompasses your phone score, data entry score, and the amount of data entry you complete) - be prepared to be pitted against everyone on your team and talk about those rankings 2x/month with managers, unpredictable hours (you'll be fulfilling enrollments for the entire company, and they ALL need to be done before you even think of leaving at your scheduled time), low pay

13 people found this review helpful