KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.0
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cars.com and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Sales at cars

May 13, 2021 - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They are the best vendor for dealers. Very fair

Cons

Benefits ate not as good as the other companies

2. 4.0

Decent but limiting

Oct 6, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good salary for entry level job

Cons

Constant tech issues outside your control, making your job much harder than it needs to be

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exceeded my expectations!

Jan 27, 2021 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

So many companies claim that they have a good culture in interviews and on the surface, but CARS truly cares about each employee and embodies what it means to have an empowering company culture. Upper management is EXTREMELY accessible and involved in a positive way in your normal work day and the whole company has a common drive for success. The amount of recognition and shoutouts people get for hard work here is remarkable and constant (and ins't forced). CARS did an amazing job with a fully virtual new hire onboarding and training experience. I have never stepped foot in the office once; however, I have been able to excel in the job so quickly and that is due to the training and the way that they have made work from home so natural. If you're looking for a good virtual work experience, this is the place - they've absolutely killed it! From the moment I started working at CARS, there was already an open and ongoing conversation about what my next step would be. Management invests time and effort in your career development and wants you to succeed. Can't say enough good things!

Cons

Sometimes working with dealers can be a little disheartening, but if you take what you learn in training and keep a positive attitude, you truly can be successful and get good at the job.

4. 4.0

Fun company to work for

Jul 18, 2021 - Account Manager in Chico, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Travel to car dealers to discuss being on the site. Enjoyed my time and was very successful

Cons

Cars.com went public and work landscape changed.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Well established company, but with a startup feel

Jan 26, 2021 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been here for 6 years and I still enjoy this company as I did when I started and when everything was new and exciting. The company truly cares about their employees and invests in them in every way they can. We were one of the first companies to start working from home when Covid hit, and are still working from home for the safety of all of our employees. Not to mention, understandably our pay got cut by 10% for a few months in the early on of the pandemic, and they paid it back to us last month. This shows you how much they care about their people. There is a lot of support from leadership and direct managers. I work with some smart and humble people who are always ready to help. +Culture +People +Benefits +Product

Cons

None at this time other than things sometimes take too long to get done Need newer technology

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

What a shame

Apr 30, 2021 - Regional Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to start career with and develop skills which you can carry to your next opportunity.

Cons

Culture over years has diminished to point where employee moral is non existent. The business may be in trouble with increased debt and increased declining dealer count year over year. This combined with increased competition taking more and more marketshare is a recipe for continued layoffs and contraction.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee

good place to work

Jun 18, 2021 - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance was possible

Cons

worried about business model surviving

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

No org is perfect, but Cars.com is pretty great.

Aug 14, 2020 - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Cars.com for 6 years and held four different roles. Some of the biggest positives were: 1) Great people. People really care about you, about your family, and about your well-being. I'm so grateful for the relationships I built and for the caring people I got to work with for so long. 2) Opportunities to learn. Working at Cars.com accelerated my career significantly. If you're hungry to learn and can work well with others, the ceiling is high. 3) Clearer strategy. Early on, strategy wasn't clear. In the last year or two, Cars.com became much clearer on their end goal to be a solutions provider for automotive dealerships.

Cons

Cars.com went through several ownership changes and went public during my tenure. This meant lots of executive leadership changes and lots of strategy changes. I personally feel like the company is in a much better place now, but that constant change can be hard for people. Another challenge is unclear integration with the two companies Cars.com acquired during my time. It's been several years now, but there still isn't much clarity or progress around how these companies should integrate and how to best deliver for our customers.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Good Company with Great People and Culture

Jul 14, 2020 - Senior Business Development Manager in Columbus, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cars Inc. offers flexibility with home and work balance. Great Teamwork. Great Diversity. Cars have escalated and raised their game in their industry innovation and technology. Is conscientious of their customers ROI As with most companies, your direct supervisor impacts how you are rewarded and motivated to reach your goal. Most upper management is passionate and thoughtful of their employees'/teams' successes and growth. Opportunity for advancement but may include travel and the possibility of relocating. Time off - offering recharge days (COVID 19), volunteer and vacation time is better than most companies 401K match options (with my hire date -tenure). Benefits - I feel are sufficient....as much as insurance can be

Cons

Compensation could be better but the home and work balance sufficed this for me.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Short-Term Focus -- Quantity Over Quality!

Oct 9, 2020 - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company: - Great office location and environment! - Lots of social events and ways to get involved/meet new people throughout the company AM Department: - Awesome group of people who are always willing to help! - Team members are always seeking to collaborate on new efforts - Close knit group both inside and outside of work

Cons

Company: - Outdated technology products/systems - Poor communication accross departments - Lots of process redundancies that can often hinder performance and, as a result, negatively affect customers AM Department: - Strong emphasis on the quantity of people reached at different accounts as opposed to individual account health and actual customer satisfaction - Zero recognition for account retention numbers (quality) / Contstant recognition for the number of accounts reached (quantity) Commonly heard from managment: "Don't share this info with the Account Executives" "How many accounts have you reached today?" "Your commission structure is changing"

Viewing 1 - 10 of 88 Reviews