Find jobs for Sales Manager

3.7
Cars.com CEO & President Alex Vetter
Alex Vetter

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Cars.com and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Sales at cars

May 13, 2021 - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They are the best vendor for dealers. Very fair

Cons

Benefits ate not as good as the other companies

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

What a shame

Apr 30, 2021 - Regional Sales Manager in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company to start career with and develop skills which you can carry to your next opportunity.

Cons

Culture over years has diminished to point where employee moral is non existent. The business may be in trouble with increased debt and increased declining dealer count year over year. This combined with increased competition taking more and more marketshare is a recipe for continued layoffs and contraction.

3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Do not waste your time!

Apr 29, 2020 - Regional Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Since they went public, there are none.

Cons

The culture at Cars used to be phenomenal and about the people. They are no longer concerned about the people, they are more concerned with the bottom line. This company is bleeding in revenue and have no idea how to manage their finances.

12 people found this review helpful
  4. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

They take care of their people

Sep 23, 2019 - Regional Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Typically has attracted very talented individuals and tons of learning opportunities. A lot of flexibility. Great product.

Cons

Important that you can adapt to change. I think overall jobs today require folks to be nimble and be ready for change at all times.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

Fun culture, difficult customers, occasional training

Mar 5, 2013 - Inside Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, open door policy, ability to network at fun events.

Cons

Sales training is minimal- feel like your thrown in with the wolves- dealers are very difficult customers! I had a really hard time at first and see it with every new group of people. Although they hire salespeople with experience, they expect you to learn on your own time and on the job... When i first started, I often felt like I was practicing on my money since your territory is limited. I can only imagine how someone in the field must feel at first! No real promotion track. They want to keep you in sales - whether that’s outside (must move to other cities where no national affiliate is present) or management (which is limiting). But honestly, unless you want a big paycut, you should probably stay in some type of sales role.

6. 5.0

Learning + Relationships + Innovative Product=Happy Former Employee

Dec 6, 2017 - Sales/Account Management in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Invaluable experience and even better team mates. I started at Cars as an intern right out of college and then moved in Account Management and later Inside Sales. I made lasting relationships, honed my communication skills, learned from great leaders and sold/managed a product I really believed in. I look back fondly at my time with them and wish the team all the best successes in the future.

Cons

As with any inside sales organization there are challenges. Difficult customers (car dealers) and sometimes slow moving process changes (we still faxed contracts..but you have to meet you clients where they are). The salary/pay was not great, but I was young and fortunate that money was not the main factor- I wanted to learn. Some other employees were tenured and lazy, negative etc- that was sometimes hard to be around when you are young/just starting your career.

Cars.com Response

Cars Representative

Thank you for the great feedback. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a fruitful experience during your tenure at Cars.com. We always encourage our employees to grow, learn and expand their skillset. It is great to see our focus on training and development paid off during your time. Our space is ever-evolving, we pride ourselves in being innovators in the space, with a strong commitment to advancing technology throughout the industry. We also participate in external meet ups and local organizations of all functions to keep abreast of what’s happening in the community and best practices to implement internally as well.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Went downhill fast

Feb 17, 2019 - Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home, good benefits.

Cons

limited growth if you don't live in Chicago

Cars.com Response

Cars Representative

It’s unfortunate to learn that your time at Cars.com hasn’t been everything we’d hoped it be. Our employees’ career growth is important to us and not something we take lightly. We appreciate you sharing so we can learn from it and get better.

8. 5.0

Awesome Experience

May 3, 2017 - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Cars.com for nearly four years and could not be more satisfied with my experience with the company. Cars.com employs some of the best people I have ever worked with and has a culture that is second to none. Cars.com also provides one of a kind career pathing opportunities for all of their employees. During my tenure I was able to experience four different roles within the sales department. I always felt empowered/supported by upper management and will cherish the nearly four years I spent with the company. I have and will continue to refer my friends to work for Cars.com.

Cons

My only con is that our office was a bit out dated but Cars is moving to a brand new state of the art building next month. This will make it even easier to win the war on talent in Chicago.

9. 5.0
    Former Employee

Fun and fulfilling experience with incredible people.

Dec 19, 2015 - Affiliate Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The product truly works for dealer clients, customers and users. It's easy to be passionate about a service and product that delivers value to everyone using it. - Vast majority of employees in all departments seem to really care about their job and take it seriously. Management teams have a good record for making generally great hires. - Loved the company focus on innovation and putting the end-user first when making product and practice decisions.

Cons

- Potential risk of losing the 'small company' culture if big corporation ownership gets too involved - Interdepartmental communication can be difficult as with any large organization

10. 4.0

Inside Sales Manager

Apr 10, 2017 - Inside Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall good company, product and go to market strategy. Positive culture was the biggest pro, as I met some great friends.

Cons

Need to provide a more competitive salary, not in align with all the booming tech companies. Specifically, the base is very low.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews