Carta Reviews | Glassdoor

Carta Reviews

Updated Nov 30, 2019

4.0
Carta CEO Henry Ward (no image)
Henry Ward

"Killer company culture and growth opportunities in a very people-forward environment."

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growth Opportunities Solid Leadership Good Benefits Great Office Location

Cons

Disappointing Base Salaries Difficult Parking Cramped Office

Carta2019-11-30

"Carta is a great place to grow as an engineer as we scale into the top equity management and private liquidity platform."

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast growing company Equity growth with frequent liquidity opportunities Daily catered lunch and Friday group restaurant trips Passionate and caring executive team Shiny new office in San Francisco with fantastic city views I love the product I'm working on building. I think it'll be a game changer for private equity liquidity.

Cons

They did away with annual bonuses a couple years ago, which seems odd since we're growing very fast.

Advice to Management

Many silicon valley companies offer annual bonuses. Please bring this back.

Carta2019-10-18
  3. "Enjoyable co-workers and strong mission"

Current Employee - People Team

I have been working at Carta full-time

Pros

Very transparent Strong mission Helpful culture Fast-paced environment

Cons

Loved my experience so far. The fast-paced environment may not be for everyone

Carta2019-10-11
  4. "Everything They Say They are"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Benefits -Salary - Leadership -Product

Cons

As any start-up, they are still trying to put parameters on different aspects of the business.

Advice to Management

Keep on Keeping on

Carta2019-10-03

"Love working here"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I work with are great. We've built an extraordinary sales team filled with hard working people who are always willing to help. The atmosphere around the office is very friendly. We're able to take time throughout the day to go on walks with people throughout different orgs to get to know them

Cons

Because we are growing so quickly, the space available in the office is becoming less and less. We're starting to run out of desk space

Carta2019-08-19

"Visionary leadership, Promotes personal development, Fast pace"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Daily lunch provided, certification reimbursement, quick growth, stock options, collaborative/helpful coworkers

Cons

Unstructured employee training, no clear CSR efforts

Advice to Management

Promote more CSR efforts that employees can get involved in.

Carta2019-07-23
  7. "Hyper growth company with tons of opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

- a huge opportunity ahead of us. Carta is still in its infancy - great people and a fun environment. The new office is awesome - if you're a builder and like challenges, this is a great company to be at

Cons

- being a hyper-growth company, things move quickly. not for everyone, for people who thrive in that environment, this is a great place - company is still relatively young, so at times processes aren't there that a mature company might have

Carta2019-06-28

"Overall a great company"

Current Employee - Valuation Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong company culture that values transparency, helping others, and hard work. CEO and execs are extremely transparent and we have opportunities to hear from them multiple times a week in show & tell and town hall meetings. They share product vision, roadmap, and high level plans for other strategic initiatives so we always feel well informed and in the loop. There is a general feeling of excitement amongst employees at Carta for the product we’re building and the trajectory the company is on and we all feel like we’re really building an innovative product that will really change how the capital markets operate. Company isn’t perfect but they are genuinely responsive to feedback. We have a platform for surfacing feedback and concerns anonymously straight to the top of the organization, and execs address these concerns in town hall meetings. Henry (CEO) admits when he makes mistakes and when the company isn’t perfect. Perks are pretty great: free catered lunch, kitchen fully stocked with snacks daily, unlimited sick days, 16 days PTO first year and 19 days second year, phone stipend, 401k with match, etc. Company supports career development and has made an effort to outline across all organizations what it takes to progress in your career and get promoted at Carta.

Cons

Some teams and departments are more dysfunctional than others. Company has struggled a bit with defining the evolving aspects of its culture as the company has scaled. Sometimes the work and expectations can feel a bit demanding and we don’t always feel we have an outlet for relieving stress. All in all, although Carta isn’t a perfect company, it makes a sincere effort to acknowledge and address its flaws and I have to give credit to that.

Advice to Management

Continue to solicit and respond to feedback from employees (especially as it relates to culture) and promote a culture of radical candor and transparency.

Carta2019-06-27
  9. "Amazing growing company!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, pay and benefits. Excellent equity awards

Cons

Normal startup growing pains, though they are starting to figure things out.

Advice to Management

Keep working to improve communication.

Carta2019-06-18

"High growth Fintech Startup - we're treated great as employees"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been at Carta since February of 2018. This is my favorite company that I've worked for -- to summarize: 1. The company's ethos is to "Create more Owners" -- as employees our benefits, pay, commission, equity, flexibility in working schedules, are all on par or better than the startups that everyone knows. 2. Catered lunch everyday - salad bar, different vendors, full kitchen with drinks/fresh fruit/snacks, etc. 3. Every employee receives equity 4. Work from home flexibility 5. Realistic challenge in job function -- on the sales team we're held to a high standard, but quotas are realistic and commission plans are very fair 6. Good culture - the company promotes 1:1's (I just took a walk with an executive all I had to do was throw time on his calendar), team lunches that are paid for, team events, etc. 7. High growth - the future is bright for Carta for a number of different reasons: well capitalized, big plans, great market share and continuing to grow, Marc Andreessen (one of the most renowned VC's and former founder of Netscape) is on our board, CEO Henry is one of the most thoughtful visionaries in the tech space, the list goes on

Cons

1. Communication: at a high growth company, processes will always need to play catch up with the trajectory the company is on. Communication between departments has historically been clunky, but has undoubtedly improved in 2019. 2. Unique market = the equity/VC space wasn't something I was familiar with before starting. Being on the sales side and talking to experienced operators, lawyers, and heads of finance can be tricky if you don't understand the landscape/industry. I had to study/read/collaborate for a couple of months when I started to get a grasp on the space.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the products that we currently offer as we develop the new products that will change the landscape of employee ownership - cap table management, security issuance, reporting, boardroom product/resolutions/consents - that's what got us to where we are. Being a software company, let's make sure we continue to put out the best quality software and not spread ourselves too thin on different initatives.

Carta2019-06-17