Carta Reviews | Glassdoor

Carta Reviews

Updated Nov 15, 2019

4.1
Carta CEO Henry Ward (no image)
Henry Ward

"What is your favorite part of working at Carta? The people!"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Any time I start talking about where I work, I always get that question: "What is your favorite thing about working there? " and it always comes down to the people we work with. As a company going through hypergrowth, it's impossible to be perfect, but we're really good at surrounding ourselves with great people and trying our best to scale the organization with transparency and integrity.

Cons

As with any company growing at the same rate as we are, adding processes and hierarchy comes with its setbacks. Not all are happy with all the changes and sometimes it's hard for some to see the big picture and why in the long run, those are better for the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Keep making sure we only hire the best people and that only the best people stay onboard. We spend more time with our coworkers than family and spouses, so who starts and stays with us is a critical decision for everyone's wellbeing. Stay transparent. The level of transparency in this company is one I've never seen before and it makes employees feel like they're not just a number.

Carta2019-03-29

"Sexism and Fake Reviews"

I worked at Carta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunches, non-management coworkers were friendly

Cons

The execs and management are extremely sexist. They preach on about how gender diversity is needed, but oddly enough, will rarely hire women for management roles, while the engineering teams are comprised mostly of men. A former intern confided in me about how alone she felt as one of the few women in the company, and ended up leaving due to the toxic culture management spread in their vitriolic meetings.... Completely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Clean up house - restructure the management team.

Carta2019-04-15
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Another Sexist Startup"

I worked at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you will work with every day are amazing. That's the only good thing about this company.

Cons

In my time at Carta, I saw a ridiculous amount of sexism. I was a victim of this. HR was unhelpful and did nothing. And when I saw sexism, I mean good ole fashioned, not giving raises to women, not giving good accounts to women, and straight up firing the WOMEN. Everyone saw this- it was so clear. This company also fires faster than they hire. They fire EVERYONEEEE. You rarely see it coming too, and they're... great at making up bull reasons like "performance issues" for firing people. The CEO, Henry, is the worst human, ever. He is an egotistic narcissist and even though the company is doing seemingly 'well' right now, there are a ton of warning signs. I don't see them making it. (Go watch the documentary for Theranos, working for this company reminded me sooo much of that).

Advice to Management

The leadership at this company needs to change. This is a crazy power struggle, and its clear you just do everything you want, even when it is completely unjust. Get it together.

Carta2019-04-04

"Growing pains, growing workload, growing stress"

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Catered lunches, free beverages, wellness room

Cons

The company is constantly changing, restructuring departments and expectations without providing a transition period or support from management. Extremely overworked and underpaid with long hours, and they continue to try and squeeze more work from us. Although they try to “maintain” a neutral work environment, the pecking order is already permanently in place. The lower ranking employees are treated like crap.... Preferential treatment is rampant. It’s the perfect environment for burnout.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Although it’s great to reach for the stars, don’t be unhappy when you fail. Provide transition periods anytime you change expectations. Create expectations and goals that are attainable, not unrealistic. Employees can’t make miracles happen overnight. It’s great you’re hiring so much, but maybe you should support the employees you have before bringing more on board.

Carta2019-04-04

"Rocketship, but a bumpy ride."

I have been working at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

- "Always be helpful" is the company motto and most people really do live by it. - Recently hired execs and leadership will hopefully bring a lot of positive change and direction. - Amazing product-market fit. This company is going places, in spite of itself. It's an internal saying because despite all the internal challenges we've had, we still continue to do well financially. - Transparency. Employees are... invited to sit in on monthly metrics meetings and see updated company financials. There is also a weekly AMA with the exec team.

Cons

- No company values. - In two years, only heard one person in leadership say that people were the most important thing at the company (and that was only one time), and it shows in the decisions they make. - Don't put their money where their mouth is in areas like diversity/inclusion and career development. - No feedback culture up until last year (no 360's/performance evaluations or levels/job descriptions), and... it shows. - No recognition culture up until last year (people were actually told by the CEO at an all hands not to give one another recognition because it might cause dependency on positive feedback), and it shows. - People management viewed as a necessary burden/evil up until last year ("I'm sorry," rather than "congratulations" when people got promoted), and it shows. - There's a trend of there being lots to learn and do the first year of employment, then things tend to plateau. Many times the only growth option provided is to switch departments and start over at the junior level, which isn't great for long term career trajectory. - CEO takes way too long to start listening to people who tell him about things that need to change. This leads to people (including execs) not wanting to bring things up to him.

Advice to Management

- Choose company values and live by them. - Prioritize and invest in your people and stop viewing everyone as replaceable. People will bend over backward for you if they think you'll support them in return. - Figure out how to improve long-term opportunities/growth of employees.

Carta2019-02-20

"Keep Going"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Carta is very transparent. Management is very effective at sharing information throughout the company. Benefits are on par with that you would expect from a FinTech company. The vision for the company and potential is insane (in a good way). Carta has a very pioneering spirit that transmits through the different departments. There is also a feeling of delegation where micro-managing typically doesn't occur. Henry,... the CEO, seems just as blown away as new features are presented as the rest of us, suggesting that he has full confidence in every department and is not watching over everybody's shoulder. Great work-life balance. Great Maternity/Paternity Leave. Great 401k match!

Cons

I think career growth and movement is always a need in every company. In a start-up environment, this can sometimes be overlooked. Carta is making great steps to increase this benefit so I would simply encourage you to keep going. Company swag could continue to improve as well.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage career growth and growing within Carta. Some of us want to stay with the company for a long time and hiring from within facilitates that. Continue to encourage and reward innovation/creative thinking at all levels.

Carta2019-01-10

"Existing leadership not qualified or experienced to take company to the next level."

Former Employee - Sales in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Capable in their current line of business (Cap Table Management)

Cons

Leadership and business line managers have no previous experience in taking a company into the Enterprise Level Clients - even though CEO says this is where the company is spending their lastest funding round. Does not understand and have a clear plan on how to grow the business and competing in the Public Markets (vs private). This leads to a change in direction, priority and focus month to month, which causes... clients to lose confidence in the ability to be a long term partner. In pursuing big clients, Carta will 'promise and commit' to building features that are not in the product if the clients commits to signing. Carta needs to understand that no large company is willing to make that bet on such a critical piece of their business

Advice to Management

Replace existing Sr. Management that do not not have the skillset to lead the company into the future and continue to hire leaders with proven track records of success. Dont give away products and services for free and then come back and charge them 10x after theyve become a client.

Carta2019-01-26

"Team neglected, unnecessarily stressful"

Current Employee - Support

I have been working at Carta full-time for less than a year

Pros

great culture, great people, constantly evolving

Cons

lacks internal organization, hard to recruit headcount and extremely swamped. Need to watch out for yourself within the organization. The squeaky wheel gets the grease at Carta.

Advice to Management

Be an advocate for the support team within the organization. We are forgotten, but arguably have one of the most stressful jobs keeping clients happy with a broken product.

Carta2019-01-17

"Implementation Manager"

Implementation Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Carta for more than a year

Pros

Fun and challenging atmosphere that cultivates growth. You learn something new every day and there are many opportunities to move up or around within the company.

Cons

Some days can be long but that's to be expected in the fin-tech space.

Carta2019-01-02

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Carta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Carta has a fantastic culture, and it is a real joy to go to work every day. The people in the salt lake city office are lovely. I loved every minute of it while I was there.

Cons

The sales team got stupid and hired way more they could sustain. I left because I would have made more money. But even today I so miss the people again the culture is beautiful.

Advice to Management

Don't be stupid, think how your reps will scale, non-ramped reps only take a toll on your team and great people will leave. It's a great company, please don't screw it up.

Carta2019-01-14