Carter Lumber Yard Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Neil C. Sackett

"Great Place"

Current Employee - Yard Specialist

I have been working at Carter Lumber

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great management.

Cons

Bad pay. Hard to move up corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

You good.

Carter Lumber2015-05-17

"Terrible place to buy lumber, worse place to work"

Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Flint, MI

I worked at Carter Lumber full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lower level coworkers are generally decent folks.

Cons

I've been to most of their Michigan and Ohio locations as a customer, supplier and employee, they all seem to be the same. First and foremost, the management staff are the worst part. They sometimes pretend to care, but their actions don't reflect that at all. When I was employed there, they fired three new guys, two for very minor infractions, and one who was a veteran with minor ptsd issues. There is minimal professionalism...

Advice to Management

Treat your people better. Most of your employees are on a first name basis with your customers. When your people don't hate their job, they treat the customer better. When the customer gets taken care of , they buy more and provide word-of-mouth advertising. Which will increase the bottom line you care so much about.

Carter Lumber2014-10-29
  3. "not that great. the wadsworth branch shut down and any other location near was not busy enough to transfer me elsewhere."

Former Employee - Yard Specialist in Wadsworth, OH

I worked at Carter Lumber

Pros

i guess it is a good job if you are in college like i am. just a low paying but steady job to get you through.

Cons

it shut down and left me jobless. any other higher positions were taken and did not need any others, so i was nowhere near a promotion. the management sucked,

Advice to Management

corporate needs to step it up. if the right people were running this and taking risks and making right decisions along with the correct and right amount of advertising carter lumber would be the absolute best lumber company in the u.s. i believe even better than home depot! if i was in the family/owner of carter lumber i know the 1st changes i would be making!!!

Carter Lumber2011-02-24