Cartridge World Reviews | Glassdoor

Cartridge World Reviews

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Tasked daily with repairing equipment and components that were never intended to do what we made them do (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Unless you can become a franchise owner (particularly a multi-francise owner), the likelihood for major, long-term growth and advancement is slim (in 3 reviews)

• The only one I have encountered is that there are no benefits (in 3 reviews)

1. "Could have been Awesome…No Senior Management Leadership"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Nash, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Nash, KY

I worked at Cartridge World full-time

Pros

The products and savings are something every small business needs. And its a go=green business!

Cons

No SR Management with Leadership Skills. Needed to help franchisees consolidate retail locations and supply chain

Advice to Management

Get a strong CEO who will invest in advertising and social media

"Sort of unorganized"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Douglasville, GA

I worked at Cartridge World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co is co-owned. One owner is no so nice, while the other is (could it be because he's a pastor)?

Cons

There is no real training. Was put on the cash register and by myself on the second day of working.

Advice to Management

Train associates in all aspects of the job before leaving them alone to fend for themselves.

3. "Awesome opportunity to recycle rather than fill our landfills. The opportunities are endless!!!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hanover, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hanover, PA

I worked at Cartridge World full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To educate others on recycling ink & toner cartridges for their printers & fax machines

Cons

Competing with OEM's and the warranty myths

Advice to Management

Patience

4. "While promoting a good line and reasonable product, this franchise will not last."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cartridge World full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cartridge World does provide an inexpensive alternative to the high cost of ink and toner cartridges. They promote green projects and encourage recycling of cartridges and phones.

Cons

Each franchise is individually owned under the authority of a "Master" who is a regional representative. Some of the masters a good and work hard to support their franchisees. Some of the masters are not so good and have no management or supervisory skills. The company is extremely expensive for franchisees and have one of the highest royalty rates in the country. They have come under the microscope of the SBA in the past, although they claim it is resolved. Additionally, they have too many restrictions on the franchisees that make some business decisions impossible. To truly make make in the franchise you need to own more than one store or get in, make your profit and get out; quickly.

Recently, they continue to preach re manufactured products while internally moving to compatible cartridges which are made in China, Malaysia, Viet Nam among others.

Advice to Management

Get involved with the franchisees and manage!

5. "It was only alright..."

Former Employee - Ink Technician in Manhattan, KS
    Former Employee - Ink Technician in Manhattan, KS

I worked at Cartridge World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the actual work. It was fun working with the syringes and needles (used to fill the ink cartridges).

Cons

The manager I worked for was not at all up-to-par. Depending on your local office, it will be fine. Some of my co-workers were fun too, but of course that depends on your different location.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and pay them on time, like you're suppose to.

6. "An OK place to work"

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Casper, WY

I worked at Cartridge World part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For those customers who are satisfied with this service, it's a pleasure to deal with them. People appreciate saving money on overprices ink for their printers, and our location offered free delivery.

Cons

It seemed we had about a 50% return rate, so about half the customers were unhappy. Sometimes the wrong item was packed in the wrong box. Both of these situations make the company, and us employees, seem very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

The problems are quite clear, far too many defective returns, each one costs you a customer. After several months there I gave my notice because I didn't want to be associated with a company I would refuse to use for myself. Each location is different so maybe other locations had a lower defect ratio, I just know I could not separate myself from this company fast enough.

7. "The Global Ink and Toner refill leader, has pretty good quality. Beats full retail cost by 30- 50%"

Current Employee - Ink Technician in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Ink Technician in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Cartridge World full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Each location is independently owned, so it is considered a small business. If you are tired of the large corporate world and looking for something smaller, then this is a good fit. It is easy work, helping with customer service at the counter, and learning how to refill ink cartridges. Work week is rarely if ever over 40 hours. If you are good at helping customer troubleshoot printer issues over the phone, or in person, then this could be what you are looking for.

Cons

The refill industry is plagued by OEM efforts to undermine your efforts, with the cartridges themselves. A fair amount of 'defective' and actual defective cartridges take place each week. When I say 'a fair amount' I am actually saying it seems like a lot, but in all actuality it is probably closer to less than one percent of all cartridges produced in a week. Customers seem to have a difficult time grasping the difference between 'low ink warning' and an actual defective cartridge, so more time needs to be spent educating them. Some customers just don't want to take the time to understand how a refill behaves, and they expect them to act just like the OEM cartridge, so they get disappointed or upset.

Advice to Management

The franchise owners seem to be 'all alone' in their discovery of how to really make their Cartridge World franchise a success. It seems that CW Corporate has no problem taking franchise fees, but the support from Corporate seems to be lacking. As an example, I would expect that when I am needing to order compatibles, or ink, or other necessary equipment to keep my business running, day to day, that I would get the best prices from my own CW warehouse. That is rarely the case. In fact, I am finding that I am doing more ordering from other wholesale or even retail sites that offer better pricing by far, than I get from my own company. That's a shame! When a franchise owner buys into your business, you need to be offering him/her every opportunity to continue buying from The CW Warehouse, not go else where. Giving price breaks for returned purchase opportunities is the way to go. Also, the POS software is a JOKE! It's called Retail Pro, but it should really be named Retail (non)Pro, Retail Amateur, or even Retail Random. If you are unclear as to what I am talking about, you should try using that software yourself. It won't take long and you will see what I am talking about. CW Corporate, you can do much better!

8. "Saves Money and the environment"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Chico, CA

I worked at Cartridge World part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very sustainable company.
    Community involvement
    knowledgeable staff
    friendly customers
    flexible schedule
    decent wages

Cons

part time only for sales.
    No paid holiday's
    No paid vacation

9. "not rewarding."

Former Employee - Ink Technician in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Ink Technician in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

flexible schdedule and great training of products

Cons

poor management distribution and communication

10. "An unmotivating company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Nice office location

Cons

Located in warehouse district, unsafe at night

Advice to Management

Provide employees with better compensation and incentive programs. Recognize and reward employees who demonstrate strong performance.