Carus Reviews | Glassdoor

Inga Carus

"Good plate to work"

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Peru, IL
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Peru, IL

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Challenging career
    Great safety record

Cons

Benefits are terrible, health insurance is a joke

"CEO doesn’t care anymore. Only cares about money."

Current Employee - Plant Support in La Salle, IL
    Current Employee - Plant Support in La Salle, IL

I have been working at Carus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be a really great place to work.

Cons

It’s not a good place to work. I’m reading what the other people have reviewed and I agree. The problem is with the executive committee and especially Inga the CEO. There have been so many people that have worked real hard and she doesn’t have any loyalty to us. She makes a lot of money from the company but she acts like there are real hard times. The company is cutting costs right now because she thinks their not making enough money. She got rid of some people to cut costs including one guy who was here over 40 years, the customer service manager that we all liked at the plant, and the HR person who was out having her baby. It scares me to work for a company where they can just cut you and not care. It’s not real stable here and people are quitting left and right whenever they can because they don’t treat people right. The problem is that the bosses think everything is ok and they are in lalaland. Even with all of the people quitting and talking about how bad it is, they still don’t care about us and probably won’t care about you either.

Advice to Management

Benefits are really bad and the doctors are not even in our network anymore since the hospital got bought. There are a lot of us trying to leave and I hope that Inga realizes how bad she treats us before that happens. if she thinks business is bad now, wait until all the people who know what their doing and care leave. Its gotten worse every year for us employees since her dad stopped running it.

"Current employees are trying to get out. Awful CEO."

Current Employee - Technician in La Salle, IL
    Current Employee - Technician in La Salle, IL

I have been working at Carus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good bond between us co-workers

Cons

This used to be a good company to work for, but when the CEO lost her mentor a few years ago when he passed away, she has made many bad decisions and is treating employees very poorly. She works us all very hard and doesn’t give us raises or bonuses. She gives us information about the company financials that make it look like we have a chance at our bonus all year, but then at the end of the year, the numbers suddenly look bad and we don’t get our bonus even though we worked hard all year and met our goals. She has lots of profit from the work that we do, but buys company cars and an airplane for management to use instead of giving us increases or bonuses. She has been firing employees lately too to reduce costs and that has many people like myself looking for a new job. Even employees that have been there for a long time aren’t safe. Do yourself a favor and look for a different company that will actually respect you before taking a job at Carus.

Advice to Management

CEO doesn't care what we think.

"STAY AWAY OR JOIN A CLUELESS COMPANY!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Peru, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Peru, IL

I worked at Carus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very little pros here other than good people who are trying to make a difference but are held back by incompetent leadership of which the owner is the queen of incompetence.

Cons

There are so many cons I don't know where to begin but here's are a some: Poor technology and no desire to add new, incompetent and clueless leadership, especially the owner (Inga Carus), money spent on frivolous items like planes, limos and executive bathrooms while salary increases and incentives are withheld even though the company is highly profitable due to the actions and worth of the employees and not leadership. Work there only if you need a job and/or are in transition; otherwise, run and run away fast. This place is a black hole which will suck you in and not let go if you don't leave quickly, with no hope of positive change.

Advice to Management

Get a clue!

"Scary Place to work"

Former Employee - Employee in Peru, IL
    Former Employee - Employee in Peru, IL

I worked at Carus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn on how not to manage, supervise and lead people.

Cons

Scary place to work. Dirty, unhealthy, and just a plain crap hole.

Advice to Management

Spend some money to clean the place up. Stop wasting cash on limos and planes.

7. "Average Employer"

I worked at Carus full-time

Pros

Small company feel, your opinion is more easily heard.
    Decent benefits
    Flexible work schedule
    Community involvement

Cons

Older facility
    EHS challenges
    limited professional mobility

8. "Good company overall"

I worked at Carus (More than 3 years)

Pros

Carus has great people working at the company! The company has been around for over 100 years - solid company history. They emphasize community involvement and value it to the point that they allow volunteer days. The benefits are decent by today's standards.

Cons

Communication from management and among co-workers is poor. Some seem to have strong grip on information and don't share it - probably out of fear that they will no longer be needed if they don't hoard certain information. There is a "Good ole boy" type of an atmosphere. Leaders clearly try to push people out when they become disenchanted with them for some reason.

9. "Company wants to improve, but a long way to go..."

I have been working at Carus full-time

Pros

Many great people work here;
    Good opportunities for self-starter;
    Tuition reimbursement for children;

Cons

Many of the aforementioned "great people/employees" are getting frustrated and are leaving;
    Greedy company - do more with less and faster (creates frustration and negative morale);
    Lack of accountability;
    Very top-heavy;
    Illinois valley - small town with limited activities;

"Current Employee"

Pros

The benefits are very good and the long term employees are very knowledgeable, friendly and an asset to the company.

Cons

Management is not good about promoting from within or recognizing hard work and talent. They're more impressed with resumes and lip service from outside candidates.

Advice to Management

Attrition will continue and marketable employees will be lost to other companies. You will be left with people needing a job rather than wanting to work here.

11. "Great Place to work"

Pros

Properly recognized for work that you do. Competitive salary for the area that the business is located in. Tuition reimbursement... this company invests in you and the future of your family.

Cons

Employees are resistant to change