Carvana Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Ernie Garcia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a struggle" (in 15 reviews)

• "I would say that you have to have an open mind and remind yourself that the company is growing so quickly that there are a few growing pains" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Advocate
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate

I have been working at Carvana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice, friendly and care about employees

Cons

Have not been with the company long so unsure

"Great company!!"

Former Employee - Team Lead in Winder, GA
    Former Employee - Team Lead in Winder, GA

I worked at Carvana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, upper management who listens and cares. Tons of growth opportunities for those who desire to move forward. The owners are some great guys with vision. Regular guys when you talk to them, and that's exactly what they expect.

Cons

None to think of, great company to grow with!

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Advocate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Carvana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great community
    -awesome training
    -great leadership
    -benefits are awesome
    -pay is great

Cons

-traffic surrounding the building can be a little hectic

Advice to Management

None

"This jobs had a lot of perks that came with a lot of problems."

Pros

The company provides fun perks and benefits that are appealing.

Cons

Carvana pushes quantity all day long instead of quality. They don’t listen to constructive criticism and promote people based on popularity.

5. "Shadow of what we strived to be"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer I

I have been working at Carvana full-time

Pros

Drinks/snacks - Throughout the growth, they've continued to provide energy drinks, tea, coffee, soda/diet-soda and other items that are helpful for a lot of employees.

Coworkers - Most people are very friendly, smart and willing to help you out when you're encountering a problem. Product managers are okay sometimes at listening to ideas and somewhat reasonable about timelines unless it's a large project.

Growth - The year over year growth is great for exposure to building systems correctly/appropriately but more often than not it's been learning what happens when you build systems too fast. Great growth in the area of how painful it is when systems are over-engineered/complex when a more simple, flexible solution would've sufficed.

Office - The office is nice but the open-seating is quite crowded now. Limited parking and more desks just got installed in the area where we could go to play bags, ping-pong and relax so that benefit/perk is now gone which stinks when you need to decompress for a few minutes or think through a complex engineering problem.

Cons

We're doing too many things at once. We're trying to absorb new companies into the engineering org causing conflicts, spread incredibly thin across many of the teams and we're not in sync across many tracks causing these cross-track projects to take significantly longer than they should and reduce resources for other items we should be doing.

There are good intentions by the newer VP of Engineering, and the talent development staff that focus on the engineering/product side of things but a real lack of action on their part.

We were supposed to get a total benefits overview last year and didn't get it. Not even a whisper of why it's delayed. We were supposed to get reviews at least twice per year and as of late February, I have not heard anything about the review that was supposed to take place already.

We're told that raises can come at any time, but we're not supposed to talk about compensation in the reviews which doesn't really make sense because people want to know if they're tracking towards a larger title, more responsibility, and ultimately more money.

Management is fractured between the old guard and the new guard causing some friction on projects. Some engineering teammates don't know who they should listen to when it comes to making decisions as there isn't a unified message. Lacking the disagree and commit organizational value that we should be having with an org this large.

Compensation conversations are heavily influenced by what the future value of the company could become as opposed to the true value of the company today. Equity compensation often referenced in the context of how Carvana will be a $30 billion dollar company which has gotten old and rubbed many people the wrong way.

Raises are capped resulting in many people who work incredibly hard being capped at a 3-5% raise while the media announced last week that the executive team had their pay increased by 100% which has caused a lot of employees to become frustrated with the lack of transparency within the entire organization around the compensation process. Many of us see nothing wrong with executive pay increases as they hit their targets but it doesn't feel right to many of us that we can't seem to get more than a 3-5% raise no matter how hard we work to fuel the growth towards these targets.

Most of the time when there's company news we see it first from outside the company (media coverage) and then hours later we will get an e-mail about it. We've heard the same excuse about being a public company and there are rules about sharing information but it feels pretty bad to have worked many years here and have to hear exciting updates from outside sources before the company tells us.

Lots of my talented co-workers, who have gotten equity early on - management has never made things right with some in engineering who got unfairly left out of the initial equity rounds early on but seems like it'll never happen (sorry to the handful of you that it happened to, you deserve better and I hope it's made right but if not I would leave), are just waiting for the right amount of stock to vest so they can pursue other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Emails about our continued growth and how important everyone is are nice but that's just a pat on the back, there needs to be more done to have more retention. We cannot get to a $20-30 billion dollar company if we don't retain the subject matter experts for the various areas of the business. We have a real opportunity to make Carvana something special but the culture has taken a huge hit and the values that are up on that wall don't really seem to resonate nor matter anymore.

Keep your word about what you're going to do. Broken promises are the norm in the engineering department and for 3+ years we've been promised career paths, transparency about the merit compensation increase process and many more things. We still haven't seen them and that's just crushing to the morale of engineering.

Figure out how to create some more decompressing areas. The engineering work is hard at times and we need a place to go play some ping-pong or darts or something. With the area by the kitchen now filled up with desks, we don't really have an area to go decompress. Not the worst thing in the world but it was a nice perk/benefit that helped us work through some complex problems.

NPS scores are great to improve (since Product won't shut up about them), but if our NPS was the equivalent of the 3.5/5.0 Glassdoor rating we have what would we do about it? That same effort externally should be matched internally.

Carvana is not a bad place to work at all, it's just not that 5-star experience it was when we all seemed to strive to not let Carvana turn into what it has started to turn into - a large corporation where profits rule everything and the culture takes a backseat. We would've been ashamed to see ourselves have a 3.5/5.0 overall rating on Glassdoor.

"Poor management and no ownership of mistakes"

Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Verification Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Carvana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starts at $18 an hour and they hire any with work experience or a degree

Cons

There is no ownership when it comes to mistakes. If a customer asks for a manager you are told to pass it on to another employee and have them say they are a manager. They have seniors that are there to assist with escalations but they will always say they are busy. Also this company has call overflow. Meaning that if you are trained on the underwriting team you can receive calls for a customer that has not received their vehicle registration or their vehicle showed up with a broken windshield. Lastly they required mandatory overtime from february until end of tax season...

Advice to Management

Create an escalation system and hold seniors accountable for actually doing work. Most of them are just cute girls who chat with each other all day.

"No clear leadership"

Current Employee - Transporter/Car Hauler in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Transporter/Car Hauler in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Carvana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, PTO, INSURANCE , home everyday

Cons

Night shift
    Management has no clue when it comes to logistics, they use the term “ load planner” loosely. As a driver that is governed by FMCSA it is extremely frustrating trying to plan around their constantly changing schedules.
    Trucks have meet points where we meet other drivers and swap trucks/loads, meet times are never on time so you can end up waiting for the other driver to arrive sometimes up to 2 hours that you didn’t plan on.
    Although we haul cars...I don’t believe there is one manager in the logistics department that has worked in the car haul industry and at times I wonder if any have even worked in the trucking industry. NO Managers have driven trucks and they have zero clue about the challenges that meet times changing at the last minute poses to sleep patterns and safety.
    Their CSA score is so bad their Pre-Passes for scales were taken away.
    Turnover here in Az is a constant swinging door and they can’t figure out why... they say they “ train drivers to haul cars” yet they are so short handed that a new driver will be turned lose his first day out of orientation and told to load a truck and go by himself day one!

Drivers suggestions and concerns are brushed aside and ignored. In their opinion, a college degree outweighs real world experience in the trucking industry where drivers have more than a decade ( some 2 or 3 decades) of actual in the seat experience.

Advice to Management

Take more time to train your drivers! Listen to drivers that have a wealth of experience in the trucking industry you do have a few.
    At what point do you look at your turnover and ask yourself what are you missing or doing wrong that causes otherwise good drivers to just give up within weeks.

"Company culture doesn’t trickle all the way down from HQ"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Houston, TX

I worked at Carvana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally consistent with hours, co-workers are friendly, and the employee breakroom is stocked with a variety of free drinks (soda, coffee, beer, wine, etc), food, and snacks.

Cons

Managers are wishy-washy with the rules, when to enforce them, and who they apply to. Employees are encouraged to “talk to management” in regards to questions, concerns, and comments but will turn around and use these things against you as they please. This establishes a poor sense of job security and ability to confide in management.

Advice to Management

CONSISTENCY! Your management often has double standards and cherry picking methods of rule enforcement!

"Awesome Company... But Still Finding It's Footing"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Carvana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Carvana for just under 8 months and I genuinely loved it most of the time.

1. People - as many of the reviews for Carvana will list, the people are fantastic and the company culture is one of helpfulness, friendliness, and fun (most of the time) which work together to make for a very enjoyable working experience. Kudos to the recruiting team for hiring people that mesh well with the existing environment.

2. Pay - The pay was very good. Definitely among the highest I’ve seen offered for the level of experience required for a base level customer service position.

3. Benefits - They offer multiple and extensive medical, dental, and vision benefits. There’s also paid time off given as a lump sum when you start, rather than accrued over time. There are employee discounts, employee-exclusive retail items, and fun freebies given out at random (think: t-shirts, food, and toys).

4. Growth opportunities - Because they were still growing rapidly, there were lost of opportunities to learn new and useful skills via cross-training and learning a specialization. This really facilitated people finding where their real passion was and then moving teams to focus on what they liked. We were also encouraged to apply for completely different positions within the company as we would be considered over outside applicants and our daily job performance would be reviewed as experience.

5 . Business ethics - This one may be strange to highlight, but it was very important to me. While I was there, we were encouraged to be 100% honest with the customer - meaning if we messed up, we owned it as individuals and as a company. There were no lies to keep track of, no step in the process that we weren’t allowed to share (aside from anything detailing confidential information, of course) which really helped to create a basis of trust for customers, and made the job a lot easier because we didn’t have to be careful about what we disclosed.

Cons

1. Hiring freeze - Management enacted a hiring freeze when they really shouldn't have because their customer base and popularity was still rapidly growing (they’ve at least doubled in size each year they’ve been in business). Then, shortly thereafter they froze interdepartmental transfers and cross-training because there was not enough staff to keep up with the incredible workload. That last part is especially important because it stopped employees from moving teams to do what they enjoyed - and more importantly, what they were good at. This left a lot of employees feeling stuck and frustrated, myself included.

2. Outside hire managers - the number one thing that I disapprove of in any large business is an outside hire into a management position. Especially with a company as steeped in carefully-cultivated culture as Carvana prides itself on being, it takes a while for *any* new hire to get a hang of the social/interpersonal expectations, much less the details of their actual job (and there's a LOT to learn). Putting someone in a management position when they aren't familiar with the company and proficient in the department/position they're supposed to be leading is a one-way ticket to frustration for all involved. Thankfully outside hires only happened rarely, but the issues created were (in my experience) so severe that it was one of the two leading causes for why I eventually left the company.

3. Metrics - When I started, metrics weren’t #1 priority. Instead, the promoted goal was to just be as helpful to the customer as possible no matter what that meant or how long it took, which was so awesome. In my experience, that often meant lots of detailed explanations of how the unique Carvana purchasing process worked so that the customer would have the correct expectations and end the conversation with a good impression of the company (for this point specifically, we were encouraged to inject our personalities and have fun with it, which was a wonderful and very welcome change from other call centers I’ve worked in). During the aforementioned hiring freeze when we were no longer able to keep up with the amount of work flowing in, management seemed to see this as productivity being down despite all teams working their tails off each day. In response, lunches were cut in half, numbers became prioritized over quality of service, and competitiveness was encouraged over camaraderie. This was the other leading cause for why I left, though I sincerely hope that it has changed since then.

Even after these issues that ultimately caused me to leave I still admire Carvana and I love the change that they’re working toward - creating a simpler, easier, more straightforward car buying experience that puts the customer in control. I still recommend them to others looking to buy a car, but as for internal operations they are clearly a new company (not even 6 years old at the time of writing this) and they are still learning and adjusting.

Advice to Management

From what I’ve experienced, this company thrives when you prioritize people over numbers - meaning, take care of your employees and they’ll take care of you. Never lose sight of the culture you created; protect and nurture it and it will serve you well.

10. "Carvana cares about its employees more than any other I've worked for"

Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Carvana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are intentional about caring for the customer and employees. I felt immediately valued and included.

Cons

Nothing too bad, I just didn't enjoy the schedule options, but that's the type of industry this is.

Advice to Management

Loved my management and all others I met