Carvel Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "No pressure"

Former Employee - General Employee in Huntington, NY
    Former Employee - General Employee in Huntington, NY

I worked at Carvel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with ice cream is all good
    Customers are in a good mood
    Making cakes is fun
    Get to test out product

Cons

There are really no cons except maybe the low pay but you can't exactly expect this to be a high paying job.

2. "Ice Cream Scooper"

Pros

Great culture, great manager, excellent training

Cons

nothing that needs improvement that I can think of

3. "Lots of issues, not sunshine and ice cream as you'd think.."

Former Employee - Team Member in Sunrise, FL
    Former Employee - Team Member in Sunrise, FL

I worked at Carvel part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment and employees were nice. Even the store owners. The training staff was also a pleasure to work with learning how to make ice cream cakes, cones and much more. I had fun learning how to make the treats.

Cons

This is a minimum wage job and if your state has a low pay rate, be prepared to make that amount of money. I barely worked at the front unless i was at the front making ice cream cakes or treats. My time was mostly spent in the back doing dishes, cracking cakes (Taking cakes out of the molds) and putting frosting on the cakes and putting them back in the freezer nonstop. That's all i did most of the time while employees were helping customers out in the front.

The store owners were pretty clueless in terms of telling the employees vital information when we were filling out paperwork during orientation. When i say we, i mean me and 20+ employees. I felt the amount of people they hired was making the store overstaffed considering the store is pretty small. For example, they never mentioned paid training and never mentioned if the employees were being cross-trained for everything during orientation. Some employees were learning things others didn't and it felt off knowing that one employee knew how to make waffle cones and another didn't. It felt like i was learning one new thing a day instead of multiple things a day, as you should in a job. I also hated having to ask what to do next after finishing a task compared to another job where you know what to do without bugging the Manager. It gave me the impression that the store owners were unorganized and complete newbies at running a business.

I was laid off because i was "too slow" and lasted at Carvel for 2 weeks. I worked at the store a week before the grand opening and was laid off the week after the store grand opening. The amount of time i was employed, it would've gave the store owners enough to time to decide if they needed me or not. If that's the case, they could've spoken to me about my speed as opposed to getting rid of me on the spot. I would've asked what the issue was and how to fix the problem with my speed. But, it never came up so they got rid of me right away.

Advice to Management

To the store owners, ask every important information to your employees. Don't leave employees out of the dark if they don't know they'll be cross-trained or getting paid for training. You as owners had a job before, you should know this by now. Just because most of the employees are teenagers doesn't mean you don't have to tell them everything about a job. It makes you look like shady business owners.

4. "Every Carvel is different"

I have been working at Carvel full-time

Pros

Free ice cream, pleasant work environment, fast paced so you'll always stay busy.

Cons

Pay sucks, but they're all independently owned so it's probably just my place of employment.

5. "Busy store especially in the summer!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Carvel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well and customer tips are great. There's always things to do so time goes by fast.

Cons

It's a tight space, so expect a sticky sweaty summer.

Advice to Management

Long live CICF!

6. "It was a fine summer job"

I worked at Carvel part-time

Pros

Great tips from nice people

Cons

Boring many times during the day

7. "Great Place"

Pros

Very nice and flexible great bosses

Cons

I did not have any cons working here owners are very nice and super flexible

8. "Server Position Review"

Pros

The Carvel I worked at taught me the tricks of the trade swiftly, in about 4 or 5 days. They trained me to use the register, to write on cakes, how to make every item on the menu, and how to serve customers. Management was kind and professional.

Cons

I can't think of too many cons, outside of the fact that the Carvel I worked at in particular was somewhat short-staffed (which meant that whenever the rush for the day came in, I had to be ready and prepared).

9. "Counter girl"

I worked at Carvel part-time

Pros

Great coworkers and teamwork. Fun environment to work in for a teenager.

Cons

Can get super busy at times.

10. "Pretty good"

Pros

Got quite a bit of tips

Cons

Making ice cream is very messy