Cascade Microtech Reviews | Glassdoor

Cascade Microtech Reviews

2.0
Mike Slessor

1. "Not The Cascade Of Old"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time

Pros

Generous time off (28 days PTO for 10 years service). No forced overtime or extra long workweeks.

Cons

Unbelievably clueless management in the Systems business unit. It is inconceivable that Cascade reappointed Claus Dietrich as head of this business unit after he nearly brought Suss to complete ruin (before Cascade bought Suss). However, it is not just Claus, the entire Systems management chain is flawed: lacking knowledge in this technology space, tyrannical, micromanaging... More downside includes the perils of international development with a team in East Germany, clueless marketing, and too many variations of products and "specials".

But perhaps the largest (and saddest) is the loss of the old-school Cascade culture to the cultures of Xerox and ESI (as new managers were hired from those companies). Systems was a really cool place to work back in the day...but not anymore.

Advice to Management

More democratic leadership. Seriously, listen to team members and take votes on major decisions, leveraging team members that do have experience in the technology space. And/or consider employment elsewhere. Be market driven not marketing driven.

2. "Lack of Responsibility"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Tanasbourne, OR
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Tanasbourne, OR

I worked at Cascade Microtech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This internship paid reasonably well and there were some great people that worked at Cascade.

Cons

I felt like I lacked direction and oversight when I worked here. I was set on a project when I first started and had very little follow up from my manager.

Advice to Management

Create a more structured program for your interns. Keep in mind that an intern is new to working in an engineering position full time. Better goals, both short term and long term, would improve productivity and morale.

3. "Was a great company - until they went public."

Pros

In this economy, any job is good and there still is a good balance between work and home. There are some good people left that are helpful, however the really good people that have been with the company are leaving. If you are good at kissing up and not working you can actually go far in this company.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, insurance benefits have become miniscule. I completely disagree with previous posting about the HR being good - that is laughable. Good ol boy culture is prevalent, as is a CYA mentality.

Advice to Management

If you want to build the best product, you should stop out-sourcing. If you are looking to sell the company or division you better hurry up.