Cascade Microtech Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "I love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

This is a little company on the way up. There is so much to do to help it grow that it is easy to have a big impact. I am also learning new things every day. The people are wonderful. There are no politics and there is a high level of trust.

Cons

If you want a company with really well defined processes and a lot of structure, this isn't the place for you.

"A growth company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is growing and profitable. You can make a difference working there if you want to.

Cons

Cascade does not have its culture sorted out. It's currently a combination of many small company cultures that have yet to bind

Advice to Management

Lead with passion and continue to follow your growth strategy. It's working.

3. "Love the culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am in accounting and I really enjoy it here. It's a culture where you can rely on everyone to get their work done accurately and on-time, and you're expected to do the same. The management is pretty hands off as long as you continue to get your work done, which makes for a great, low-stress environment. We also never miss celebrating a birthday or big occasion!

Besides just the working culture, we also have fun on the side. I personally, with 15-20 other players, enjoy playing foosball on breaks. There's great walking trails all around and during the summer, our complex backs right into a park with Frisbee golf! We always have pools for fantasy football or basketball, March Madness, and events throughout the year. There's an Events committee that puts on events like an ugly sweater contest, Blazer fan appreciation day, or reserving a conference room to stream the World Cup!

Tl;dr Tons of fun, and highly productive coworkers.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the shallow org structure that makes it difficult to move up. There are only a certain number of management spots, and there tends to be low turnover (which is nice, I guess, unless you want to move up).

Advice to Management

It would be nice to be able to stay connected to what is happening in the company more. To know how we're doing throughout the quarter compared to targets, how product development is going, and more general information about how the company is operating outside of whatever sphere you are in.

5. "Best Small Technology Company in Oregon"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time

Pros

- Cascade is a great technology company to work for, a hidden gem in the Silicon Forest of the Pacific Northwest. Lots of very smart people to work with and very hard problems to solve.
    - Good balance of leading edge technology + excellent work/life balance culture.
    - Products touch every aspect of our new digital world, future is very bright.

Cons

- Compensation is not as high as some of the other "tech giants" in the area.

Advice to Management

Dream Big. Stay Focused. Prepare for Success.

6. "Great Company, New Regime tough but fair"

Current Employee - Technician in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Technician in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company has changed over the last two years since I started working here years ago. The new regime, specifically in manufacturing, has been putting new policies and procedures in place which is helping move our company from a small, family owned business to a mid-large sized corporation. It was tough for me to accept at first, as what I had come to know was changing drastically. The new factory manager told us he had an open door policy and to bring up any concerns. After speaking with him personally, in what he called a 1 on 1? he explained the his vision and mission to me. It was refreshing to finally have some transparency, but conversations like this need to happen more often with more people.

The Pros:
    People are held accountable for their actions and performance
    Development path for Technicians
    Much better training system
    Opportunities for improvement, but you need to make it known that you want to advance
    Work/Life Balance is great
    Pay has gotten much better
    Transparency has gotten much better

Cons

New Management has high expectations of their, which has been difficult to adjust to for tenured employees.
    Benefits are below average
    Loss of Small company culture

Advice to Management

Please have more face time with your technicians. Take more time to explain what the new vision and mission for the factories are in terms we understand and can relate to.

7. "For the most part...positive."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Pros

The employees are generally very 'team' oriented without some of the cut throat type of behavior at some bigger companies like Intel. Management really attempts to treat the people in their groups fairly and respectfully.

Cons

Due to the present economic 'realities', pay has really not kept up to pace with where they should be relative to similar positions within the industry.

Advice to Management

If Cascade wants to hang on to their most valuable people, management needs to seriously consider paying them fairly for the value that they bring to the company. Some very valuable people have already left to go work for companies that better compensate for their skills and talents. Also, the review process and the rewards (pay increases) that come from the review process needs to be consistently applied. I recieved an excellent review (in the high 80's percentile) and did not recieve a raise in pay where others did recieve a raise simply because they had not gotten one in a long time.

8. "Very challenging and adventurous company to work for."

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment. Plenty to do and still a small company so the opportunity to make an impact is great. Many different areas of work within a department which makes it fun. One day you might work on electrical and the next day it might be mechanical or both. All of the upper management are accessible to any employee so there's transparency of information. Very flexible work schedule around school or family emergencies.

Cons

Because things are fast paced you have to not let the small things bother you such as different management styles, antiquated software or equipment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Our management team has improved greatly over the past 5 years. They have a vision and goals to get there with results to show for.
    Please continue to reward those that produce product; like a well oiled machine, it will run smoother and continue to print profits if the incentives grow.

9. "High tech company that acts like a family business"

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time

Pros

The people who work at Cascade are great! Everyone is very friendly and the work-life balance is unheard of in high-tech. Most people work from 8am-5pm and there's a lot of flexibility. There are a lot of people who have been here for a long time, so there's a family feeling to every department. The customer list is very impressive - all the top names in the semi-conductor industry. There is no hierarchy and the CEO makes a point of knowing all employees. It's pretty cool to have him greet you by name as you see him walking down the hall.

Cons

Management is slow to make changes or improvements because everyone is scared of upsetting employees or hurting feelings. New ideas get brought up but seem to die out quickly if there is a possibility that someone might take offense or be upset by the change. There is a lot of catering to the people who complain the loudest, rather than being fair across the company/departments. Ideas that do get launched seem to last a couple months, then we go back to the way we've always done things.

Advice to Management

Act like a high-tech company! It's not 1980 anymore. You can be friendly AND fair. As the company grows, decide a path, communicate it clearly and then stick to it.

10. "Engineer/Manager"

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been at Cascade Microtech for a long time and I've had no shortage of interesting problems to work on. My job responsibilities have increased several times over the years and I've worked in a variety of engineering and management positions. In my role, I feel like I've had the opportunity to help make Cascade be the place where I want to work, which I think is a rare opportunity.

Cons

One area I've struggled with at Cascade is with the company not pushing decision making down to the lowest appropriate level. Another area for improvement is that Cascade's "nice" culture sometimes makes it hard to make difficult business decisions.

Advice to Management

Keep it up and continue to make investments in growth areas. Trust your team to do the right thing. Work on making hard decisions.

11. "Glad to Serve"

Current Employee - Lead Technician in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Lead Technician in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Cascade Microtech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people and good work atmosphere.
    Ethically and Professionally inclined company.
    Strong rules and regulations but not overbearing or unfair to the well being of the employees.
    Highly technical work.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement could be limited.

Advice to Management

Understand your employees and avoid losing good skilled, experienced and talented workers; they are hard to come by. The best assets of a company are its skilled employees.