Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Derald Walker

Pros
  • Hard workers, Great clients, Dedicated leadership, good opportunity for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• An okay foot in the door for mental health (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, wish the benefits were a bit better, really only got COLA raises, not for merit (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management is more concerned about image than the clients' well being (in 7 reviews)

1. "social worker"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the benefits were very good

Cons

In my case I had a pathological co-worker who sabotaged me

Advice to Management

Don't ever let one co-worker have exclusive power over another worker (especially a new one)

2. "Residential Dept: Good Kaiser benefits, plenty of shifts to pick up, good patients"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you love people, psychology and learning this is the place to be, when you need help Management actually listens to you, Tip: Make SURE you choose a Residential or Admin position, you get Healthcare/Dental/Vision/Free bus pass if you work downtown, PTO is generous, about 2 days a month paid vacation, Culture is great, Swing shift is pretty decent. Overtime pays extra and you can get plenty of it. Clients are good people and you really feel like you are helping make the world a better place here.

Cons

Lack of raises for good employees. Little to no potential to move up. You get the same exact raises as the crummy ones! You have to be LOUD and active to get management to make changes. They won't do it if you're too quiet but they actually will do it unlike some places...

Advice to Management

Give raises based on PERFORMANCE!

Why do you bother with an annual performance review if there's little opportunity to move up and ZERO opportunity to get a raise? It is so embarrassing to sit there in your performance review, being told you're a great employee without receiving a raise. Even a small one would be better than these random raises. Good employees don't like random. Lazy employees like random unearned raises. Which would you rather keep around??
    If you don't want to be just a place where people get training and leave, you have got to put your money where your mouth is and reward people who STAY and people who PERFORM well!

"Former counselor"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Newberg, OR

Pros

Caring co workers, supportive management, interesting work, rewarding, benefit package ok, paid mileage if using own car, good stepping stone in my career. Clients were great

Cons

Low pay, wish the benefits were a bit better, really only got COLA raises, not for merit. Not their fault it's community mental health so minimal funds.

4. "Training Manager"

Former Employee - Instructional Design Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Instructional Design Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Great, well-intentioned, management staff. Excellent cause pursued with the best intentions. My manager's boss knew what was going on and allowed me exposure to his level of the organization, so I got some recognition.

Cons

Had to make my manager look good without any hope that I might be promoted.

Advice to Management

Just because someone has subject matter expertise doesn't mean they'll be able to do a good job developing or administering training.

"unhealthy place to work"

Former Employee - LPC in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - LPC in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't have many pros about Cascadia. Sometimes through the really bad services they provide people might get help. I worked in two of their programs and it was doubtful what mental health was provided. One pro is that from time to time they hire really great people who have a lot of talent and compassion in them. Sadly those people get burned out or realize they are not going to be allowed to provide competent services and so they leave pretty quickly.

Cons

So many cons. As an employee offering mental health services, there is such a lack of oversight and real mental health happening. Employees are required to work long hours and have case loads that are honestly impossible to handle. When employees try to push back or get support they are often ridiculed or written up for their failures. Salary is also a joke. They messed with my salary so many times asking me each time to do more and offering me less. They actually told me that I had to work more hours and that I would not get any more pay whatsoever. Not even a 1% increase, either I could work the hours the offered with the salary I had, or I could leave. So I left.

Advice to Management

Actually show that you care about your employees. Stick up for them when you know too much is too much. Advocate for them. Also management needs to remember we are all a team. Mostly though they think they are higher up and act that way. Very superior and condescending.

"OK place to work, getting better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits package is in general excellent. It's particularly good for managers and above. They are very generous with their time off policy. Top down is very, very concerned about how their employees feel...which sometimes isn't that great. Direct compensation is going up.

Cons

The usual grind of day to day work puts some folks off, and they don't show up. This forces freezing onto other employees, who get tired and put off, and don't show up...
    Because they try really hard, sometimes management retains people that absolutely should go.

Advice to Management

Get rid of dead weight.

"Use Caution"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Still looks relatively good on resume. Moderate healthcare offered very cheaply, many other benefits. Some fun and decent coworkers and clients. An overall laudable mission. One group of workers just got a huge pay raise.

Cons

Favoritism, lack of affordable family coverage, high risk of burnout. Little acknowledgement about it or how to combat it with direct care staff. Passive aggressive communication, a severe disconnect between middle and upper management as well as their charges. Ever changing policies, many unspoken. So much turnover it makes one's job untenable. If you're a QMHP, your caseload will be barely manageable and most clients will have been through many before you. If you are residential, you will be asked to cover many shifts and will eventually get stuck without relief on one of yours.

Advice to Management

Use the insight you already have on the employee front. I filled out several employer provided surveys about how I felt about the company and the jist of the results seemed to be "if admin and management is happy, you must be too". Reward long term employees with something better than a take it or leave it mentality.

"Over worked and under payed"

Current Employee - Quality Mental Health Associate (QMHA) in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Quality Mental Health Associate (QMHA) in Portland, OR

Pros

Generous PTO, pretty good health benefits (Kaiser)

Cons

For not even $15 an hour there is...
    Lots of paperwork and suggested quotas for billing for your services (inconsistencies in what is and isn't appropriate to bill for)
    Monthly case conferences and monthly summaries for clients
    Constantly understaffed and overworked (getting frozen into the next shift is not uncommon for swing shifters)
    Threat of assault from clients that is not taken seriously by mgmt when concerns are brought up
    Expected to counsel, teach skills, bill for services, create monthly summaries, and at the same time do janitorial work and run clients on errands

Advice to Management

Pay better
    Ask employees their ideas BEFORE implementing new rules
    Pay better
    Be "trauma informed" with employees too
    Listen instead of getting defensive

"safety"

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Portland, OR

Pros

management pays lip service to the idea of employee safety. There are safety commities that can make recommendations however management does not have to do anything.

Cons

No real training on self defense if you take their training and try it if you are attacked you will get hurt. Treatment rooms are not safe no real emergency button, doors open in so you could be trapped, no plan for rescue.

Advice to Management

better get real about safety so far you have been lucky. Maybe a Union would help you take this seriously.

"Unprofessional, Toxic Work Environment"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Wood Village, OR
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor II in Wood Village, OR

Pros

An okay foot in the door for mental health. PTO was generous, but had to be taken as convenient to management. Extremely difficult to be fired, even intentionally sleeping during your shift comes with zero consequences.

Cons

When you're in the ECFs, you're not so much a clinician as you are a babysitter/billing machine. No self-respecting behavioral health provider would impose "quotas" and stretch the truth as far as Cascadia does to make money. They've faced several Medicare fraud suits due to dishonest and poor billing practices and nearly went under in 2008 for this very thing.
    Supervisors are poorly trained, if at all. The morale of the office was perpetually in the toilet and management just fed the beast by encouraging employees to tell on each other. There were no actual CLINICAL Supervisions to speak of; and despite the so-called open door policy of management, asking for a moment of a supervisors time was generally frowned upon.
    The office environment was clearly unprofessional and there were "clinicians" with zero mental health background and no qualifications working with adults with severe mental illness. A few were obviously just trying for a paycheck and it's too bad because there are others who are trying to start an actual career; but they're all lumped in together as far as responsibilities and skills (and pay) go.

Advice to Management

Hire better management
    Watch your billing practices
    Keep a better eye on credentials
    Stop hiring people without the proper background
    Improve HR by cross training
    Figure out something to do about the terrible morale that appears prevalent across several facilities and programs.