Cascino Vaughan Law Offices Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Allen D. Vaughan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Tremendous Opportunity for Recent Grads"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've never been surrounded by so many brilliant people. Even the staff are primarily graduates of top universities, which creates a powerful and creative atmosphere. If you show an eagerness to take on responsibility, top management is willing to give you high-level projects very early on. Working at this firm will give you opportunities that you can't get elsewhere without years of paralegal experience. Excellent resume builder for recent college graduates. Long hours and hard work, but satisfying at he end of the day.

Cons

Frequent strategy changes can make it feel like nothing is ever finalized. This is largely just part of litigation in general, but the firm could do with better planning.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on initial stages of planning to prevent trouble down the line. Build internal consensus before acting.

2. "Settlements"

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time

Pros

Easy job to get out of college, decent pay, co-workers were mostly friends, BBQs (occasional)

Cons

I once fell asleep while submitting a claim and woke up to find that I had somehow completed the form correctly--- work can be mindnumbingly boring

""Legal Assistant""

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my experience, I was hired right out of college with a pretty light resume. I was interested in attending law school and communicated this.

IF your goal is to get 1-2 years of experience in a firm before going to law school, IF you don't need any more than survival wages, and IF you're prepared to deal with days of boredom followed by moments of panic, you will learn some things here and prepare yourself for a career as a lawyer. You will also definitely learn some object lessons about human nature.

Cons

Full disclosure -- it has been years since I worked here, so there is a small chance some of these issues have been rectified. However...

I could have been making better money working almost anywhere. I was promised insurance after a few months of working and proving myself, and then got a runaround about financial difficulties. Eventually the money I was making, even living with 2 roomies, taking the bus every day, and not living any type of glamorous lifestyle, became untenable.

The system for tracking clients and settlements was beyond atrocious. Even well-intentioned people could easily make mistakes on the data entry piece, and when you throw in the number of checked-out, on their way out people who have worked here over the years, almost no data was reliable. Clients would call in on the phone, and be routed to my desk from time to time, and it was difficult to have 100% confidence in the information I was communicating.

Projects were somewhat capricious at times. I remember spending a couple of random days just cleaning out rooms with boxes of old files. An experienced assistant warned me one of these times that I was working too fast -- that I would finish by midday, have nothing else to do for the day, and look like I wasn't doing anything. If a partner saw this... I was led to believe that their whims could be awfully mercurial.

I give this place 2 stars only because I could see some value for someone who was sure they wanted to go to law school, but preferred to work a year before doing so. I couldn't recommend this place whatsoever for a person who did not have law school as their end game.

"Legal Assistant"

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time

Pros

Easy job for competent individual. Not too demanding. Hiring process such a breeze in comparison to other employers in the state or region. Cool location in Chicago.

Cons

Bosses sometimes unrealistic or too demanding. Location not so great if you don't like the neighborhood or your colleagues. High turnover and low commitment to the work by the employees.

Advice to Management

None. Keep doing what you're doing. Everything is going great for now in the business but perhaps over time it would be important to have some strategic vision for the future in terms of future litigation prospects.

"Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Pay, Benefits and friendly staff

Cons

No advancement in job opportunities

"Low paying law work"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, company buys food for employees, interesting law work, casual environment

Cons

Mundane at times, low pay

"Good Cause, Horrible People."

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Coworkers are all equally frustrated which leads to amazing coworker bonding.
    2. Summer time BBQs and beer are plenty
    3. Seriously, the coworkers. That's about the only good thing about this place.

Cons

How to even begin with the negative? For starters, you get absolutely no training. You are immediately put to work on an incredibly outdated computer system that is horrendously broken trying to fix the mistakes of several previous generations of workers all who were as frustrated and disappointed with this job as you will be after two weeks of working here. The partners frequently say that everything you do is for the client but it's easy to see through their lies and realize that these two only care about squeezing every penny they can from everywhere, beginning with your salary. The work soon becomes tedious and the lack of organization is unlike any I have seen in any other law firm. The constant turn over in workers due to the deadly combination of low pay and bad bosses results in entire files going missing, record keeping that is atrociously outdated, and a confused clientele as to why the person that they spoke with last week is no longer there forcing one to start fresh with getting them information. You will become frustrated here there is no question of that it is simply a question of when. The bosses also seem to think that the best way to motivate a work force with low morale isn't to raise the meager pay or offer bonuses but instead to make very thinly veiled threats about firings or a variety of other things. Going on about the bosses, Mr. Vaughan and Mr. Cascino seem to be caught in an ongoing and perpetual struggle and fight for dominance and superiority of the firm and workers will frequently be caught in the cross fire. Neither seems to trust the other and their huge egos clash so frequently that it's a surprise that the two have remained in business with each other for so long.

Advice to Management

Treat your workers like human beings. They really do care about helping the clients, but it's hard to help the clients when they make so little here they struggle to pay their bills every month.

"Do not sell yourself short"

Former Employee - Settlements Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Settlements Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Amazing coworkers.
    2) Good look at what working at a sub-par firm will be like (in other words, this is what will happen to you if you go to a crappy law school and do not get good grades).
    3) Free beer and food provided at random intervals.

Cons

Literally everything else:
    Insane and incompetent partners, passive aggressive office managers, and miserable coworkers as a result.
    The partners are the main issue. There is a lack of communication between them larger than the grand canyon. Both are pretty chauvinistic. They cannot manage the office for the life of them, random firings and hirings abound. Project management is also severely lacking, with work often having to be re-done over and over and over and over again. Training is also severely lacking and adds to the issue of work having to be re-done. Obviously this becomes tedious after a month or so. Most of the blame for whatever disaster is at hand is put on legal assistants by the partners. The stress of the office negatively effects all workers, leading to a depressing work environment, where few are motivated to complete tasks.

The typical cycle of a new worker is: enthusiasm, frustration, depression, apathy, and then either quitting and finding new employment or being fired for not doing work.

Believe me, no matter who you are, you deserve better than putting yourself through this cycle. Sure everyone needs money and jobs are hard in this economy, but you could probably find more enjoyment working at a restaurant and making large tips and getting free food/beer that way, than working here.

Advice to Management

I truly believe this office is a lost cause.

"the writing on the wall"

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

your coworkers will be the saving grace here, as many (if not all) are disillusioned with the place but good, honest and funny people. the experience you'll get here working with the law is definitely a lot, but as other reviewers ask: at what cost?

Cons

there are literally no promotions nor raises to speak of. i respectfully asked for a raise after i started doing more and more litigation work but to no avail. the management is CLEARLY divided, with one hand not knowing what the other is doing and you'll constantly be a pawn in the partners' ongoing war for "dominance" of the firm. cost-cutting measures will be your nemesis, as they make it even harder to earn a livable wage here

Advice to Management

pay your employees better wages. many of us are devoted to you and your cause but the message sent with literally the lowest wages of all chicagoland law firms is that people are disposable. thinly veiled threats about firing or laying people off DO NOT motivate your employees.

10. "Positive learning experience, hard work, low pay, opportunities to socialize"

I worked at Cascino Vaughan Law Offices full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most employees are young, smart, hardworking and underpaid. The partners are demanding but also provide opportunities for employees to learn and gain really valuable experience in a legal environment.

Cons

Employees are often required to work much harder than their equivalent pay.