Casella Waste Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 1, 2017

Current Employees

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Casella Waste Systems Chairman and CEO; Chairman, Casella Waste Management John W. Casella
John W. Casella

1. "operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearfield, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearfield, PA

I have been working at Casella Waste Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

winter work spring is in the air

Cons

need to work to my ability doing construction work

2. "Show up and smile"

Current Employee - Driver in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Driver in Bangor, ME

Pros

Consistent paychecks, just show up and they will love you.

Cons

High turnover for laborers and many absences, poor management-not knowing how nor having the ability to drive Class A or B, scheduling changes often, below industry wages

Advice to Management

Figure out how to staff, hire management with licenses to back up absences and know about jobs, learn routes, plan, learn efficiency, split routes evenly, pay base on productivity not on hours- you are rewarding people for subpar efforts.

3. "Stay Away!"

Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Stanley, NY
    Current Employee - Heavy Equipment Operator in Stanley, NY

I have been working at Casella Waste Systems full-time

Pros

There are absolutely NO Pro's to working for this company! Never seen a place with such a high turn-over rate and poor management (Senior Regional managers all the way down)!

Cons

They don't care about worker safety, hazards, or laws. They ignore pollution and turn their heads or hide it. Management is absolutely horrid, heartless, and callous. Managers do not set good role models. VERY low moral.

Wish I could rate them with ZERO stars, but have to give at least 1 star before the system will allow me to continue.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your management from the senior regional managers all the way down to site operations managers and start over! They are ruining your company! Can't be trusted...

5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Rutland, VT
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Rutland, VT

Pros

The people that work here are some of the best I've met in my professional career. Management has the best intentions for the company, the employees, and the community. There is a lot of opportunity to learn, understand and constantly improve at Casella. It is an amazing place to work!

Cons

I have no cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring your employees to work on getting better at what they do while embracing challenges and change.

6. "If you have other options take it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southbridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southbridge, MA

I have been working at Casella Waste Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. The commute is close.

Cons

Everything else. They don't value their employees at all. They feel they can replace anyone at anytime and definitely will... WITHOUT NOTICE!!! I've seen MANY past employees get blindsided for no real reason and either lose their job or keep them and make their days miserable.

Advice to Management

Start to value their employees.

7. "Poor Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rutland, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rutland, VT

Pros

Decent benefits available. Some managers do care about the entry level employee and their input. CFO and CAO are the only reason that company functions as well as it's managed.

Cons

People are put into leadership roles that do not belong there. I've seen multiple people in Supervisor positions that play favorites and are a cause of work place drama. This is witnessed in multiple departments around Home Office.

Advice to Management

Please make sure the people you promote into Supervisor positions are qualified and have the skills needed for their roles.

8. "Great company to wok for..."

Current Employee - Director in Rutland, VT
    Current Employee - Director in Rutland, VT

Pros

Casella is on a path to succeed. We've made great progress in defining the company strategy over the past two years and have a solid pathway to the future.

Cons

As a public company Casella is fairly risk averse.

9. "Completely Dysfunctional"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Rutland, VT
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Rutland, VT

Pros

You will get a paycheck and the benefits are average. There are a handful of good, honest, hard working people there.

Cons

The company is totally mismanaged and is operated in a manner that is irresponsible to the shareholders. Annual salary adjustments and performance reviews are basically non existent. The company is always looking for the next big thing that is going to make them successful and it always ends up being a failure. Promotions are based on who you know not what you know. On top of all this, the company's safety program is a joke, it looks good on paper that's about it.

Advice to Management

Step down and allow someone who knows what they are doing run the show. You guys are not as smart as you think!

10. "Second class citizen. Nobody does work. No mutual respect for coworkers."

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Casella Waste Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is very simple. A trained ape could do this job. Boss buys lunch on Fridays. Not much else to note

Cons

Nobody comes to work. Ever. "Working from home" is frequent, but none of these people can ever be reached. No one respects my coworker and I because we are younger. Making the bare minimum and doing someone else's job who is salaried with benefits for no reason. Wasteful if you ask me.

Advice to Management

Know your employees and their jobs better. Know when your employees are working or "working from home". Respect employees enough to pay them fair wages.

"Educating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Casella Waste Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with some great people

Cons

No career advancement opportunities available