Casenet Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Peter Masanotti

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Product and Vision. Mediocre Management"

I have been working at Casenet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to be in the market
    Flexible hours
    Change in upper level technical management (also a con)

Cons

1. Recruiting and hiring is a nightmare. COO level approval to fill positions? Yet the CEO complains we aren't hiring enough.
    2. The company claims promoting within is the best option, yet promotions within are rare and are mostly political when they happen.
    3. Upper management is loaded with politics. There is little flexibility in accepting people and skill levels. There is little talent but big egos at that level.
    4. Software architecture and willingness to address tech debt are mediocre at best and is overall disappointing. The software is sold on promises of features which leads us to quantity over quality. Quantity is priority just to sell a contract.
    5. The transition from Casenet to Centene has been disappointing overall. It's clear Centene is interested in the bottom line and not their employees. The benefits are mediocre from health insurance, 401k match, stock options and time off. Yet our CEO boasts our stature in the fortune 500.
    6. Relations between us and our parent company are icy. We should be partners rather than being bullied. Our management feeds this behavior.
    7. The bonus system is based on stocks. This sounds great until you see them plummet due to dishonesty from the parent company. (I can't insert a link here supporting my claim by Glassdoor TOS) It also sounds great when you are made to believe the software you develop is the only solid contributor to the price. It's really not true if you look at the empire Centene has and everything else that factors into to the price.

Advice to Management

Look at your senior management and evaluate if they are the right people for the job. There has been a lot of change over, and it isn't all for the best. The stubbornness and arrogance from certain members of the leadership team has been a huge turnoff and will hurt the company in the long run if it continues.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Casenet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Have been working here for 3+ years, the company has gone through a positive transformation in the past couple years.
    - There has been a good change in the management style. It is noticeably visible that the management is listening to employees and working on any issues/concerns pointed out by them.
    - Challenging work and opportunity to grow with the company. Lot of smart people willing to help.
    - Flexibility in terms of work and also hours of working.

Cons

- Once in a while working long hours but its always appreciated.
    - People to work ratio can be made better.

Advice to Management

- Training employees get better with estimations, agile methodologies, and finally help them grow professionally and personally.
    - Distribution of knowledge can be made better.

3. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Casenet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interactive, challenging, good product development teams with a friendly environment.

Cons

Tight deadlines with more on the job training.

Advice to Management

Hire more engineers aggressively.

"The Good, the Bad, and Knowing the Difference Betweeen the Two"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Casenet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for enough companies including Partners, Harvard Pilgrim HealthCare, Hewlett-Packard, and Dell Healthcare Professional Services to know a good company from the rest. And as a PM consultant, I've also been exposed to a great many more corporate cultures.

While every company has its foibles; Casenet has way more pros for motivated, skilled employees than the typical company. The number one benefit is a commitment to giving employees the opportunity to be heard. While not every idea can or should be pursued; senior management knows that many of the best ideas come from employees at all levels of the organization.

This is the first company that I've worked at where I started with 3 weeks vacation; am treated to free lunch on Wednesdays, Chair Yoga 1-2 times a month, 2 company outings a year -- one is even a family event.

Beyond these benefit perks; my full engagement to fulfilling my job responsibilities and efforts to expand my skillset/experiences are met with support and feedback where my initial ideas might be rough around the edges.

Bottom-line: Employees get what they give. If you have the requisite skill to do the job; and are willing to work within the management structure; the opportunities are boundless for growth and ultimately shaping Casenet's long term trajectory.

Cons

The Casenet culture and management structure may not be the optimal fit for all candidates. For instance, within my group it is imperative to work closely within the prescribed methodology to ensure that our customers' experiences are consistently high quality. This entails a fair amount of management oversight and close team collaboration; most especially during the initial onboarding phase and through the initial lifecycle of a project or release.

This patience on the front end; provides a strong foundation for understanding the various complexities and reasons why current processes are in place. Ideas generated with this base understanding; framed in terms of potential solutions (not just complaints) are sought out -- and usually given consideration.

Advice to Management

There is always room for improvement. The move to start conducting 360 reviews is a great one. Some areas that need further consideration are: 1) Work - Life Balance can still be a problem at times; getting staffing levels up to better accommodate coverage needs would really help, 2) More flexibility with WFH schedule may still be needed -- especially as an incentive for truly high performers, 3) Recent restrictions on what can be posted in cubes in our new space are too confining. Employee commitment is bolstered by having a little more freedom in this regard.

"Depends on who you report to"

I have been working at Casenet full-time

Pros

very different dynamics based on who you report to

Cons

no work/life balance. Expectation that employee will work evenings and weekends.

"It's a job"

I have been working at Casenet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch Wednesday and free coffee.

Cons

This is an odd place to work. It's owned by a seldom seen big healthcare company, but the benefits are below average and co-pays are high. They also want to health screen everyone every year or you pay even more.
    There is very little management communication. I have never had a performance or goal discussion with my boss.
    The key here seems to be that they are still relatively small and can get by with little planning or process, but as they grow this is going to get harder.
    I think most everyone is well intentioned, but it's not a great environment to work in as an engineer. As someone else said, there are some big egos here and they are very level conscious.

Advice to Management

More planning, more communication, more feedback, focus less on the technology crisis of the day and more about managing. Build trust with your employees and prepare for the future.

"SQA Engineer"

Pros

Management are fantastic. Excellent software.

Cons

Very long drive onRoute 3 in morning i.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work your on a good path to always improving the company. Excellent CEO.

8. "Quality Assurance Engineer Co-op"

Pros

get actively involved in the group.
    people there are happy to help each other.
    happy hour every Friday afternoon and free lunch every Wednesday.

Cons

their automation tool Ranorex seems not to be used in a lot of companies.
    salary is a little less than the average.

"Casenet is a fantastic Company to work for!!"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at Casenet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Management are fantastic. Every Manager I have worked with here are Smart, Professional and have excellent Management skills. Management is very personable. I love working at Casenet. The Trucare Application is well Structured and easy to work with. The Company is well organized and the people I work with are fantastic. They all work as a team and always willing to help when they can. CEO is fantastic, Smart, personable and he tries to keep everyone informed of any changes in the company and future growth. I have been working here for 5 months and love the company and what they stand for.

Cons

Three week sprints have a lot of work within the sprints and time constraints. It would be beneficial for the company to work in longer sprints due to time constraints. Other than that Fantastic Company to work for and grow with.

Advice to Management

Your doing a fantastic job, keep working towards one process for the whole company to keep the company running smoothly. Excellent Management is what keeps the employees happy in their day to day work. Management and CEO get a 5 star.

"Getting better every day"

I have been working at Casenet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Yes, in the past management was a problem. That is no longer the case. Management does care now and they're doing a lot to make things better. They acknowledge that work-life balance was a real problem and are taking steps to fix that. And they reward employees well, especially when that balance goes off.
    Many of the difficult people have left. You can feel the difference.
    Almost everyone at the company is very friendly. (Have you ever worked anywhere without a single bad apple?) Sometimes, it actually feels like working with your friends.
    We have a suggestion box and they read and act on every suggestion, bringing updates to company-wide meetings.
    They keep hiring to make sure there are enough people to do what needs to be done.
    Management folks (from Managers all the way up) are open and friendly and generally very fair.

Cons

We could use more training opportunities.
    There is also the issue of the "Agile...but" methodology. There ARE growing pains and some company-wide Agile training would help that. Different people do things different ways and that can't work long-term.
    Unproductive or uncooperative employees are maintained too long.
    Some areas are understaffed. (Maybe the current hiring push will solve that problem.)

Advice to Management

You're on the right path. Keep going! Don't lose sight.