Casey's General Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Terry Handley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are very serious about good customer service (in 11 reviews)

• They offer benifits for both part time and full time (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management does not recongnize individual achievements, moving into store management is difficult (in 16 reviews)

• Casey's was completely unwilling to give full-time hours when I started working there (in 14 reviews)

1. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Council Bluffs, IA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Council Bluffs, IA

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very positive small town feel to the job. Everyone is always welcoming and so helpful! I absolutely love it here.

Cons

Salaried store managers are required to work at least 45 hours a week. Usually ends up being more like 50-55.

2. "Food Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Food Service Specialist in Fulton, MO
    Former Employee - Food Service Specialist in Fulton, MO

I worked at Casey's General Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They take the time to really get to know you. The managers are all very friendly and approachable. They hired me as I was still in college and had very flexible hours without it being too over whelming for my busy schedule with school. The starting pay was great and with the more time that you work there the more you got in bonuses which was nice for a broke college student like myself at that time!

Cons

They expected you to come in no matter the circumstances (sick, death in family, weather, etc.) No matter what you came to work whether you walked or you looked like death. They did not allow for adequate time for training on all aspects of the job. You trained with someone for roughly 2 days and then you were on your own.

Advice to Management

Take the time to teach the new employees, maybe have a specific trainer do most of the training and still have someone else there doing the main work to give the new employees all the time that they need, so less mistakes wouldn't happen.

3. "Driver"

Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Warrensburg, MO
    Current Employee - Pizza Delivery Driver in Warrensburg, MO

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay good hours nice people good food

Cons

No breaks no origination

Advice to Management

Many options for enhancement to management

"They do not seem to value their assistant manager's very much. High turnover rate because of poor compensation."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Branson, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Branson, MO

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my team. They are the heart of the store, the customer service and cleanliness retains the best customers!

Cons

Poor compensation for assistants, only a .50¢ increase per promotion, inability to give merit raises or decent yearly raises based on employee performance and ability. High turnover rate, General manager's are so overworked proper and thorough training is often not received which leads to a poor experience for the worker and customer

Advice to Management

Invest a little more in your Assistant Manager's, who often times RUN your stores for extended periods and eventually become GM hopefully, who also run other stores at times as well. Maybe implement into the new system, a program, giving assistant's who have been WITH the company and worked hard the ability to review applications, hiring, payroll, scheduling, LIKE WE USED TO BE ABLE TO DO. As an assistant I feel it's my job to give the GM some relief AND ensure the employees have what they need to comfortably do their jobs, therefore providing a great experience for the customer.

5. "Chef"

Current Employee - Chef in Lancaster, MO
    Current Employee - Chef in Lancaster, MO

I have been working at Casey's General Stores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Nothing I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

6. "Corporate Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casey's has been an infinitely beneficial experience from the very start. I was first drawn to the company based on its community focus and tradition of excellence within the industry. However, it was the people I met and engaged with during the interview process and introductory stages that made me realize that Casey's is truly unique. I was sold from my very first phone interview. It is immediately apparent to anyone who works here that this seemingly large corporation is comprised of caring, collaborative, and hard-working individuals. There is an underlying network of support as Casey's employees- in each department- maintain an unparalleled level of professionalism and affability.

There are never-ending opportunities within the company to advance, develop and excel. During the orientation phase, everyone is ready and willing to help out in any way that they can. Casey's also takes excellent care of its employees as well (great benefits, salary, etc.). This is a company that truly cares about its employees and wants to see each person succeed. Every department interconnects with another, spotlighting the importance of individual contributions. Employees, regardless of title, go out of their way to intermingle and learn about each other.

Whether it is remembering a birthday or a milestone, or a simple smile and a genuine "How are you?" in the halls, it has been so rewarding to serve among such talented and considerate individuals.

Cons

Vacation days are somewhat limited at the start, but that is to be expected.

7. "Security Interventionist"

Current Employee - Security Interventionist in Ankeny, IA
    Current Employee - Security Interventionist in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay.
    Military friendly.
    Mon-Fri 7-3 security job.
    Great leadership.
    On-site daycare for employees.
    Many benefits available.

Cons

If you're not used to being in security, staying busy might be a con. On the hour/half hour you will be busy, but in between you will see very few individuals at the front desk.

8. "Corporate Manager"

Current Employee - Corporate Manager in Ankeny, IA
    Current Employee - Corporate Manager in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The company allows you to feel a sense of worth. You get opportunities to truly make the company a better place.
    -Employee's are extremely kind and treat you with respect.
    - Manager's and executive's are very easy to reach and get a hold of.
    - Onsite daycare and cafeteria are an extreme plus!!!
    - Overall an awesome place to work, truly am proud to be employed here!

Cons

-The benefits could use some work as far as vacation/sick time not being implemented until after six months. It is also tough not getting to participate in a 401k until after one year.
    -No onsite gym or reduced rates at a local gym.
    -No leave time for new father's, have to use vacation time.
    - Could use some more company get together's or find ways to meet people from other departments. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of crossover internally.

Advice to Management

-Updating the benefit package would be a great way to recruit/retain employees.
    -More company wide communication and getting to meet other people in other departments.
    -Keep challenging your employees and allowing them to succeed in their role.

9. "Employees are treated well but there is little path to advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ankeny, IA

I have been working at Casey's General Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many great people who work for Casey's who obviously love their jobs and their passion for their job is encouraging. Pay and benefits are also good.

Cons

The only path to career advancement is by being promoted to a manager/supervisor and people in those positions tend to stay in those positions for decades which means that opportunities to advance rarely show up and the successor is usually chosen before the job is posted.

Advice to Management

Create more intermediate job titles (Sr. Jr. Level 1,2,3, etc) and have a clear path defined to be promoted rather than have your career advancement be dictated by someone else's retirement plans.

10. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Marseilles, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Marseilles, IL

I worked at Casey's General Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

was able to help customers had real good medical. and vacation time

Cons

when threw alot of help,to many people talking behind peoples backs