Cash America Reviews | Glassdoor

Cash America President, CEO, and Director Dan Feehan
Dan Feehan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Paperwork was falsified by upper management (District Manager) to try to fire me (in 33 reviews)

• Work/ Life balance is non existent (in 15 reviews)

1. "Loan Processor"

I worked at Cash America full-time

Pros

my co workers, It was dead, no busy traffic, closed on most bank holidays, travel fee pay for mileage, free lunches on company meetings that's it.

Cons

Profit Sharing, The Hours, The crazies that come in, The employee pay, They didn't have bullet proof glass, Don't have a high end machinery to detect fraudulent checks or money. I literally had to drive to the boonies of Lancaster (where new hires go and have their 1st mandatory meeting) and was told verbally over a meeting this is what fake money looks like touch it familiarize yourself with it. This meeting was hours long training in the money portion itself was like 15 mins. Hassle from management if high number of people default on their loans, (As If we can control that!) Marketing, where you drive your own vehicle and advertise for your company and say hey check us out where a loan place hit us up if you need us, left them business cards, would take their business cards as proof to show that i was there. Horrible place never want to go back. I was polite to give a 2 weeks notice.

Advice to Management

Invest in Advertising!!! Why should your employees advertise for you?! You sure as hell don't pay enough, pay more, Oh invest in fraud machines to detect fake 100 bills and invest in Bullet Proof Glass, And make circle holes on the glass so the customers can hear us speak. I was shouting half the time cause the old people couldn't hear me! For the record I have a loud voice!

2. "If you don't want to have your own opinions ideas or make you own decisions it's a ""

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Cash America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits discounts on items

Cons

No work life balance, you are treated like you do not matter and can easily be replaced. You can not go above your supervisor because you will get a failing inspection and you can not fight the score. No matter how good you P&L shows you doing if you do not suck up to your supervisor you are gone. If you dont want to have your own opinions, ideas or be able to make you own decisions it's a "great" place to work. I am on this website looking for another job

Advice to Management

The higher ups need to ask the shop managers about their reviews, opinions and ideas and not just take what is give to them as fact. Shop manager need to be empowered to make changes in their owns stores.

3. "Cashamerica"

I worked at Cash America full-time

Pros

Love the pawn bussiness and fast paced enviroment.

Cons

My experience with Cashamerica was that they really did not care at all for there employees or even there customers.
    I felt they did not have very good morals as far as upper managment goes.My own Market manager said several times that they
    did not care if the employees were happy, and said that we were all easily replaceable. So as someone who was very experienced
    with the company, I felt no matter how hard I worked I was never appreciated.The only people in the company that really seemed to
    get recognition by the market managers, and higher ups were the people who tryed to be buddy buddy and suck up. Rather than just working hard,
    and trying to do things right. This company does not promote from within very often at all. Literally you might have to wait ten years to move up.
    They bring people from outside retail stores to manage. They train them for only a short period of time. Most of them end up relying on there
    assistants to run the shops, becuase they either didnt learn enough or they didnt care to continue doing the things they were taught to do
    because they have assistants to do it all for them. The assistants are usually way to stressed out due to this. Its like all the managers that
    have been brought in think they are just there to be a face and that is all they have to do, or they act like CSR'S and just claen the sales floor.
    All the while there assistants are doing everything.
    If you are ever being harrassed by your manager dont use the HR department they will do nothing to help you, they will do everything in there power
    to attack you and make it your fault, and you will still have to continue being harrassed after they improperly investigate.
     This company compromised my morals by not taking care of the customers belongings,not the employees but the actual higher ups.
    They also did not show concern for there employees healths and the enviroment that the employees were made to work in, nor did they care what
    type of enviroment the customer belongings were being stored in as well. When I finally left the company I was treated very
    rudly by the HR department just becuase,I called for my documents.I had to call them several times over several weeks,and they still
    never sent me my documents. This prevented me from getting health insurance for three months. I actually could go on, just know you will be better
    off never working for Cashamerica!!!!

Advice to Management

Your greatest assets are your loyal long time hardworking employees. You should value them instead of threatening them and treating them like
    they are replaceable.
    They are the ones that build repore with customers and keep them coming back.They are also the ones who have
    to handle customer issues all day long.They take alote of abuse for your company.Promoting from within would help build moral.Recognizing those
    who work hard and care about the company would be a good thing. Rather than only recognizing the ones that can talk a good line.
    Managers that are brought in from the outside should be made to run the stores instead of pushing everything off on there assistants
    while they play and handle there personel lives. Caring about the health enviroments that you have your employees working in and your customer
    belongings in should always be number one.Employee issues should be confidential. When an old employees requests documents
    they shouldnt be treated badly for requesting them just becuase they no longer work there. The HR department could definatly use some
    training in how to handle harrassment situations, and investigate properly. Market managers could benifit from stress managment and
    training on proffesionalism.

4. "Stepping stone job at best"

Pros

Product knowledge in a huge gain

Cons

Low pay
    Odd hours
    Poor leadership
    Awful Communication

Advice to Management

Destroy and Rebuild

"horrible company"

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot say anything positive about this company.

Cons

Poor work-life balance; stores are basically run like sweatshops. District and regional management are horrible, at best. Paperwork was falsified by upper management (District Manager) to try to fire me. When I called HR, they were extremely unhelpful. The working environment is uncomfortable. Employees hate their jobs. Upper management is corrupt. I'd stay away. Unless you're an old school pawn broker, you will not fit their mold and will most likely be fired.

Advice to Management

Corruption needs to stop. Company needs honest individuals, not the awful excuses that you have working there!

"Sad Times At Cash America/ First Cash"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a Job. Decent medical coverage.

Cons

Just left after over 10 years of service. Why? Work/ Life balance is non existent. Managers work minimum 50+ hrs and Weekends are mandatory. Bonuses have disappeared, Looks for Salaries to be "restructured" this year (ie, store personnel are getting the shaft). The company used to care about it's employees and used to be a fun place to work. All that disappeared when the company went public and now it's soulless. Run away from this place!

Advice to Management

Care. Treat the people who actually make the money (your store personnel) right. Stop giving them the shaft. You're going to have a mass exodus from your stores in the near future if you don't.

7. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Cash America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were willing to give me whatever hours I wanted

Cons

They demanded way too much and also had to work In serious hear in the garage part and all you smelled was gasoline that gave you major headaches.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing your employees to do so much!

"Horrible company with good frontline people"

Former Employee - Shop Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shop Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

The best thing about working at Cash America was the frontline employees. Meaning the employees who dealt day to day with customers. The frontline doing the best they can to help customers and even go beyond the call of duty.

Cons

They claim work life balance but how is their balance when your a Manager working 70hrs a week. The pay is not that great for frontline Managers (District Managers are not frontline) and pawnbrokers. Bonuses are non existent for managers and not great for pawnbrokers. As a Manager you will work 12 hrs days while eating on the go. Sun up to sun down is not balance. All managers are not held accountable the same way. Favortism based on tenure and likability with the company.

Advice to Management

Just remember the people you hire make a difference. Know the difference between good people who work hard and the butt kissers who know how to get by! This rating is not because I am a former employee, ask many of the current employees and they will feel the same.

9. "Pawnbroker"

Former Employee - Pawnbroker in Acworth, GA
    Former Employee - Pawnbroker in Acworth, GA

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to round out your learning because of the exposure to so many different things and people.

Cons

No true leadership within the company. Ran alot like a mom and pop instead of like a professional work environment. The culture needs work.

Advice to Management

Develop some leaders and get rid of the managers

"The company is unfortunately having a major identity crisis and it is taking it out on its employees."

Current Employee - Shop Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Shop Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent discounts and you get to feel like you are helping some pretty good people that are down on their luck.

Cons

Non stop micromanagement. Upper management is 100% reactivate and 0% proactive and the failures are always the fault of the DM's on down to the pawn brokers. Upper management keeps finding ways to let their employees know that they don't care about them whatsoever. For example they had stores put up "see something say something" and "free handcuffs with every theft" at all stores. Also things like requiring new employees to purchase new work shirts with their own money even though it is illegal for them to do that in a lot of states including Washington. Upper management loves to burn out their employees by doing things like telling store managers that they are not allowed to get two days off in a row and they need to schedule their employees the same way. Lastly their is no such thing as a raise for anyone at the store level. Their answer to asking for a raise is "sell more stuff and give yourself a raise".

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Seriously, if you did then you probably wouldn't have such atrocious turnover and high employee theft.