Cash America Reviews | Glassdoor

Cash America President, CEO, and Director Dan Feehan
Dan Feehan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Paperwork was falsified by upper management (District Manager) to try to fire me (in 34 reviews)

• Work/ Life balance is non existent (in 16 reviews)

"Would be 4 stars prior to first cash takeover"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pros really don’t exist anymore. There used to be lots of pros. We were sold this false narrative that a merger of equals with first cash was going to happen. Merger of equals??? No!! More like hostile takeover! I’m sure it was great and lined the pockets for the shareholders, the two CEO’s and various VP’s. For the people that work in the trenches and actually make the money it’s complete and total garbage. Once a fun and meaningful job that I truly loved is no more.

Cons

They took away most of our paid holidays. They took away weeks of paid vacation, went from 5 sick days a year to 2. All salaried employees lost a week of pay in the month of September because they decided they wanted to withhold a week of pay. How do you plan for 25% of your monthly income disappearing. I couldn’t have planned for that with a years notice much less a couple of months. The changes they implemented ran off 15% of our customer base. Bonuses are based on prior year which makes it impossible to hit with 15% less income. So now I’m working more hours because of the changes and making less money. I will be stunned if we don’t have a mass exodus of employees in the near future.

Advice to Management

Any advice would be futile. They have made it perfectly clear if you don’t like the changes you can go find a new job. That being said.... I would advise the impossible first. Un-merge the two companies.(obviously not gonna happen). Secondly I would just say you have to treat your employees better if you want to keep and get good help.

2. "Lead CSR"

I worked at Cash America full-time

Pros

Corporate standards incorporated and training.

Cons

Too many limitations on how you can help customers

"Communication"

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good prices on merchandise.

Cons

No communication from Regional Managers down to Shop Managers. Huge changes are done on really short notice. "Merged" with first Cash and haven't kept any business practices that worked. They like to add more to your job title than you're paid. Get paid more in similar industries for less work. Only managers get raises because pawnbrokers are on commission. Took away most paid holidays. Layaway policy will rob customers of their money for being one day late for a payment. High turnover and very limited upward mobility. Usually hire from the outside instead of promiting from within. Very inconsistent in regards to how they want floor setups. Will ask for one way, once completed they will request to put it back to how it was. Cutting too many corners to make more money. Will tell you to do landscaping and shop maintenance for free if the contracted company/worker can't do it. Will ask you to do A,B, and C but chastise you for not getting task D done while doing everything else they ask for last minute. Can't grasp certain tasks because as soon as you get a routine they no longer want it done or have completely scrapped the practice.

Advice to Management

More communication and consistency. No clear direction on what this company wants or the direction they want to head in.

"Lead CSR"

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative

I worked at Cash America (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits for the average employee

Cons

Regional manager was awful to work under. All about bottom line and nothing else

Advice to Management

Focus more on retaining good talent!

"pawnbroker"

I have been working at Cash America full-time

Pros

A lot of insight on various products. A lot of customer interaction daily.

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work and responsibilities given. Many obligations that require you to go above and beyond to little to no job advancement.

Advice to Management

Be able to come up with productive shop goals and marketing plans to allow employees to excel in sales aspect of job responsibilities

"Supervisor"

I worked at Cash America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are gone! I know nothing positive about the company that purchased Cash America.

Cons

What made Cash America a great place to work, opportunity, great coworkers and management, the family culture and values are all gone. They were purchased (they called it a merger) by another pawn chain and it's no longer the great company it once was. Most Cash America employees are now gone due to reduction in staff. None of the purchasing company employees have been let go. It's sad to see such a great company go downhill so fast. It seems they bit off more than they could chew.

Advice to Management

Show some compassion and loyalty to the employees that helped to build CA to what it was when it was purchased. You have no heart. It's all about the money.

"Different Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Cash America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, many opportunities for overtime, interesting work, customer service skills grow greatly, you learn what not to do with your life, and overall not the worst gig to have

Cons

Advancement is through favoritism, if you're a pretty and young woman then you will make it far, pay and commissions are nothing, sometimes managers would set up huge sales and hand it to their favorite CSR so they get the commission, women at my store only worked 8am-4pm while guys such as myself would work 9am-8pm, won't make you full-time to save the company money, some workers would never have to touch a counter but sit in the office with managers, the commissions honestly made the work more hostile than anything, workers who work for sales get upset over those who would have them handed to them, workers and managers weren't sales people just glorified discounters, and it just felt like a sweatshop for the actual workers.

Advice to Management

Don't play favoritism with worker wages, what that causes is a tear in the coworker environment.

8. "Pawn broker"

I worked at Cash America full-time

Pros

The hours are great. Some location are closed on Sunday.

Cons

No structure or organization. A lot of guess work.

"From ok to just plain bad"

Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Shop Manager

I have been working at Cash America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, multiple locations to choose from.

Cons

Low pay, small to no raises, terrible benefits, only 3 holidays/ year, horrible communication from top down, no real training provided, employees have NO voice, no OT, full time workers wont get two days off ina row, I could seriously keep going for quite a while.

Advice to Management

Try considering the employees and their families once in a while.

"Meh.."

I worked at Cash America full-time

Pros

Get to meet a a lot of interesting characters, some good, some bad. Ability to buy great items at very nice prices. Good discounts

Cons

Way too much work to be done between running the front counter and getting everything done in the back. Often times keeping people long after closing just to finish what couldn't get done during the day. And if we don't stay to finish it, you'll hear long and hard about it if upper management walks in. No exceptions

Advice to Management

Hire more employees. Yes sure you can technically run the store with the number you allow but we're not your regular retail store.