Cashstar Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Ben Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best company in Portland, Maine to work for"

Current Employee - Engineering in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Engineering in Portland, ME

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great people
    -Great culture
    -Tons of opportunity to take on new challenges
    -Modern agile style
    -Small super nimble teams
    -Performance and scale like no one around

Cons

-Will need more space soon as hiring continues (good problem to have)

Advice to Management

-Continue to be transparent

2. "Great, Fair Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Cashstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Competitive salary, with merit-based raises 'out of the blue'
    -Wonderful colleagues
    -Access to senior leadership
    -Work-life balance, flexibility
    -Beautiful office

Cons

-Not easy to unplug after hours
    -Not a lot of room for professional development on certain teams

Advice to Management

-Keep on keeping on!
    -Provide opportunities for personal professional growth in areas other than engineering

3. "Seasonal Risk Analyst position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

Pros

- Well stocked kitchen for snacks and drinks
    - Open office space overlooking downtown Portland
    - Ability to make decisions without being micromanaged
    - Co-workers are friendly and upbeat
    - Investigating orders
    - In-depth training for the seasonal staff

Cons

- Having to lie to people all day
    - No real phone script to speak of
    - Supervisors didn't want to take escalated phone calls

"Friendliest place to work"

Current Employee - Maine in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Maine in Portland, ME

I have been working at Cashstar part-time

Pros

Manager sets the tone - a warm, friendly, open workplace. The physical location is gorgeous. The work can be challenging, but at least you're not bored. Workers are treated like adults, and there are really interesting people who work there. Overall feeling of kindness and good humor pervades the culture.

Cons

Usual workplace irritants, and stresses of doing customer service, but I have worked in enough call centers to know CashStar is heaven.

Advice to Management

Reward folks occasionally - its a great workplace, but its still a stressful job, especially during the busy season, and occasional incentatives would help perk up the staff.

"A Wonderful Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, ME

I have been working at Cashstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cashstar employees get to work in a spacious, modern environment in a phenomenal location with lots of natural light and great views alongside some of the best people you're likely to meet. It's the kind of work experience that will inform your perspective and decision making for years to come.

The management team has worked very hard to make sure that people have what they need to be at their best. The office is full and active without being cramped, loud or distracting. You have freedom to work the way you need to work to get things done, with a dedicated desk, standing workspaces, several nooks, conference rooms and working from home as options. All of these choices let you adapt to the nature of the work at hand to do what makes sense to you. When it's break time, there's a fully stocked kitchen staffed by a wonderful lady who is very friendly, a game room and, of course, you're right in the Old Port, so you can always take a nice scenic walk, run, bike ride, etc.

The Engineering and Solution Delivery team is made up of some truly great people with a variety of skills and talents. The leadership team does a great job of allowing you to put the pedal as far to the floor as you can handle and of letting people play to their strengths and explore different roles while still getting the job done. If you see a way that you can add value to the organization or have a positive impact on your coworkers' lives, Cashstar will generally step back and let you do your thing. The leadership is very patient and will let you learn, adapt and figure out where you'd like to be and what you can offer as time goes on.

It's really difficult to call out specific teams here because every single one is just killing it! Devops? Rock solid. Data? Amazing skills. Security? Absolutely crushing it. Frontend, backend, TAMs, PMs, managers - everybody in the organization is there to kick butt and take names, period. It's actually pretty awesome to be a part of a team that is so committed. If you take a minute to look around, everywhere you look, you'll see people who are just really into what they're doing and that's amazing.

Cashstar is also very diverse and culturally sensitive. They do things like parties and so on but are not going to force you to do anything that might freak you out. If you're an introvert, they'll generally respect that. People here have all kinds of talents outside of work and love to share - everything from sailing to brewing beer to karate! You name it, someone here probably does it and would love to chat.

We have a great culture of knowledge sharing and you won't have any choice but to get better at what you do. You'll get your learn on via Lunch 'n' Learns, PRs, our shared ebook library, conferences, Meetups (a couple of which Cashstar sponsors) and, if you're observant, your coworkers. If you're stumped, just ask - someone will always jump up and help you out. What little ego and occasional elitism that does manifest itself is quickly shut down and balanced out by a culture of meritocracy and mutual respect.

The business is obviously working! Not sure what more I can say there - some might say it's inherently not really a very innovative product but there is a strong demand for it among retailers and for consumers, we are really adding value to people's lives through our service. Our sales, marketing and client success teams are all every bit as awesome as Engineering/SD. The CEO, Ben Kaplan, does a great job of communicating our business objectives and the progress we make and setbacks we have on the way toward meeting those objectives. When we do experience setbacks, which is infrequent, our management team and board are able to figure it out and keep our momentum as well as learn whatever lesson there is to be learned and apply it to what we're doing right away. Cashstar is, in that way, agile to the core.

Compensation and benefits are right where they should be for this area and industry and there is always opportunity for people to advance in the direction they want to advance in over time. What you choose to do and how well you do it play an important role in this, as does how well you do the things you don't especially care for! Leadership is very open to feedback. I have seen most of my ideas or callouts get implemented and addressed over the past two years, which is another great thing about working at Cashstar. Cashstar is very Choose Your Own Adventure - a lot is just up to you!

Cons

#1 - Work load: Being an agile shop in a fast-moving market in a fast-moving industry, we do move fast, the work is hard and sometimes intense, and a lot is expected of you. Because of Cashstar's culture of "if you can do stuff, then do it", you might find your work/life balance get, well, out of balance as you accrue roles and responsibilities. It's really your responsibility to define where that line is, recharge when you need to and communicate with your team and manager on how you're doing and what you need to get things done. Everyone doesn't produce at the same level at Cashstar - some people like to push themselves harder than others and that's okay. But you might find yourself getting frustrated sometimes about others' lack of hustle. Just run your own race and you'll be fine. The team as a whole, though, has plenty of hustle and hopefully, you do too!

#2 - Direction: There are a lot of "corporate" types in the management team but a lot of "startup" types on the ground, so you can receive some mixed signals sometimes. This usually manifests as confusion around whether you should be receiving more direction or just running around doing stuff or as frustration around dated ideas related to product direction or rocky execution. My advice on the former is to be self-directed, learn our process for getting things done, and ask someone you trust if you have any questions. For the latter, make your case - along with a proposed solution! - and then let it go, focusing on what you can do to execute well. Neither of these should be earth-shattering - they're the same things you would do anywhere else!

#3 - Initial Intimidation/Culture Shock: Our onboarding process has gotten much better than some of the earlier reviews might suggest. However, Cashstar is not for you if you like to have your hand held! Collaboration is good and healthy but doing your job for you is neither - not for the team and especially not for you. If you're used to teaching yourself complex things without anyone to walk you through it, you will have a distinct advantage and if not, you will be supported by your team to an appropriate degree until you feel ready to rock. Our pace might make you feel like you should be "ready" way before you really should - put your pride on the shelf and give yourself at least a year before you start expecting all sorts of things from yourself!

#4 - Operations Support - The biggest con I can think of is that we work insanely hard - in my opinion, harder than we really should be - on our platform operations. If I had one problem that I could wave a magic wand and solve, that would be it. As an engineer, you will also work really hard on this, especially during our peak season. It's just something all of us must participate in and it gets pretty rough, although it has gotten much, much better over the past couple of years.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communication and culture! Resist the impulse to become overly traditional, corporate and top-down and instead, work on becoming more data-driven, leveraging lean and agile startup methods, and continuing to give great people the capacity to innovate.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, ME

Pros

Teams are small and engineers are empowered. There is very little overhead and a flat structure so teams can work quickly. Modern technology, progressive team, fun people, and in a great location.

Cons

I have no major concerns.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work building a great culture.

7. "No raises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Cashstar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting people, very intelligent. Potentially a good product, and there is a good chance the company good make money someday.

Cons

Senior management believes it is cheaper to replace people who quit than keep up with market compensation. Serial intrusions by hackers might make this a risky company to do business with.

8. "Great People, Poor Training"

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Portland, ME

I worked at Cashstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Super nice people from top to bottom, beautiful work space, convenient in-town location. I was brought in for seasonal work through a temp agency.

Cons

Thoroughly inadequate training for a complex job of customer care associate. Very hard to feel pride in my work when I knew I was doing it incorrectly. Company had clearly taken on more clients than they could service, and the result was unhappy callers and ignored customer care contacts - not good business practice. They need to be sure they have enough adequately trained staff before taking on more clients - they are already stretched too thin.

Advice to Management

Perhaps a training manual, or at least of list of do's and don'ts. A couple of days of shadowing employees with different styles was very little help.

"cashstar review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Cashstar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is great - good people that truly embody the Maine way, beer on Thursdays, fun outings, etc. Also a few really smart people.

Cons

Poor management, juvenile and unprofessional, company isn't quite going places, wasn't much room for personal growth and slow to promote.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you're in high school. The gossip and games are very unbecoming and immature.

10. "Good middle management, poor communicatio from the upper levels"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at Cashstar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The place has a great start-up atmosphere, everybody is easy going. It's really one of a kind in Portland Maine.

Cons

The pay isn't great but that comes with the trade-offs you want to make. There aren't similar opportunities in the area.

Advice to Management

Communicate your plans to your workers.