Cask Data Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 23, 2017

4.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Best company where I have ever been employed"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cask Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cask is a flat organization, with a heavy focus on Engineering. I would guess that 75% of the company are engineers. All Engineers report to the VP of Engineering, directly. Engineers are assigned into teams, focused on a single project or major features, and self-organize. Direction and goals are given, but technical details are left up to the teams to decide. The management style is particularly hands-off, allowing engineers to work without impedance. Compensation is comparable with other startups looking for top talent. The company has an "unlimited vacation" policy and allows for work from home, as needed. Catered lunches are provided, free of charge. Snacks and drinks are stocked in the office at all times. The office is just around the corner from the California Avenue Caltrain station, so public transportation is readily available. The office itself is open, with no cubicles or offices. The CEO sits amongst the rest of the employees and several conference rooms are available for private conversations. The company's products are open source and involvement in the open source community is vital to an employee's success.

Cons

Cask moves very quickly. This can lead to some pressures both in the office and at home as deadlines approach. There is a tendency to work on new features and code until very near the release, which increases pressure at release times. The flat organization can sometimes lead to small "silos" and cross-team communication must be initiated by the teams, themselves. Sometimes features and direction are changed based on customer feedback or requests without being properly vetted before becoming requirements. This leads to long discovery times, which can interrupt the forward momentum of a team.

Advice to Management

Focus more on enterprise-ready features and less on "the new hotness" will make the product line a little bit less "sexy" but will improve the company's reputation in the enterprise.

"Great atmosphere with a terrific work/life balance"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cask Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The company is growing rapidly, and the path forward seems very clearly defined
    - Great work/life balance. I'm able to work from home if I have a doctor's appointment or something else going on close to home
    - The morale is high and I feel appreciated. I can go to work knowing I'm not entering a toxic environment
    - I'm getting the chance to work alongside some ridiculously intelligent people and learn from them
    - Brand new Retina MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt display waiting on my desk when I walked in on my first day

Cons

The pace of growth is a bit faster than I was expecting, so the day-to-day can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Growth is never a bad thing, but it should happen in a healthy and organized fashion. It's imperative to have the right amount of resources on the payroll to keep up with business needs, or eventually productivity will suffer.

"Software Engineer @ Continuuity"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cask Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly experienced people with big hearts, passionate about ideas they are working on.
    Flat organization creates open culture and a great opportunity to learn by challenging yourself at different levels: you get chance to work on some of the most complex stuff even if you don't have 10+ years prior experience and don't hold a title of "Super Senior Principal Architect of Everything".
    Everyone in engineering team is hands-on. No "talkers", only "doers".

Cons

At times could be noisy in the office. Processes are not solidified yet, so you can still experience some extra effort required close to release dates and deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep on hiring great people. Work on processes.

5. "software engineer intern"

I worked at Cask Data as an intern

Pros

Great culture, nice people, flexible working time.

Cons

Lunch was not good, a little bit fast pace.

"Software Engineer Intern"

I worked at Cask Data as an intern

Pros

Great Culture, And The coders in the Cask is pretty professional. What they do is quite exciting to cater to the future trend.

Cons

The Interview process should be more professional and the positions are relatively few.And Not many people heard of it

"Overall, it's been a good experience."

Pros

The office culture and environment are great. For the most part, quality of life is great due to the short commute and flexible hours.

Cons

The horizontal structure of the organization does not present many promotion opportunities, and the training and professional growth program could use some work.