Cast & Crew Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Payroll Coordinator"

Former Employee - Payroll Coordinator in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Payroll Coordinator in Burbank, CA

I worked at Cast & Crew (More than a year)

Pros

3 day weekends are the best!

Cons

Long hours can be stressful

Advice to Management

n/a

2. "Expendable...very high turnover rate. AVOID."

I worked at Cast & Crew full-time

Pros

Pay is good. Benefits is not bad either. Room to grow and learn.

Cons

Worked for less than 3 months and got let go. Was told that I was not a right fit. Well how about telling me that at the interview so you save me the headache of changing my job and life and then loosing it all again? There was a huge disconnect of communication and direction in the IT department. Low morale. Coworkers who you could not even have a fun discussion with because of this extreme workaholic vibe at this place. Payroll is a dreadful place to be part of. Employees here are treated just like gum; replaceable once the flavor is gone. I would avoid recommending anyone to look for a position here. I did not see many happy employees here at all. Rather, I saw a huge volume of overworked and unhappy people. In the almost 3 months of working there I saw a huge amount of terminations and new hires. This shows extreme instability in the company.

Advice to Management

Learn to show appreciation to your employees. They are what makes the business run. Learn to keep the good employees and get rid of the really poor ones.

"Working with the Crew."

I worked at Cast & Crew full-time

Pros

Most of the people you work with are wonderful.

Cons

The upper management doesn't understand what their decisions mean for others, and do not know when to incorporate departments who need to apply the changes.

Advice to Management

Learn when you need the input of those below you, especially if you don't fully understand the impact your decisions have on the rest of the company, or specific departments.

"Incredible people!"

I have been working at Cast & Crew full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The folks here are professional and have a great deal of experience in their field, but the best part is that everyone is so friendly and helpful! Processes are efficient, and support teams like HR and IT rock!

Cons

The company is undergoing a transition with the acquisition of Final Draft and Caps Payroll. Change is always a bit difficult initially - new teammates, new office environments, etc. but change also encourages fresh thought and new talent! The benefits are comprehensive but medical benefits for the family are steep! :/

Advice to Management

Keep doing your thing!

"Perfect Environment For Growth"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Cast & Crew full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From the beginning, Cast & Crew has always personified an extremely friendly and welcoming environment for new employees. There are so many opportunities for professional growth with the responsibilities that have been delegated to me thus far. I actually look forward to coming into the office every day and monitoring my progress as an employee. Working here has developed my organizational skills, on top of my communication and collaboration skills. Supervisors truly want to see their employees succeed, while still helping the company achieve its mission.

Cons

Some departments are not as innovative as others, however, changing certain project development processes doesn't need to be looked as a negative aspect when moving forward

Advice to Management

Continue to hold employee satisfaction as a value, and also remember that Cast & Crew wouldn't be the high-quality company it is without its motivated departments. Innovation and creativity will take this company far in the upcoming future

"It's just a job..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Cast & Crew full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Majority of employees are great. There are some a few managers from the Old Cast and Crew days that still believe in caring and appreciating employees. With the acquisition of CAPS, many staff has been welcoming.

Cons

Truth be told, you are just a number and expendable. There is no loyalty so it's for the best you treat this as nothing but a job. For those that pride themselves on their work, work ethics and quality, this is not the place for you. Executives and management does not care (except for a handful). You will be micro-managed. You will be warned for being away from your desk, even if it's to the restroom, management just assumes you're walking around. You will be warned about conversing with others, even if it's work related. You will be warned about breaks/lunch, even if it's within the allocated time. You will be warned about who you break or lunch with, even though legally they cannot tell you directly that you cannot break/eat w/ someone. They will conveniently schedule your lunches at different times. You will be managed by fear.

The environment and culture is extremely toxic, stressful and hypocritical to everything C&C pretends it to be. Truth is they don't care about their employees, the sooner you accept this the easier it will be to go into work every day. Otherwise you'll be miserable w/o understanding why you are being treated the way you are.

Advice to Management

It starts with the Executive team. When they start caring for their employees, then managers will follow suit. Until then, employees will be disgruntled, quality of work will suffer and productivity will be low. The high turnovers in every dept should open your eyes and be a sign.

"This Is the Place to Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Cast & Crew full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cast & Crew is the best of both worlds: staying an old-style family place but moving forward with cool purchases (FinalDRaft and CAPS). Also changing from paper-processing to neat digital products (software). I think it's the best company in this biz.

Cons

I think we still have to grow up a bit b/c we're getting bigger really fast. But I think the management (which is pretty good, for the most part) always tries to do the right thing.

Advice to Management

Please don't lose sight of employees as we grow. MAny of us have been here a long time (some 20 years and more) and we love this place. Don't let our new things change us too much.

"I Love My Job"

I have been working at Cast & Crew full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open, friendly work environment. Opportunities for growth. Employee retention (a lot of employees have been part of the company for many years). Competitive benefits and bonus options.

Cons

More internal communications would be beneficial.

Advice to Management

Continue to actively foster a positive work environment. I've always been a big believer that a little open dialogue goes a long way and would encourage any manager to conduct more open, honest and transparent communications, more often. With new acquisitions comes inevitable change -- which can be scary and unpredictable. It would be great to see more two-way communications between employees (at all levels) and their managers/leadership teams to discuss challenges and successes so that voices are heard and solutions put into action.

"Poor morale during Acquistion"

I worked at Cast & Crew full-time

Pros

As a former CAPS employee, the benefits, events, Annual Bonuses.

Cons

Lack of communication from C & C management to CAPS Employees. Lot's mishaps when given communication on upcoming events and changes. Despite more options with benefits the out of pocket cost for employees with family became more. Annual merit increase was an insult to injury. Many people were confused in terms of management decisions with the high turnover on the CAPS side. Many members of the C & C staff when it came to requesting assistance or work had a "This was due yesterday mentality". This created a toxic environment where you were constantly reminded how expendable you were compared to upper management.

Advice to Management

Show more transparency on company wide decisions. Show more effort to keep highly skilled employees. Be more involved in improving morale. Consider remote office for employees with longer commutes. Create a forum for the newly acquired companies to voice their concerns quarterly. Low morale equals high turnover and poor quality work.

"Downward! Cast & Crew Lacks Quality, Integrity (mostly) and Security!"

I worked at Cast & Crew full-time

Pros

Unfortunately the handful of pros were pre-acquisition. Great benefit options, camaraderie, transparency

Cons

C&C company culture has a 'Stepford Wives' feel among upper management. Authenticity is no where to be found. Employees are treated as dispensable and taken advantage of with managers gleaming with smiles on their faces and empty stares. If you ask a question, no one knows the answer and managers will get offended with you simply for asking. They create more work than necessary because they aren't savvy. They are artful at intimidation, "nice-nasty" and patronizing. The new HR department constantly under delivers and is behind. During the acquisition benefits were messed up, the CAPS HR team was uninformed and constantly scrambling, yet CAPS employees weren't welcomed to reach out to C&C directly. Fire, Aim, ready...wait what were we doing?... was the approach.

Advice to Management

Hire competent leaders and not just yes men because when it's time to make important decisions you'll want strong leaders with experience and knowledge in their function to give a solid point of view and to deliver instead of managing down and hoping their subordinates know and can handle issues that they themselves cannot. Also I dare you to look up 'quality, integrity and security.' If you're going to use these as your core values you have a lot of work to do! First things first, determine what they mean. 2nd, it starts at the top - I know you're paid well so it's hard to believe that you are possibly the problem, but these are not the things that make you, that make a company. HR should bring in executive coaches and turn that place around...do this, adhere to the values and you'll be great! You're dealing with people, humans with families, livelihoods and feelings! Act accordingly.