Casting House Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Jason Borgstahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Project Coordinator at Casting House."

I worked at Casting House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with clients through the old fashion method of telephone. It was quite refreshing not going through a pre-recorded telephone system, or social and technological media. It was quite refreshing hearing another person on the other end of the call.

The managements and staff are all very nice and welcoming.

Casting house invests allot into training their staff. After training with management, I was already starting my position with more knowledge and experience than when I applied.

Their pay and benefits were reasonable.

They offered opportunities to learn and train in other departments.

Cons

I found their operation process to be hard to follow.

Advice to Management

I wish to suggest a smoother operation transition between departments in the company in order to complete the projects.

2. "Overworked for the low salary...."

I worked at Casting House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made great friends, you can drink beer on Fridays, they're not too strict about what you wear, bonuses just started when I left and that was a great idea.

Cons

You don't just get to leave at 5PM, you have to stay late... a LOT. The salary is so, so low for the amount of work these employees do. You get screamed at by customers on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Pay your hard workers more.

3. "CSR"

I worked at Casting House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It seemed like a great place to work at first but then you realize you walked into a huge mess.

Cons

So many downsides to this place. I've worked for a jewelry store before on State Street and I learned so much and actually enjoyed that job so this seemed like a good fit. But the manager is absolutely awful and scary to work for. Stay away from this job at all costs. The other employees seemed to be very overworked and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Train well, pay well and treat your employees well.

"The environment and interaction from employees was very much like highschool. It's an extremely negative atmosphere."

Former Employee - Customer Service Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Casting House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company will hire you if you are desperate and have no experience due to the high volume of employee turn around.

Cons

The manager of the CSR department has a huge negative impact throughout the entire company. They will refuse to give bonuses you've earned. And lie about hours you're expected to work to make it sound like a great place to be.

"Most Chaotic Place I've Ever Worked-- And I've Worked In Restaurants"

I worked at Casting House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll meet some good people who are fun to work with. You'll also learn a lot about the jewelry industry and casting process.

Cons

disorganized, lot of pointless legacy procedures, owners not open to feedback, not protective of employees, low pay, high stress, lot of people at this place just don't care, some customers can be really terrible

Advice to Management

Take better care of employees, pay people what they're worth, work to create more structure throughout the business, don't let customers walk all over your employees

"Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Just don't do it."

I worked at Casting House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will learn a ton about jewelry, i.e. setting styles, stone shapes, stone ordering, jewelry industry standards.
    You will meet an eclectic group in the production staff-- stone setters, metal casters, shipping department, CAD departments- all have a passion for their jobs and truly enjoy what they do for a living.
    They taught me so much in the way of talking about jewelry to customers.

Cons

You will be expected to show up early and stay late. Often.
    You will not be compensated for any additional effort you put in on the job. Overtime is a myth.
    There is no formal training period - all that's required is minimal customer service experience, yet you will be expected to jump right in and just know company protocol. Possibly by osmosis?
    If you make a mistake the call center manager will eviscerate you loudly in front of the entire staff.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the day to day job duties IN THE INTERVIEW.
    Invest in an in depth training program for project coordinators.
    Tighten the lines of communication between departments!
    Hire someone with a strong background in call center management to oversee the call center.

"Overworked & Underpaid"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Casting House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great manufacturing experience and opportunities to work jewelry stores and businesses nationwide.

Cons

Salary was not commensurate with experience and qualifications, and it's nearly impossible to live on such a low income in Chicago.

"Bad organization"

I worked at Casting House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

will teach CAD for beneficiary purpose and you are Screwed after ..

Cons

Very bad environment to work, highly stressful, long hours if you are salary based . ownership is unethical .

Advice to Management

employ leaders that contribute to HR and developed work place

"Unfair and Unmanageable"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Casting House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You might make some new friends. If they work in the Service dept then they will be miserable new friends.

Cons

those positive reviews on here are totally phony! No one likes this job. Very long hours without extra pay. Everyone is rude. The clients are HORRIBLE to work with. everyone pointing fingers all the time. It's like at any moment valuables go missing and instead of people working together everyone is just trying to prove that it's not their fault. If you don't become BFFs with the chick running the manufacturing dept. then it will be realllllllly hard to get your jewelry out to customers on time. It's literally living in a nightmare. So! Best of advice, do not work here. Even if you really need a job, just don't bother. You will be on your way like EVERYONE else within months. Maybe you will work here for a year, but if that happens then you have most likely have been interviewing and did not get an offer yet (my story!)

Advice to Management

Take the customer service dept and make that 3 or 4 different departments out of that dept.

10. "Negative Work place"

I worked at Casting House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a jewelry lover, so at first was excited and eager to learn everything

Cons

It is an overwhelming place of employment. 1 star for the job itself. I added another star because I learned a lot. I saw so many bad practices and people treated poorly. The manufacturing is run by a Mexican girl who is cold and mean, but I felt bad for her. They do bite off more than they can chew. I think a lot of the mean faces and attitude around casting house has more to do with the unrealistic demands from the clueless suburban man running the joint. You will rarely see him, but when you do he may be screaming at someone on his cell phone or blowing smoke ___________.

Advice to Management

You suck. Learn how to run a business.