Castle Inspection Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 20, 2017

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeffrey Haniewich

1. "It all depends on your manager"

Former Contractor - Inspector in New Orleans, LA
    Former Contractor - Inspector in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You have a lot of flexibility, can se some cool houses and your not stuck to a desk all day.

Cons

The compensation is pretty minimal and your experience will all depend on the manager your assigned.

"It was a great company to work for 10 years ago."

Current Contractor - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Midwest, WY
    Current Contractor - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Midwest, WY

I have been working at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Set your own schedule and work from home. They pay on time. Nothing else good about the company. I'm still there but only on a part time basis.

Cons

10 years ago this company was making some serious $$. I was averaging about 6k per month. Currently I am making about $800 per month. They continuously lose contracts. They need a new business model. They need a new sales team.

Advice to Management

Figure out how you can keep inspectors in the field consistently busy.

"Too Much Work Too Little Pay"

Current Contractor - High Value Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - High Value Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Somewhat Flexible to set your own hours. But this point is null due to the time you must put in to make a decent income.

Cons

Wear and tear on your personal vehicle. Continuous Changes/Updates every week. I've been with company several Years. No raises in over 7 Years. However, work load requirements have literally increased an average of 25 to 30 percent for 90% of Insurance companies. One company in particular requires the time needed, and quite often more(no exaggeration), to do a full high value inspection, although it's an Exterior inspection only(no entry into the home) and requires 60% more details to gather, but pays less than 50% of what a high value inspection pays. Bottom line is over the years the work load has (no exaggeration) increased 25-30% essentially equaling to a 20%+ decrease in pay. Company never, ever asks our opinion about anything. Disrespectful of our time and need to make a decent living. The fun of the job is Gone. Insurance company desires are always 1st, regardless of how it affects contractors. Contractors Job satisfaction is absolutely of No Concern to Upper management. Absolutely No benefits. High mileage on Vehicle. The company website work platform is pathetic. Changes over the years has added on significant time to report writing; for example, what took one click, now can take 2-3 clicks, cant enlarge pictures within core anymore(unless you're using chrome), cant have several pages open at one time to double check information and consistency, etc.

Advice to Management

Eliminate companies that don't pay a fair compensation for our time. Pay us fairly. Give reasonable respectable pay increases. Create a bonus plan so we can take reasonable/healthy time off. A reasonable/fair pay increase for inspections that take several hours more than the average inspection. Respect Contractors as a vital part of the company/corporate culture.

"High Value Inspection"

Former Employee - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Castle Inspection Service (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with this company for over 10 years and it used to be great. Flexible schedule, can be a fun job, and they pay on time. I don't know what else good to say.

Cons

Coasting on their past reputation while the company gets further behind. The direct management is supportive but upper management is clueless. The systems are 15 years old and inefficient. They are always asking for more but there has not been a pay increase in at least 5 years. This is a dead end job and a dead end company.

Advice to Management

This has become a cash cow for OSI and They are unwilling to Invest in technology, training or the field staff. I know the margins are high they are very profitable. So start investing. There is no vision coming from upper management and it's only a matter of time until someone else come along and puts them out of business.

6. "High Management Turn over"

Current Employee - Contract Inspector in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Contract Inspector in Boston, MA

Pros

Very Little. They do pay on time.

Cons

I've had 5 managers in the last 3 years. QC needs to get their act together. I can send the same report into 3 different QC people and they all judge it differently. They try to override what you've seen.

Advice to Management

Try to bump up the reimbursement even slightly and you'll keep a lot of your contractors.

7. "Corporate Trainer"

Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Corporate Trainer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Castle Inspection Service (More than 8 years)

Pros

Independent and self-motivated people will do well.

Cons

No guarantees for contract work.

8. "Great job freedom"

Current Contractor - Residential Appraiser in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Residential Appraiser in San Diego, CA

Pros

Work outside, make your own hours, no management interference.

Cons

Per appraisal pay is a bit too low

"I used to sell Castle services and they are the gold standard in the industry"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Phila, PA

I worked at Castle Inspection Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Quality work on high value dwelling inspections in particular.

Cons

The have trended to price themselves out of the recent soft market in the industry unable to keep up with competition relying to much on past customer business, poor forward thinking as I saw it first hand.

Advice to Management

Wake up

"Way Underpaid and Valued For Doing What Seems to Be an Important and Critical Need For Insurance Companys. Out of Touch!"

Current Contractor - Insurance Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - Insurance Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

My Manager Understanding of What We're Dealing with(at least with my Manager)Flexibility To Set Your Own Schedule, However, if you want to make a good income, Over $40,000,(if you consider that good, I don't) be prepared to work 60+ hours per week, which includes drive time and the Zombie Effect, due to staring at a computer 30+ hours a week while remembering, recalling, and organizing a vast variety of detail, especially if you're handling remote areas. Working from Home with Consistent High Speed internet... is a must, preferably over 3mgs of speed. In order to complete inspections without computer lag time, best have minimum 10 mgs of speed. Where I live, it is Not available, hence if getting paid what we're worth, I might be able to rent a small office space. Sure I can make $45,000 per year, but I would probably be working 60 hours per week, every week, with No vacation pay or Holiday Pay!

Cons

Working From Home can have its advantages, but If I was paid more, what we're worth, I would rent an office which would allow me to get faster Internet and allow myself to get away from sitting at home. Getting Paid more would also allow me to be more prepared with vehicle issues that arise due to driving 10's of thousands of miles per year, sometimes driving 200+ miles round trip to only be paid $50.00 for an inspection that takes 4-5 hours round trip and then often, with certain company report platforms, another 2+ hours to complete the report. The company pays a straight $1.75 for gas allowance (yes $1 dollar and 75 cents) per inspection no matter how far you drive. Constant changes to report writing are on a regular basis with several different insurance companies updating their needs requiring more work, ie, fire supplement questions, brush supplement additions, including, for example, an extra brush supplement for 10+ outbuildings, but only being paid the same original $15.00. "It will only take a few extra minutes". That few extra minutes several times per year can add up over several years. Yes there has been twice, an extra $7 dollars or so compensated. which only adds more detail to remember and add to report. The seven dollars is not worth the extra stress! but its required.

Advice to Management

I've given a ONE star rating for Senior Management (above my immediate manager, who has been good to me, and I like Tom Nay) However, the people making critical decisions need to be more in touch with us in the field, fighting for us, rather than consistently bending over for the Insurance companies. understand that more and more work, and changes to report writing, gets extremely frustrating and takes any fun out of the job. Realize that more and more details lead to a zombie effect, and lower quality information being provided. We're Not computers. Management and the Insurance companies don't go far enough in making us feel rewarded for our critical information we're providing for the billion dollar insurance companies and the safety and precautionary measures for the homeowners. We Would like to see you take a stand, Have faith that Castle is The Best Company out there providing this Information. We as Employee/Contractors want to feel rewarded, feel worthy of the job we're doing, and Be Proud To Work as a Castle contractor/employee, knowing we're appropriately, professionally, and fairly compensated. Especially, take into account, Insurance Appraisers who are doing rural and remote areas, or areas with complex housing construction, like San Francisco, or Hollywood Hills. Ideally, if I was traveling Never more than 50-60 miles one way and seldom doing supplements, I could see doing 40+ inspections a month without help. Or if we were generally paid more, I might be able to hire a family member to help out several hours a week, loading photos, etc. Ideally for Castle, you'd probably like to hire someone who has a spouse or partner at home to help out. We/I am aware of this. I'm assuming this is the case with the people doing 60-80 reports a month. We know that ultimately the insurance companies don't really see the value in the information we provide, we know at some level the insurance companies are ok with lower quality work due to the overwhelming details and organizing and articulating the critical information into the reports. Or are they just out of touch! The review by Jeffery Haniewich is right on. Why is it that there is no forum to see how/why other Insurance Appraiser are successful, other than getting up early. I assume you prefer we stay out of touch with other appraisers so that we cannot gather as a cohesive unit and possibly promoting a mutiny like attitude, which is unavoidable anyhow evidently due to the turnover and constant hiring of new Insurance appraisers. We really need to be paid about another 25% on average for the inspections whether one mile away or 125 miles away. For example, a Flat $125.00 per inspection would be appropriate, which includes one supplement of any type(excluding exterior only inspections, which is usually sufficient as is, unless we're traveling beyond 50 miles for just one or two inspections that day. Some exterior only inspection reports should pay about $125.00 also; Insurance appraisers know which company I'm speaking of! Then, for example, for additional supplements, $10.00 for a fire supplement, and At least $25.00 for an additional supplement if it is a Brush supplement. In some cases a brush supplement should be paying us $40+ dollars. Id like to buy a brand new car, but why would I want to do that if I'm driving 25,000 plus miles per year for a company that shows me I'm only worth $1.75 per inspection for gas allowance. This could be a Magnificent and Fun company to work for if we were appropriately and professionally compensated. We Deserve it. The Insurance Companies Deserve High Quality Information. We as Insurance Appraisers deserve A Professional, Appropriate Compensation for the Critical information We provide.

11. "Excellent"

Pros

Great team and staff all around.

Cons

None to speak of unless you dont like driving.