Castle Inspection Service Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Jeffrey Haniewich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent"

Pros

Great team and staff all around.

Cons

None to speak of unless you dont like driving.

2. "High Value Appraiser"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor

Pros

Make your own schedule, work for competitors.

Cons

Terrible business practices, low pay, same pay structure for nearly a decade. Not sure how it's legal about how they treat the contractors as though they're employees, without the benefits.
     Employment Development Department should be contacted to investigate this company, as they helped appraisers in CA obtain employee status and the company had to pay taxes on their services. That's exactly what is going on here.

Advice to Management

Increase pay, employee status, better business practices.

3. "High Value Appraiser"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Make own schedule.
    Work independently.

Cons

Little to no management contact.
    Lack of communication.
    Low pay.

Advice to Management

Weekly or monthly company updates.
    Share the wealth, a little more money would keep a lot of us here and happy.

"Residential High Value Inspector"

Former Contractor - Inspector in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Inspector in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

They Pay On Time. Helpful Supervisor

Cons

There was once a time when 95% of the work orders paid an average of $100 and the average report time was 1.5 hours including the field inspection and write up. Currently, and for the last several years, they've added a significant amount of "exterior only" inspections that pay an average of $35 and take the same amount of time of as a High Value/Interior Inspection. Several companies they've brought on require an enormous amount of demand, information, and questions geared toward liability aspects rather than Cost replacement, which is what the company was built on, rather than the tedious nature of liability concerns and a Ship load of questions. Knowing what the questions are to ask is another matter we wont express here(not good) Often, the reports take well over two hours to write up, sometimes 4-6, with no additional compensation. The $100 dollar inspections now consist of maybe 50% of the work load, while the others pay $65 and often as low as $35. Companies tend to want to change the form types just when you finally get used to the last one, and the new form type is always more time consuming and no compensation to learn it and difficult to fit into a routine. When you've worked all day filling out reports and in many cases still trying to figure out the latest change, who wants to read 75 pages at the end of the day on how to fill out the newest form? It use to be a fair work filled work week to make a $1000 per week. Now, to make a $1000 per week you will need to work at least 30% more, as long as work is available, they make sure and hire several others in your work area, just to make sure they meet client turnaround, which is understandable. They Never ask the inspectors, who are really the life blood of the company, how would we be happier with our jobs or what we think of this or that type of report. They treat us like robots and computers, really, as if there is no such thing as burn out and we are willing take on any task, no matter how it affects our compensation and livelihood.

Advice to Management

Pay Your Contractors What they are really worth. When a new client comes aboard and expects literally three to five times more work and information, compensation should be readjusted, not stay the same. For many years upper management has always lightly excused the additional demands and information requested by new clients as something that will eventually come easy and wont take anymore time than other reports(the reports that take 1.5 hours) once we've pushed beyond the learning curve. Its time You really consider this or your turnover rate will begin to decline even more. This is real, we are people, not computers. Quantity above Quality, and Happy Workers, will Soon be a Demise for the Company.

"Castle is quickly falling to the bottom"

Current Contractor - Field Inspector
    Current Contractor - Field Inspector

Pros

Scheduling appointments on your schedule. Meeting nice people during inspections

Cons

Castle was recently purchased and the incoming company made no effort to notify the contractors that this was occurring. Immediately you saw a reduction in your pay, despite contracts that were signed giving you minimum amounts.

They eliminated residential inspections even though they paid poor, you could fill in the gaps with those inspections. They claimed they were transitioning to an app on your phone, however nothing ever happened and those inspections and the supervisors that were over that were laid off.

In the 10 plus years that I was with the company this last year has shown that the leadership does not care about those who are in the field and have first hand contact with the clients and insured. Without that help and positive reinforcement your client base will decrease and I am sure that you already have seen this.

10 years ago I could log in and have a large sum of local inspections both residential and commercial. Now I log in and 80% are out of the area and it is no longer feisible to travel the great lengths that they want for such small reimbursement.

I did a check with some of the companies that I conduct business with to determine the difference in pay rates. Castle is between 25 and 32% less pay than the competition.

As many have said the computer system is outdated and very slow. You constantly run into issues that are not requested on work sheets, but after you have already sent in the report a supervisor then comes back and asked you for additional information that was never requested because some underwriter did not put it in the worksheet.

Currently they have requested more and more data on the diagrams that other companies do not require. Your paperwork has seen a great increase of time, but no reimbursement.

Castle had been one of the more pleasant companies to work with in the past. When I compare 1 report versus 3 reports with the competition and factor in the cost difference it is very apparent that Castle is no longer profitable to continue to do work with this company.

Also consider that you will never hear that you are doing a good job or hear anything positive from this company. Depending on your manager, you might be lucky to get a Christmas card once a year, nothing else.

Advice to Management

Its time that upper management do a survey of the contractors to see what can be changed or improved. Without asking questions of those who work in the systems on a daily basis, you will not have any forward movement. You continue to fall behind other companies and that is sad. If you really want to bring it back to what it was 10 years ago, put down the defenses and start to talk to your people. Without it you will probably be out of business in a couple of years if not sooner.

"It was a great company to work for 10 years ago."

Current Contractor - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Midwest, WY
    Current Contractor - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Midwest, WY

Pros

Set your own schedule and work from home. They pay on time. Nothing else good about the company. I'm still there but only on a part time basis.

Cons

10 years ago this company was making some serious $$. I was averaging about 6k per month. Currently I am making about $800 per month. They continuously lose contracts. They need a new business model. They need a new sales team.

Advice to Management

Figure out how you can keep inspectors in the field consistently busy.

"It all depends on your manager"

Former Contractor - Inspector in New Orleans, LA
    Former Contractor - Inspector in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You have a lot of flexibility, can se some cool houses and your not stuck to a desk all day.

Cons

The compensation is pretty minimal and your experience will all depend on the manager your assigned.

"Too Much Work Too Little Pay"

Current Contractor - High Value Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Contractor - High Value Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Castle Inspection Service as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Somewhat Flexible to set your own hours. But this point is null due to the time you must put in to make a decent income.

Cons

Wear and tear on your personal vehicle. Continuous Changes/Updates every week. I've been with company several Years. No raises in over 7 Years. However, work load requirements have literally increased an average of 25 to 30 percent for 90% of Insurance companies. One company in particular requires the time needed, and quite often more(no exaggeration), to do a full high value inspection, although it's an Exterior inspection only(no entry into the home) and requires 60% more details to gather, but pays less than 50% of what a high value inspection pays. Bottom line is over the years the work load has (no exaggeration) increased 25-30% essentially equaling to a 20%+ decrease in pay. Company never, ever asks our opinion about anything. Disrespectful of our time and need to make a decent living. The fun of the job is Gone. Insurance company desires are always 1st, regardless of how it affects contractors. Contractors Job satisfaction is absolutely of No Concern to Upper management. Absolutely No benefits. High mileage on Vehicle. The company website work platform is pathetic. Changes over the years has added on significant time to report writing; for example, what took one click, now can take 2-3 clicks, cant enlarge pictures within core anymore(unless you're using chrome), cant have several pages open at one time to double check information and consistency, etc.

Advice to Management

Eliminate companies that don't pay a fair compensation for our time. Pay us fairly. Give reasonable respectable pay increases. Create a bonus plan so we can take reasonable/healthy time off. A reasonable/fair pay increase for inspections that take several hours more than the average inspection. Respect Contractors as a vital part of the company/corporate culture.

"High Value Inspection"

Former Employee - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - High Value Insurance Appraiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Castle Inspection Service (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with this company for over 10 years and it used to be great. Flexible schedule, can be a fun job, and they pay on time. I don't know what else good to say.

Cons

Coasting on their past reputation while the company gets further behind. The direct management is supportive but upper management is clueless. The systems are 15 years old and inefficient. They are always asking for more but there has not been a pay increase in at least 5 years. This is a dead end job and a dead end company.

Advice to Management

This has become a cash cow for OSI and They are unwilling to Invest in technology, training or the field staff. I know the margins are high they are very profitable. So start investing. There is no vision coming from upper management and it's only a matter of time until someone else come along and puts them out of business.

10. "High Management Turn over"

Current Employee - Contract Inspector in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Contract Inspector in Boston, MA

Pros

Very Little. They do pay on time.

Cons

I've had 5 managers in the last 3 years. QC needs to get their act together. I can send the same report into 3 different QC people and they all judge it differently. They try to override what you've seen.

Advice to Management

Try to bump up the reimbursement even slightly and you'll keep a lot of your contractors.