Castle Megastore Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Mark Franks.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Exciting place to work at!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Silverdale, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Silverdale, WA

I have been working at Castle Megastore part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It says alot for an employee to feel happy and motivated to go to work(especially for a second job). Reasons why I recommend this company are as follows:

• Job training - assistant manager and supervisors consistently trained and remind associate of core product knowledge and proper communication skills(since we deal with intimate products).

• Team effort - Being here for a few months now, I am lucky to be in a work environment were I feel like we watch out for each other, making sure everyone excel in their job and not be overwhelmed.

• Customer interaction - You would feel pride when your able to talk to customer on a personal level(their sex life) and with proper strategy(castle will teach you), you would do perfectly fine on the job.

• Constant change - you can start to feel boredom when your job becomes routine. With new product lines, promotional deals and store floor improvement, you would always feel excited to be on your shift!

Morale - Not to sure about other castle stores, but the assistant manager and supervisors constantly ask how am I performing in my task and if I run into an issue, they will definitely guide you.

I can go on and on about every positive things about this company, but I would recommend working with them!

Cons

Because of the nature of what castle sells, I do encounter some customer who would NOT want to talk to me. It does get frustrating but there are strategies that will be taught to you.

Advice to Management

I enjoy Castle University ( learning the fine details of company products ) but it would be nice to have some portal login were an employee can study at home. It does suck to access lecture only at the store location, since im constantly busy assisting customer and doing other important task.

"This is not your average anything."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CEO is passionate, driven and designed to push this company in only one direction, forward. The name, the credibility and the out of the box thinking, is what puts the company on the map. For him, there is no time to ruminate over the past. Today is tomorrow, and yesterday is forgotten. Not everyone appreciates a blunt response to under performance, but if you pay attention, most of the aggression is on the action that lead to failure (Potentially affecting his company or his team), rather than the person. I have noticed the influence of both the COO and the sales manager in showing him results through more active communications, specifically during our last manager’s convention. People who work for him and work with him need to understand, he is protective of his company. People who waste his time are wasting the company’s time.
    The COO has vision and has elevated the company to higher levels. The environment of class and elegance is driven through this woman. She has taken on the job of single-handily transforming 16 stores from oversized florescent-blinding warehouses into moody, high end store fronts that reflective those of the contemporary shopper. This is not an overnight situation, and mistakes will be made. She does everything she can to prioritize the needs of the stores, some which require the huge overhauls. She makes it very clear to vendors and contractors alike, we come first. Not always can they accommodate and at times she is left holding the buck as far as producing results for an impatient store. Due to her shared forward momentum with the CEO, she at times trusts too much that a situation is taken care of, when further follow-up might be appropriate, leaving those who don’t speak up to be pushed aside. She needs strong, capable people who see her vision, execute and are eager to fix the issues so she can keep focused on the bigger picture.
    The Sales manager is a no-nonsense, driven, woman who drives store managers to be accountable and invested leaders. One thing cannot be argued, she delivers results. Her experience with big box corporations has been valuable and she drags the team kicking and screaming closer towards mainstream retail every year. This means taking the brunt of it all from the corporate team, the management team and the customers themselves. It is easy to blame her when things go wrong, or when a situation goes awry, but she is the most reliable, constant force on our team and she commands respect and candid feedback when there are struggles. Not all calls from her will be good ones. Some points will be lost or misconstrued, but this is to be expected as she is doing seven other things while giving the call 45% of her attention. She needs leaders who understand how to run a store and get results without sacrificing the integrity of the corporate values and brand. She needs the right people who will hold themselves accountable when they make mistakes. She demands driven, passionate people who can recognize how much potential this company truly has.

Having been here for 12 years it is very clear to me that this company has very specific needs in their supervisors and management.
    • An Unyielding amount of communication.
    • Passion and drive in what you do, no matter who’s watching.
    • Curiosity in the processes of your store, your company and the other stores that are surrounding.
    • Delight in being outside of one’s comfort zone.
    • Profound respect to all who support you.
    • The ability to roll with the punches.
    • Transparency in your struggles.
    • Ego in check

Cons

This job is not right for you if:
    You think a management job is sitting in their office all day long
    You have strong judgements on sex and think Castle will help you free yourself.
    You believe you won’t be heavily involved in the selling of product of a sexual nature of all kinds, not just your personal favorites.
    You keep yourself to a linear belief of what your job entails.
    You think you won’t be given a sales goal.
    You won’t respect your team, your store and your corporation.
    You are a people pleaser waiting for the pat on the head form anyone other than customers
    You think being sexually inappropriate/aggressive/explicit is “part of the job.”
    You are unwilling to admit your mistakes.
    You don’t have a sense of urgency
    You can’t see the company’s values and your own core beliefs.
    You think you are better than this job and assume it will be a cake walk.
    You can’t communicate….overtly
    You can’t multitask
    You hate difficult/needy/cold customers
    You value your weekends and don’t understand what a “Retail Schedule” is. I.E. split days off, mornings and nights, vacation when the store is not having staffing issues.
    You don’t listen first before you take action.
    You can’t work with your peers
    You are unwilling to check your ego at the door and soak in every morsel of information your training managers and team give you. No matter much experience you think you have, clean the slate and jump in.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve communication.
    Keep being candid.
    Check in and let them know what you think about them, so they don't have to guess.
    The team sees and hears everything. They look up to you and your opinions about them, matter.
    The more the team understands you, the better they can focus.
    The more a manager knows, the better they can direct their team.
    Get more support so you can have the time to focus on these things.

"We drive sales! All the time. If you want a non-selling job, this isn’t it!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Castle is a truly amazing company to work for! The owners have driven Castle to be the best adult retailer in the country, and we have countless awards to prove it. They are always looking for ways to improve their stores. They (and the entire corporate office) take input from the field, they listen to our wants, needs, and even our advice on pricing and selection.
    The Sales Director is EXTREMELY dedicated to winning, there is only one direction she will allow this company to go, up. She is steadfast in upholding the company's values and as far as she is concerned when it comes to our values, you have two choices, get down, or lay down. If you choose to go against our core values, YOU WILL NOT LAST LONG, they are not only extremely important to her but our entire company’s success (the majority of our separations are due to breaking of our values, i.e. time and attendance, dishonesty, negativity, VERY RARELY are they due to ones inability to achieve his/her sales goals.)
    As stated in the title of my review, we drive sales! All the time, if you want a non-selling job this isn’t for you. These words are included in every in store job posting Castle posts, please do not take these words lightly. We take our sales VERY seriously, yes we expect all in store team members to achieve sales goal (including Salaried Managers,) and yes we hold them accountable to these sales goals but along with this comes the opportunity to bonus, spiff and cluster (all ways to supplement your income.)
    - Committed to organically growing their company, this company DOES promote from within (I have been promoted twice since my hire date.) Looking to open more stores, with more stores comes more positions and more promotions.
    - Great training program, the corporate office brings vendors in to provide in house training, local employees can attend, outer-market teams can join via webinar.
    - Various ways to supplement your income between spiffs, bonuses, and clusters (this is for all store level employees.)
    - 401k with a generous match
    - FSA is offered
    - Dental, Vision, and Health is offered
    - FTO is offered
    - Fun product with fun customers
    - Monthly contests with opportunity to win cool prizes
    - Get to work with great people

Cons

- Typical retail, managers work at least 5 days a week, usually split days off, and at least 45 hours a week. 10 hour days with 1 hour lunches (this recently changed from 9.5 hour days with half hour lunches, which was universally liked more.)
    - Premiums for health, dental, and vision continue to go up yet coverage is going down. Some of us would be willing to pay a slightly higher premium for better coverage, offer different tiers.
    - Full-time employees are unable to take more than 7 days off in a row without approval from the CEO. This makes it hard to plan for major life events.
    - Non-traditional retail hours, we stay open late.

Advice to Management

-Offer different tiers of healthcare, with the amount of time we put into our jobs we need a better way take care of ourselves.
    - Be more transparent with your field teams, they strive for your feedback, your envisioned career paths for us directly affects us.
    - Get rid of the 10 hour days and take it back to 9.5, that half hour makes a huge difference for us and our work-life balance.

For the most part keep doing what you are doing! Out of all the jobs I have had I decided to make this job into a career for a reason.

"Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Deer Valley, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Deer Valley, AZ

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun Products, Salary, People (both customers and co-workers). Lots of continuous training happening on a regular basis!

Cons

Very competitive but if you're up to a challenge, it's worth it!

Advice to Management

There's a lot of marketing opportunity. We need personalized business cards.

"Store Manager - My favorite job"

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Our owners, Mark and Barbara Franks are passionate and driven to made Castle the best adult retailer in marketplace. Our corporate staff is there to support all of us and help us grow in our positions. I have been promoted thru the company several times. Employees can be promoted by being flexible about locations that are open in our 16 stores. Each day all employees have the ability to communicate directly with our Corporate team. The company strongly believes in open and honest communication. Castle provides vendor training's to educate us all on product knowledge. Castle has the best selections in the marketplace. The customers are great and make your day rewarding with all the thank you's they give you for providing them with great customer service. Work hard and you will be rewarded for your successes.

Cons

This is a retail job. Our busiest days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday. All employees are expected to work some of those shifts to provide customer service to our guests.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication going. We all get better with your vision and guidance for Castle.

"Why Not Try Us!!"

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is a great team unit that works together to get things done. The owners are very personable and are always open to hear your ideas to improve the company. We have decent pay and hours for our duties and when you promote the increases are fair. The company tries to promote from within whenever possible. The benefits are standard for what you will find out there. They do match 401k up to 6%.

Cons

Need to hire more people as needs of the company rise. You could take the owner’s passion the wrong way sometimes but should always know that they always care what you’re saying. If you have any qualms against sex items then this isn’t the place for you. If you’re not dedicated to the team and our success, you’re not going to last long.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be the best adult retailer out there. Get those new employees in here to help us out. Keep asking your employees what they need to complete the tasks at hand.

"Corporate Employee"

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Our offices are nice. Our culture is better! Everyone on the corporate team works hard, if they don't then they don't stay. Our Store Teams need our support to keep the customers happy and that takes a lot of effort, work, and passion. If you barely work the minimum then how are you giving it your all? The owners, Mark and Barbara, work more hours than anyone else. Why, because it is their business and they make sure it runs the best way possible for the customers and the store teams. They don't get it right every time but they learn and improve from every miss.

Cons

More corporate team building events.

Advice to Management

Keep pulling together.

"Fun Environment"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great Staff and Products. You get the opportunity to make a difference and put a smile on the customers face.
    The company offers good pay, benefits and a chance to win some great toys and monetary prizes

Cons

Only the normal cons for Retail sales. Long late night hours and the typical Retail staffing issues make having a work, life balance a challenge.

Advice to Management

Streamline Operations and Improve training. The need for How to manuals for all the different operational tasks would be very helpful to all

9. "Corporate Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Castle Megastore full-time

Pros

Can't think of any except offices are nice.

Cons

The owners are nothing but greedy. They continue to take away benefits each year. Mark Franks does nothing but explode almost everyday and all of us in corporate have to listen to him rant and rave throughout the office. If the Franks don't like you they get rid of you and then talk negatively about you to all the employees and never stop. They are micro-managers and serious control freaks. Raises are rare.

Advice to Management

Let your managers do their jobs and stop micro-managing everyone. Quit taking away so many holidays and start rewarding your employees. If it wasn't for your employees you wouldn't have a successful business. Wake up!

"Good"

Pros

I would be a great employee

Cons

Negative ppl to work with

Advice to Management

My goal is to step up the ladder in order to better myself more than willing to do on the job training if willing to train