CastleBranch Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
CastleBranch Founder and CEO Brett Martin
Brett Martin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm trying to think of something, ummm maybe the dress code policy (in 17 reviews)

• Gym, break room, food truck are all beneficial (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • As I read some of the other negative reviews on here I can totally understand the "high school" culture that is referenced (in 7 reviews)

• Too rigid of a work week schedule when it comes to PEAK season and not enough hours of work in the off season leading to overworked employees (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company!"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

I love working at CastleBranch for a few reasons, my coworkers are all so helpful, and friendly, and the management is incredibly flexible and supportive. They work tirelessly to ensure that each employee is able to maintain work-life balance, and set an example of that themselves.

Cons

My only negative thought about the company is the lack of a formal review. While these reviews/evaluations make all of us very nervous, they also make us better at our jobs.

Advice to Management

My only advice would be to give better feedback, more regularly. Other than that, I love this company.

Oct 4, 2017 – Director of HR

Hi there, Thanks for the feedback. We are building a more formal review process in Ultimate and will has this deployed shortly. Once deployed we will be on a formal quarterly schedule moving... More

2. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Lots of opportunity, fast-paced, lots of cool stuff to do other than work !

Cons

If you don't want to work hard and be a team player this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Don't feel you have to coddle the babies so much.

Dec 9, 2017 – Director of HR

Hello and thank you so much for your review. We very much appreciate the time you took to post here.

"All Perks No Pay"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. The atmosphere and culture are great. The campus is great. Wonderful focus on health and fitness. Really good benefits.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. Evaluations and therefore raises are infrequent. Lots of turnover. There is often a lack of clear direction or frequent changes in direction that make focus and commitment difficult.

Dec 9, 2017 – Director of HR

Pay has been a primary focus for us in 2017 and will continue to be in 2018. We have switched to a model of pay for performance which has been incredibly helpful. As an innovative company frequent... More

4. "SDR"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Its a great job, recommended.

Cons

Stressful for those who don't take no easily

"Mixed Feelings"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

- Casual/appropriate dress code was a massive plus
    - Terrific vibe and friendly atmosphere made it a very progressive and fun environment to work in.
    - Starting pay was very nice, especially if you are used to minimum wage.
    - Great insurance program which helped me out big time financially with medical matters.
    - Bevy of activities to look forward to (TEDTalks, personal gym, meditation classes)
    - HR was extremely helpful with personal issues that affected me as an employee.
    - Outreach with the city and local events was very impressive.
    - CEO seemed like a decent guy; very personal and made good conversation with me on several occasions.

Cons

- Work did become monotonous, but wasn't a deal-breaker for me personally.
    - Problems in other departments spilled over to other areas, creating palpable tension throughout company.
    - Micromanagement was a major issue for me. I can vividly remember spending just as much time writing reports about my work as I was doing my actual work for both of my advisors during my time there.
    - While there was a "lax" environment promoted, my advisors took issue to minor, random things that I was doing while I did my job (even when other employees were doing the exact same thing). Also, it always seemed to be an huge ordeal whenever I needed to take time off for outside issues. Despite addressing how unpredictable my life was and promising to make time up when necessary, they made me feel bad/guilty over not being consistent with my schedule, even though it never interfered with how much work I did.
    - I was ultimately dismissed over trivial issues with my supervisor. I remember confiding in my co-workers that I wanted to transfer to a different department, only to be let go entirely soon after. It gave a new meaning to "pull the rug out from under you" and left me with a very bitter end to an otherwise pleasant experience at a company where I made wonderful relationships at.

Advice to Management

Every business has it's issues, but just take care when handling them. The company has built a great foundation, and just needs to fix the cracks. Overall, this is a great place to be if you don't have a super fancy education and/or want to live by the beach.

6. "Incredibly supportive management and positive work environment"

Current Employee - Trainer in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Trainer in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The professional development support, training and education is amazing, casual dress code, excellent leadership, amazing facility with a recreation area, garden, on site gym, food trucks. Extremely friendly atmosphere overall

Cons

Job titles and department names change frequently and limited professional development for career progression salary wise. Not too many cons!

Advice to Management

Become more consistent with attitude in regards to coaching. I’ve had an excellent experience with my most recent supervisor but prior to this one I was under another supervisor who was rude and verbally abusive. Also stop changing the names of the departments so frequently- it confuses the staff and the clients

Oct 16, 2017 – Director of HR

Hello and thank you for your review. We should now be stable with all job titles and department names. Our new leadership is committed to consistency, communication, collaboration and clarity.

"Nah"

Pros

I'm trying to think of something, ummm maybe the dress code policy. But some people take that waaaaaaaaaaay too far.

Cons

Training needs improvement, lack of structure, communication, pay, micromanaged, sell the dream...service the nightmare. Highschool environment. No resources, no guidance, people are always stressed. Did I mention pay?

Advice to Management

chick fil a starts at 14.00 an hour
    Aldi's starts at 12.00 an hour (if that puts things into perspective)

Oct 6, 2017 – Director of HR

We have hired a training and development manager that will assess the current training that is occurring across the organization and plan to enhance and develop more formalized programs for staff... More

"Don't"

I worked at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Casual dress, flexible schedules, food trucks

Cons

POOR management. HR has personal cliques with certain employees and make decisions based on friendships rather than being a neutral party. Hire and fire regardless of excellent reviews. Will not tell you the true job function in order to sway you to accept a position when you are unaware of the turn over. Do NOT be blinded by the visible perks. Certain areas have a lot more freedom to walk around while others do not. This was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in job choices and I do have a lot of previous job experience. Think twice and read other reviews. Also the company will purposely write a good review on here to overwrite the negative ones.

Advice to Management

HR should ALWAYS remain neutral especially when they have encountered the same situation multiple times in the past with the same employee. Personal friendships should not come first. Keep in mind you are hurting people who trust you.

"QA Specialist job review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

I worked at CastleBranch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few perks and easy to get a job for recent high school grads and someone fresh out of college as entry level

Cons

No consistency for work schedules and many holidays are considered to be mandatory work days - turn & burn style hiring practices for low level jobs

Advice to Management

Better options for upward mobility and better pay rates

Oct 4, 2017 – Director of HR

Appreciate your input. Peak can be tough especially with the four weeks of six day work weeks. Thank you for all that you did to make this peak successful. We have learned lessons this year that... More

"Horrible"

I have been working at CastleBranch full-time

Pros

Casual dress code
    Good for introverts

Cons

Horrible pay
    Management doesnt care about employees
    They make rules that their favorite people don't have to follow
    Poor training, no guidance.
    Management are upper-class individuals who are completely out of touch with the working class.
    They cant fathom that so many of their employees are facing hunger and homelessness on these low wages.

Literally makes me want to kill myself. Trapped and frustrated.

Advice to Management

No advice. You don't listen so there's no point. Completely oblivious. Privileged, stuck up, spoiled babies so focused on your vacations and nice houses and cars, and dont give a crap about your employees.

Sep 30, 2017 – Director of HR

This is one of the toughest reviews that I have seen. Would welcome the opportunity to talk to you and see what we can do differently to help you. We never wish for anyone to feel trapped and are... More