Castlight Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Castlight Health CEO John Doyle
John Doyle
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good benefits & work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Good work/life balance; friendly working environment; smart people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is worst I have ever seen (in 14 reviews)

• Company went public early so there are definitely some growing pains (in 20 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"All Good"

Pros

Flexible work environment, great benefits, company is accelerating in a space that still in its infancy and Castlight is massively ahead of any competitors. We are paving the way...So really cool to be part of this journey

Cons

With growth comes growing pains. no longer pre-ipo, need to mature systems and processes and through this process it can feel stressful and painful at times, However it is needed and they are doing everything they can to drive a very ambitous mission which outweighs any cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, but make sure there is consistent communication as it relates to change so things don't feel sudden. Also don't forget to make sure to take breaks and have fun with your teams,life is too short not to take a break and enjoy the diversity of your staff.

"Lead Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Leadership team, Corporate culture, Benefits, Location

Cons

Intermittent layoffs are disruptive to the workflow

Advice to Management

Great job!

3. "Exciting times, much potential, seismic changes"

Current Employee - Internal Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Internal Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Castlight is tackling a real problem that affects millions of Americans. It attracts the kind of people who are interested in tackling real problems for many people, i.e., thoughtful and motivated professionals, and I feel it's a privilege to work with these people on a daily basis. That is not an exaggeration or empty-speak: I mean that verbatim. We have just joined with Jiff, another paragon of the benefits management space, to form what will be the undisputed premium product in the space. This implies a lot of organizational shuffle, so to speak, which can be uncomfortable but is always thrilling. The people and the product opportunity provide a very promising future.

Cons

Like with any complex problem worth solving (making U.S. healthcare consumer friendly), there will be many painful obstacles to surmount. We don't have an easy path ahead, and we don't even have a perfectly clear path ahead. What we do have is a clear destination. Like a mountain climber who sees a steep pitch, who doesn't see a clear course of 'pegs', but who knows that the top of the mountain is, well, up there, and though we're not 100% on how we're going to get there, we are 100% convinced that no one is in a better position to reach the summit than we are, that we are acting deliberately to get there, and that we are climbing with some of the most experienced mountain climbers in the world. This company is not for those who crave comfort, this company is for those who crave adventure.

Advice to Management

Fight apathy at every turn. Be clear and honest, categorically.

5. "Castlight Experience"

Current Employee - User Growth Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Growth Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Castlight has a fantastic mission, great people, and a positive work environment. People truly care about what they're doing here and that's reflected in the work experience. There are also great opportunities to collaborate across teams. Castlight also has a great location in SF (if you're in the office), and is supportive of remote employees if you're not.

Cons

Castlight is a very fast-paced environment, so it takes the type of person who is comfortable with rapid and continuing change to be happy in a career here. That said, if you are, it can be very exciting.

Advice to Management

na

6. "Excellent People and Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"A" players who are both nice and smart in a flat organization. Fast-paced, start-up environment so your contributions matter. Excellent on-boarding experience. Teams care about their new members and great buddy system/program. Healthy food. A great vision/purpose for those who have a passion to improve the health care ecosystem for both enterprises and employees! No premium costs to employee only benefits. Flexibility to work from home. Engagement from our CEO and President at the employee level is a big plus! Love the Castlight code of ethics/values.

Cons

We're going through our Jiff/Castlight integration so it can be a bit bumpy, but all aspects of integration have been accounted for.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the right thing for your employees. Thank you for a great experience thus far!

7. "Finding its way"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dedicated inspiring organization with a serious goals of fixing HR health benefits for employers.

Cons

Many changes underway internally within organization.

Advice to Management

Carefully think through the next leg of the journey

8. "Leader in healthcare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Castlight Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

good initial vision in healthcare

Cons

slow execution and scaling of business

Advice to Management

focus on execution and revenue

"On the road to becoming an average company"

Current Employee - R&D in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - R&D in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working with your team is pretty fun and collaborative

Cons

- Castlight's decisions in the past year have been telling as to what type of company they want to become. We've laid people off, cut benefits, and cut perks. We've had two rounds of lay offs in the past year, unlimited PTO is now 15 days (an industry average and weak in terms of trying to attract top talent), and even weekly lunches and breakfasts have been cut to just 1 lunch a month. It's obvious that Castlight isn't trying to attract top talent but the product is likely going to suffer and become more like one those platforms people at work HAVE TO use, like Workday or Concur.
    - This is more of a Sales oriented company, meaning that engineering is lead by the sales reps and sales strategy. It's not about building things the way users want, it's more about building things the way the customer wants. It makes for some head scratching engineering tasks and second guessing of priorities.
    - The managers at the director level are awful. Most aren't collaborative but push their agenda. They ignore all your requests and suggestions and try to massage data as to meet their needs. This is a company where title means everything.
    - You'll be thrown under the bus at this company. The managers tend to blame failures on their subordinates and people on other teams so that they cast away any blame pointed at them. Again, this is a company where it's about your brand and how your team operates than it is about collaboration and working together as one company.
    - Teams are only responsible for their own workstreams and get away with being extremely slow at helping other teams. Any asks or requests made by other teams are typically ignored or pushed aside.

Advice to Management

Honestly, there's no advice I can give management because it seems that they're interested in running an average tech company with an average product and average perks. Much of your decisions in the past year has confirmed this. There's been a very high turnover in the past year which isn't surprising if you keep laying off people and cutting benefits.

The only advice I can give management is to invest more in culture. Make it pleasurable for people to work here. And I don't mean that you need to buy us garb or provide free lunches everyday. Make it pleasurable to collaborate with other teams and to do projects with other teams. Make it easy for teams to ask other teams questions and facilitate helping other.

10. "Great mission and people, good product, still maturing overall as a company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Castlight Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the most intelligent and driven people I've ever met. Understands their buyer very well. Competitive total rewards package. Great office location. Get to tackle a meaningful problem and contribute to an important mission.

Cons

Still working to find product focus. Still working to strike the right balance between sales and customer success needs and preserving the product roadmap for innovation. Still working to create the right job ladders and motivation/incentives that give options and opportunity for contribution and/or leadership to different people. Still working to balance buyer needs with user needs and experience. Operations in multiple internal stakeholder groups need redesign or faster execution in planned improvements.

Advice to Management

I am proud of my work experience at Castlight. It was an invaluable professional education. I believe in the people who are there to make an impact and difference. Management and leadership should try to balance doing what's right with making fast and thoughtful decisions. In particular, a stronger focus on people should be of immediate attention, to ensure the talent that will help Castlight grow, as well as eventually succeed and thrive, do not seek the perception of green pastures.

11. "Promising new engineering leadership. A very focused Product strategy."

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture is very important here. As a result, you will find most of the people nice here.
    - You are encouraged and recognized for your work.
    - The new engineering leadership is doing a great job at focus the core engineering process problems and proactively solving it.
    - I can feel that they care about employees feedback, they take it seriously.
    - More focus on product quality now. More customers.
    - You can work from San Francisco office or Sunnyvale office.
    - Good work life balance. You can take vacation whenever you want how much ever you want. The idea is to not take too many long stretched vacations. Otherwise you're good.

Cons

- Too many meetings. Sometimes too many e-mails. The leadership knows this and is working on it. It's hard as an engineer to focus and code. It may help non-technical roles.
    - Honestly I have been thinking for like 5 minutes and I can't think of any RED flags here.

Advice to Management

You're doing good. You're focused on quality of existing products now. You're focused on retaining your customers and you're getting new customers.