Castlight Health Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Castlight Health CEO John Doyle
John Doyle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits & work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Good work/life balance; friendly working environment; smart people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is worst I have ever seen (in 14 reviews)

• Company went public early so there are definitely some growing pains (in 20 reviews)

"Great mission, great culture, great people"

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently celebrated my one year anniversary working at Castlight Health! Every day I come to the office eager and excited to work at such a mission-oriented company. People here are incredibly intelligent, hard-working, and dedicated to making a change in the healthcare landscape.

Cons

Castlight is a place where each individual's contribution is immense. Our work is valued, appreciated, and visible. This is often very rewarding; however, it does come with stretches of longer hours, weekends cranking, and occasional fire drills. I think certain teams/groups feel the strain a bit more, so it's not necessarily a company-wide sentiment.

"Great company trying to make a difference"

Current Employee - Software Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are always exceptions, but as a rule, the people here from the leadership on down have a genuine desire to make a difference and to make the work experience on that is fun, friendly, and rewarding. We make both making the company a success and treating each other with kindness and respect a priority. That's why I am still here after over six years and through many bumps and twists and turns.

Cons

We struggle making a balance between engineering productivity and keeping our customer data secure, and sometimes err too much on the security side. We also are in a situation where we have very large customers, and so we are a bit more "enterprisey" than we might be were we a pure consumer play. But the good hearts of the team makes up for all this.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to remove road blocks and empower your teams to do their job. Keep communicating strategy and where we are going, as we are inventing a new market and sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

"Great company!!"

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Great work environment
    Great team of management
    Great pay (and I'm entry level)
    Scope of work
    The overall mission

Cons

Semi monthly pay ( was all I could complain about, and I'm not complaining)

Jun 19, 2017 – Internal Community Manager

What a delight to read your review! We are glad you are settling in nicely, and we hope you continue to find meaning in and feel valued for the work you do.

4. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time

Pros

The people - everyone is friendly and willing to pitch in and help.
    The work - there are new challenges that come up everyday.
    Work-Life Balance - I never have to open my computer on the weekends and I have been able to devote the appropriate time to family.
    Flexible PTO

Cons

There are a lot of meetings. Everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Jun 12, 2017 – Internal Community Manager

We appreciate your feedback. We never tire of hearing about Castlighters’ collaborative attitudes. One benefit of a team-based culture is that your colleagues have your back and support work/life... More

"A fantastic place to work and grow"

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Castlight Health has proven to be a company that cares for and appreciates their employees. Each day that I arrive, I feel that I am supported and valued by management.

I am thrilled to be a part of the Charlotte team and am excited to see, and be a part of, the growth of Castlight!

Cons

Days are long but work is consistent.

Advice to Management

Remember that you have the answer and solution. Keep continuing on because the journey you are leading us all down is a great one!

May 26, 2017 – Internal Community Manager

We're delighted to hear about your positive work experience and we're energized by your passion for our mission. Improving the lives of millions of people when they're most in need isn't easy, but it... More

"Favorite Job"

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although we are a fairly new team and we are extremely busy, I believe that management cares about the staff and our well being.

Cons

It can get quite busy however management knows that we are all working hard towards a common goal and I feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

Continue to let us, your staff, know that we are appreciated.

May 26, 2017 – Internal Community Manager

We're very glad that you feel appreciated, please let us confirm that YOU ARE INDEED appreciated. Thanks to our cofounder, Gio Colella, who has always stressed the importance of Castlight being the... More

"Lead Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Leadership team, Corporate culture, Benefits, Location

Cons

Intermittent layoffs are disruptive to the workflow

Advice to Management

Great job!

8. "Exciting times, much potential, seismic changes"

Current Employee - Internal Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Internal Communications Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Castlight is tackling a real problem that affects millions of Americans. It attracts the kind of people who are interested in tackling real problems for many people, i.e., thoughtful and motivated professionals, and I feel it's a privilege to work with these people on a daily basis. That is not an exaggeration or empty-speak: I mean that verbatim. We have just joined with Jiff, another paragon of the benefits management space, to form what will be the undisputed premium product in the space. This implies a lot of organizational shuffle, so to speak, which can be uncomfortable but is always thrilling. The people and the product opportunity provide a very promising future.

Cons

Like with any complex problem worth solving (making U.S. healthcare consumer friendly), there will be many painful obstacles to surmount. We don't have an easy path ahead, and we don't even have a perfectly clear path ahead. What we do have is a clear destination. Like a mountain climber who sees a steep pitch, who doesn't see a clear course of 'pegs', but who knows that the top of the mountain is, well, up there, and though we're not 100% on how we're going to get there, we are 100% convinced that no one is in a better position to reach the summit than we are, that we are acting deliberately to get there, and that we are climbing with some of the most experienced mountain climbers in the world. This company is not for those who crave comfort, this company is for those who crave adventure.

Advice to Management

Fight apathy at every turn. Be clear and honest, categorically.

9. "Castlight Experience"

Current Employee - User Growth Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Growth Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Castlight has a fantastic mission, great people, and a positive work environment. People truly care about what they're doing here and that's reflected in the work experience. There are also great opportunities to collaborate across teams. Castlight also has a great location in SF (if you're in the office), and is supportive of remote employees if you're not.

Cons

Castlight is a very fast-paced environment, so it takes the type of person who is comfortable with rapid and continuing change to be happy in a career here. That said, if you are, it can be very exciting.

Advice to Management

na

10. "Excellent People and Company!"

I have been working at Castlight Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"A" players who are both nice and smart in a flat organization. Fast-paced, start-up environment so your contributions matter. Excellent on-boarding experience. Teams care about their new members and great buddy system/program. Healthy food. A great vision/purpose for those who have a passion to improve the health care ecosystem for both enterprises and employees! No premium costs to employee only benefits. Flexibility to work from home. Engagement from our CEO and President at the employee level is a big plus! Love the Castlight code of ethics/values.

Cons

We're going through our Jiff/Castlight integration so it can be a bit bumpy, but all aspects of integration have been accounted for.

Advice to Management

Continue to do the right thing for your employees. Thank you for a great experience thus far!