Casual Male Retail Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Casual Male Retail Group President, CEO, and Director David A. Levin
David A. Levin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people working in the field (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits, retail hours are reasonable, niche market of customers so you get a loyal and familiar customer base (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sells you a dream about how much you can make with commission sales but it only pays off around fathers day and Christmas (in 11 reviews)

• They set you up below minimum wage with a 3% commission which only averages out to about (in 10 reviews)

1. "First Job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Paterson, NJ

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly staff, straightforward objectives, easy to relocate

Cons

The customers are pretty lazy

Advice to Management

New music please

2. "Good company"

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Good benefits and good benefits

Cons

Offices were drab and dull

Advice to Management

Promote great is people

3. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in West Covina, CA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for

Cons

Closing some stores and still in transition

Advice to Management

Hopefully to find what really will drive success

4. "it is ok i guess"

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

fun, great customers, flexible scheduling

Cons

Commission is hard to live on,

Advice to Management

better base pay

5. "Keyholder. What a joke."

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly dig the staff at my store. The manager and assistant are fantastic and fun to work with. Also, the discount is great, even on clearance.... BUT

Cons

The pay is garbage. They pay federal minimum wage as opposed to state minimum wage (7.50 Fed vs. 10.50 here in CA) and expect you to bust your hump to make commission when the stores are the slowest locations I've ever been in!

There's not enough payroll to have more than 2 full-time​ people, and they're management, so the keyholders get the short end of the stick with minimal hours.

To put it simply, employees of this company can not survive, especially in a state like CA, without having to have a second or even third job, it's asinine!

No benefits for part timers. That speaks for itself.

Advice to Management

PAY US BETTER! This company can absolutely afford it. Present more opportunities for advancement. Create more payroll for employees to move to full-time status.

6. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group part-time

Pros

You can advance in the company.

Cons

Not enough hours to make enough money.

7. "Not very personable"

Former Employee - Computer Systems Technician
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Technician

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They left me alone to manage the store by myself
    Customers were incredible to interact with

Cons

I don't usually write reviews of companies but this one I just had to warn you. I never complain about a job that I've had as I am always thankful. This one you should stay far far away from. They left me alone to manage the store by myself - This was a pro and a con for me. Although there wasn't a manager breathing down my neck the whole time I was left to manage the store by myself for HOURS. However, this made it difficult if I wanted a snack or even go to the bathroom for crying out loud. Not only that, the company is in such a niche market that a whole shift could go by and not see a single customer. If you had to go to the bathroom, you couldn't because the mall they were in had a strict enforcement about closing the doors or locking up. That is inhumane in my book. The store manager would go on vacation at the worst time. I was taking summer classes and was approaching my finals week for a class. I needed some time off so that I could study and prepare for it. The manager went on vacation and just left two associates to keep track of the whole stole while she was gone. I told them that I would not be back and that I was quitting because I had another job lined up (abruptly I might add, but I had no choice. I wasn't spending $1500 on a summer class to fail it.) The manager then called me and screamed why I left while they were on vacation. Not very professional at all. She proceeded to tell me that I was the worst employee that she had ever dealt with. I worked very diligently and did my very best but it also went unannounced as well. They also would change the schedule even after it was posted. That is another no-no. How do you expect employees to show up for their shift if they weren't notified about a schedule change? This company needs major restructuring. I gave 2 stars because the new assistant manager was really nice and I think that the company would benefit much more if she were in charge.

Advice to Management

Your prices are way too high. The customers are starting to figure out that there are other places to shop other than your store. Get rid of the commission and pay your employees a decent wage. Your store is too much of a niche market for commission. They also had the audacity to cut commission and make it sound like it was the best thing in the world.

8. "Worst management"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of down time to binge watch Netflix shows since business is always slow.

Cons

Upper management sells you a dream about how much you can make with commission sales but it only pays off around fathers day and Christmas. Most stores also run with only 2 or 3 employees so we tend to work 12-13 hour days and/or 6 days a week but we still end up working 45 hours or so.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your store team, reply to emails and keep staff informed about thing that are going on.

9. "Exercise in frustration"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with. Customers have very few shopping options. They appreciate the help and advice you give.

Cons

You're often working alone. Customers don't come in one at a time, it's usually in groups. Thankfully, most people are patient. If it weren't for the customers you would feel completely unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the day to day activities of the stores.

10. "Good company in retail!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have to say I cannot speak on the company today but only when I was an employee in 2013,hopefully not much has changed since then. Pros quick advancement able to work good amount of hours learned sizing customers along with other life skills I use til this day(I worked here when I was a high school student).

Cons

Management could have been more appropriate and professional towards staff.

Advice to Management

Require more training and professionalism from store management.