Casual Male Retail Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Casual Male Retail Group Reviews

Updated October 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are the leading retailer for the big and tall customer (in 3 reviews)

• Some great people working in the field (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sells you a dream about how much you can make with commission sales but it only pays off around fathers day and Christmas (in 11 reviews)

• They set you up below minimum wage with a 3% commission which only averages out to about (in 10 reviews)

1. "Asst Manager"

Pros

Great people, good hours, good training program, would recommend

Cons

depends on the store and individual management, pay scale needs reviewed

2. "An okay place to work"

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Great management and overall good company.

Cons

On commission so very hard to work as a group. Company pins people against eachother.

Advice to Management

Commission doesn't work.

"Not Great"

Current Employee - Keyholder
    Current Employee - Keyholder

Pros

Commission on all sales in store and online in addition to base pay, 90% of the customers are wonderful. Vacation pay is available to full-time employees.

Cons

The CEO does not believe in offering raises, so the only chance of making more money is to change job titles.
    In-store commission lessened from 3% to 2.5% (which is down right petty).
    New restrictions on vacation pay make it very difficult to utilize (especially if you're in a smaller store).
    A lack of communication between stores and upper management leads to confusion as to policy and procedure.
    Lack of training leads to unprepared staff (this store has been through several managers, each of which has been less prepared then the last)
    Corporate's primary concerns lay with the new concept stores (DXL) and they have given-up any real support for the casual male store. (No replacement of damaged fixtures, lack of updating on obsolete technology)
    This lack of support leads to issues in placing orders, receiving payment on out-dated registers that barely work at the best of times and receiving any new product to sell to the guests.

Advice to Management

Listen to your stores and offer each of them the same level of support. Consider raising the percentage of commission if not implementing raises to entice employees to continue to work for your company.

"Minimal pay"

Pros

Easy work, laid back atmosphere

Cons

Not a lot of customers

"Do yourself a favor and avoid this company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers tend to be great, with very few high maintenance guests. The hours are flexible and can offer a decent work/life balance when compared to other retail positions. Full time employees get vacation, sick leave, 401k, and health benefits.

Cons

The pay sucks. It used to be that you get a base pay and 3% commission. This year the lowered the commission to 2.5%. If you sell a suit jacket with 3 other items you get 5% on that sale. But since most guests come in to purchase "casual" clothes, hence the store's name, sell of these items tend to be few and far between. Usually it's an event purchase--a funeral, wedding and the like. Also if a guest returns an item, you lose the commission on that sale.
    Goals can be unobtainable and it's always the fault of the employees. People will come to your store and return items that they purchased from a DXL store or online and that will hurt your store's goals.
    People will return things they have worn or are past our 90 day return date and you will have to take them back because the company will not back you up.
    You will NEVER EVER get a raise, Period.
    All of the Casual Males will be closing and converted to DXLs. If you are a CM store manager, you will not be a DXL store manager. This company has so little faith in their CM employees, that they hire outside the company to run their DXL stores. If you are lucky, you will get to be a part time key holder or Asst. Manager if your really lucky.
    The company does not even bother to hide their disdain for their Casual Male employees. After being happy working there for over two years, I'm actively seeking employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Why bother giving you advice. It's clear that you have no faith in your employees. Not wasting my time.

6. "Casual male"

Current Employee - Key Holder in Cypress, TX
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Cypress, TX

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

You get a Discount even in clearance items.

Cons

Pretty much every bad thing you can think of. Upper management blows as well. Job is full of dead ends and false opportunities. Don't believe anything they tell you. They absolutely do not care one bit about their employees. Worst company I have ever worked for. And that's saying a lot since I used to bathe dogs at petsmart

Advice to Management

Try actually giving a crap about your employees and pay attention to the ones who do what their supposed to. Try visiting all the stores in your region and not just the DXL stores. Maybe if y'all actually visited the casual male stores also, the employees would actually care to work hard and wouldn't feel just like sle pawn to the company. There's plenty of money to be made at casual male stores and not just DXL. I Know the store I work at in particular has ridiculously high potential. If only the upper management gave a crap...by the way my store is 9697. It's at the outlet mall in cypress Texas.

7. "General manager"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission sales with repeat guests. 40 plus hour work week. Not micro management. 401k

Cons

Commissioned sales. Insurance is expensive. Over packed stores that make it hard for a guest to shop. Small staff you do everything. I mean everything

Advice to Management

More payroll hours and more training.

"Fine for temporary, then get out"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time

Pros

Full time employees get a decent amount of vacation time, 401k, and average health, vision, dental insurance, good hours compared to most other retail jobs (not open on Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter). The company is still converting the casual males to Dxls so it must be doing okay from a business standpoint, and with them having pretty much cornered the market for big and tall men I don't see them going bankrupt anytime soon.

Cons

Upper management has convoluted ideas of how to sell. We are commission based, so you get a base rate then your commission on top. It used to be that we made 3% on every sale but they decreased it to 2.5% at the beginning of this year (2016) or 5% if you sell a "shoulder garment" (sport coat or suit jacket) plus 3 additional items. The reality is even the people that sell a high rate of shoulder garments are still taking a pay cut. They don't do raises, period. When the subject is broached they tell you to sell more. Not kidding. They say that they like to promote from within, but they will literally not allow you to apply for certain positions even with excellent sales numbers and time spent with the company and will hire outside for store manager positions in the DXL stores (they are the superstore versions that they are eventually converting all casual males to). They make promises of certain positions that they do not keep, promoted to DXL store manager as long as you do x, y, and z, even when you hold up your end. An excessive amount of redundant meetings and conference calls. They insist on a script that you use with every customer and you have to measure every customer. Realistically, we mostly have our regular customers that we can't ask when the last time they were in (corporate's new favorite catchphrase) because it's offensive that I spent an hour talking to them last week getting them ready for a wedding and now I'm acting like I don't remember them. Plus our guys for the most part DO NOT want you touching hem or measuring them. I'm a younger woman and most of them are too embarrassed to tell me what size they need at first, let alone me putting a measuring tape around them. When my regional manager comes in I've had at least 4 times I can remember specifically where my customers have left and called later on to check if she's still there because they're so annoyed by the selling style. They've compared it to pushy car salesmen.
    The other issue is that upper management does NOT have your back. When you get the inevetible jerkwad customer that wants to use multiple expired coupons or return worn merchandise that's over a year old (both expressly forbidden in store policy) and you call your RM to back you up on it, they will always, always, always tell you to accommodate the customer. Which makes you out to be the bad guy, takes away any authority you had, and costs you money. Your sales drop as a result, and then when you don't hit your sales goal it's all your fault. They track everyvmetric possible (nothing wrong with that) but they constantly change which ones they say are important. For a while all they cared about was conversion, then it was units per transaction, then it was net sales (the only thing that should matter in my book, if they're beating the goals then leave them alone and if it's not broke don't fix it), and now we're onto dollars per transaction. People have gotten reprimanded for coming in UNDER payroll when they were short handed and without a full staff or manager and the rm was unable to hire anyone for several months. There is constantly sungke coverage, so you are alone working in the store the majority of the time, which is extremely unsafe.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to be able to gauge the customers and make informed decisions on how to talk/sell to them as individuals. Promote from within when possible. Obviously not every employee should be promoted, but they should be given equal opportunity to people not already with the company. Lack of raises and in fact cutting our pay and then saying if we want a raise then we should sell more is ludicrous and insulting.

"Not many positives"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Greenbelt, MD
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Greenbelt, MD

Pros

I sometimes had a flexible work schedule.

Cons

Horrible upper management, they are completely out of touch. CMXL is a company under DXL and from what I've seen the company has no interest in supporting the Casual Males. I worked there for 2 years and found that the majority of DXL stores would NEVER make goals while all Casual Males would continue to make goal, despite the small staff(same work as DXLs) and constant online returns which are detrimental to store goals. No chance of a raise or promotion, I found myself working full time hours as a part-time employee with no opportunity to move up to full time. I was very good at selling, but between that, and the extremely low base rate, I had to leave and find something more fulfilling.

Advice to Management

COMMUNICATE with your employees. Especially the Casual Males. They're not new and shiny like the DXLS but they have the long time loyal customers that know what they want, like and need. Don't short change the Casual Males just because it's a smaller store, many stores could instantly increase profit if better merchandise was provided as well as merchandise appropriate for that store's demographic.

"Great Money, Bad Job"

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group part-time

Pros

You have many responsibilities at this job and get to interact with quite a few people on a daily basis. If your store performs well, you make a lot of money compared to most other part-time jobs. During Christmas, I felt like I was rich. During lulls throughout the year though, I was making very little and barely scraped by.

Cons

When a store does not meet or exceed the sales goals for any given time period, the store employees are always blamed for it even when very few customers visited the store. The company clearly focuses on criticism of employee metrics despite the fact that all corporate employees and managers know that there are many elements of metrics that are out of employee control. They train you to basically force people to spend hundreds of dollars even if they are poor. Also, their "sales goals" have no logical basis whatsoever. It is designed to make all store associates look bad.

Advice to Management

Don't expect us to milk hundreds of extra dollars out of someone shopping for a funeral or out of a poor person. That is absolutely pathetic.

You should create realistic sales goals and be honest with your employees. Since you seem to only criticize us, we rarely felt any sense of achievement. Plus, managers and corporate employees are also to blame for low metrics. Some of the technology, advertising, and merchandising is archaic. Get with the times! On top of that, Harbor Bay is complete garbage and should not cost as much as it does. Harbor Bay is comparable to K-Mart generic clothing. Every time I convinced a poor person to buy Harbor Bay, I wanted to go throw up in the bathroom.