Casual Male Retail Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Casual Male Retail Group Reviews

Updated July 3, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They are the leading retailer for the big and tall customer (in 3 reviews)

• Some great people working in the field (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management sells you a dream about how much you can make with commission sales but it only pays off around fathers day and Christmas (in 11 reviews)

• They set you up below minimum wage with a 3% commission which only averages out to about (in 10 reviews)

"It just kept getting worse the longer I stayed."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, IL

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Store is only open for about 7 hours a day, so no late nights or early mornings.

You won't have to worry about how to spend all the money you make since you will barely make a living wage.

Cons

This company lies to its employees regularly. Each new initiative is presented as an improvement when in reality it makes the employee experience worse.

Pay structure: I received three separate pay cuts during my time working there. Each was presented to me as a "raise The first time I was given $20 more per week and then told I have to work 5 additional hours. Call me crazy, but that's an hourly pay cut. The final straw was having my pay cut to minimum wage + commission. Any company that expects its MANAGERS to work on commission isn't going to get effective managers, they're going to get sales people.

Benefits package: When premiums and out of pocket maximums went up with no changes in coverage, we were told it was an improvement in care. I spoke to the head of HR, and he actually tried to convince me I was better off paying more for insurance after having taken a pay cut. I get that insurance was getting more expensive, but again quit lying and telling me I'm better off.

Corporate does not respect or care about the field: I was on a conference call and got called away to help a customer. When I came back, my call had ended and a DM group was using the conference call line. The way they spoke about the store managers and other store employees was disgraceful. The regional manager literally told DMs to push store managers to quit so they could hire new staff at lower pay.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees. At least if you were honest when you were screwing us over we'd feel like you respected us as people. Don't insult my intelligence.

2. "great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the customers are great the assortment is awesome love the change to dxl great store hours

Cons

long hours for staff need better payroll hours good work life balance would be nice

3. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun meeting various customers and building relationships.

Cons

Not enough help to get the work done

Advice to Management

Walk a week in our shoes

"Don't waste your time or energy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seems like a nice place at first. People smile when they give you the tour. But the tour soon ends...

Cons

The whole place is a mess with 100 people playing leader on one project. They fired old management (twice!) and the new one is the worst. They don't care about people, only the "bottom line" and made numerous cuts on employees and salaries.

On top of that, they force you to embrace some fake "culture", smile while everyone back stabs each other, and work longer hours (sometimes till 8 at night). Stay away from this place if you value your time or future.

(FYI: They changed their name to DXL but not succeeding).

Advice to Management

Grow a backbone. Pick a leader. Stick with one direction. Oh--and be nice and pay your employees!!!

"Keyholder - Delaware"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Rehoboth Beach, DE

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice location, great service training

Cons

Poor compensation, every increasing demands and sales goals. Misrepresented duties and career path at interview and hire.

Advice to Management

Give up on commission. Don't hold sales goals as the be-all,-end-all of performance. An outlet at the beach is going to be people stopping in and finding one or two things they may like, and then only with a coupon. It's not a destination store...

"Great Job but no future"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Florence, KY

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are hired for this store there are great managers in the district. Several that have been with the company 9-18 years. They will be a great resource for you. The customers are great. Many do not have anyother alternatives in where they shop. Your staff will be small, so you will tend to develop a great working relationship with them. There are opportunities to make money with the base plus commission pay scale that is in place...but this is a double edged sword. In the last 6 weeks of the calander year you will make very good money. Your paychecks will be 3 times the normal. But the tough months of Jan-Feb and July-Sept are very difficult to make decent money.

The hours of operation ROCK for associates. The employee discount is nice on top of clearance. (if you have a need for big and tall merchandise)

CONS start right here:

When I joined on with the company I was very impressed in two ways: one the company is debt free and two the new branding strategy the company has for "growth" in Destination XL (DXL). I wont take time to go over the rebranding of DXL, but to say the company has 5 seperate intities and DXL puts all of these under one roof....it also expands on the higher end clothing, tailored clothing and a focus on the "end of the rack" or the smallest sizes the company sell rather than a focus on big and tall. This "growth" is to say that the company has 450 locations and by 2016 they will decrease to 250 DXL, transforming 250 Casual Male Stores into DXL and closing 200 of them. They began this process heavily in 2011-2012.

Cons

The company has put together a Simplified Selling Process. 4 parts: greeting, interview, wardrobing and closing. Greeting and Closing are retail 101. Wardrobing is a skill learned with time and product knowledge. The Interview is what everyone strulles with. You are to follow your guest everywhere around the store, asking lifestyle questions to get to know them and what style they are. Then using that information to put together looks and wardrobe options. The problem is the customers do not relate to this....majority of guests want a friendly and accable associates. They dont what people prying into thier personal life and selling to them. The customers do not want it....but you have to do it that way. The company invests alot of money in secrect shops and you will have them often to make sure you are selling with the simplified selling method

The biggest reason I am leaving is there is no future with Casual Male / Destination XL. All Casual Male managers are demoted to Assistant Store Managers if your location becomes a DXL. Your pay stays the same, but you will no longer be in charge of the store. You have to pass assessments, specificly a personality assessment which has two colomns of words and you choose which words best describe you. If your personality does not fit the mold of what they want, you will not be offered a position in DXL. This happed to a Manager that has been with the company for 17 years. This manager consistantly produced results, had developed a great team and was a leader in the district/company. None of that mattered because he failed the personality assessment of the hiring process for DXL (everyone has to interveiw for a position from casual male to DXL...no one is guaranteed to stay with the company) and a manager of 17 years was declined to be apart of DXL and instead took over managing a near by store that will close at the end of its lease in a couple years.

If you join Casual Male in the Florence, KY location, just know that the store will not become a DXL. They are transforming the 1m plus stores and Florence produces 560k a year. This store will close at the end of its lease in 2015 or sooner.

The other downside is it is a base plus commission. Your base will be up to 29,000 plus 3% commision on all your sales. You can expect about 35-38k depending on your personal sales and whether you have staffing issues during the year or not.

Due to commision pay and payroll there is a high turnover in staffing. Last year I spent a combined 3 months of the year working 7 days a week as the only one on staff. The payroll is 72hours a week. 40 hours for you and 32hours to give to someone else. So you can either have 1 person at 32hrs a week or two people at 16 hours a week. Either way.....you will turn staff. Its hard to keep people when you can only give them 16 hours and the flip side if you do hire 1 staff member at 32 hours a week that leaves you vulnerable for them leaving without you having a replacement.

There are no training hours or training pay. So you have to cut the hours of one of your associates to be able to bring a new staff member on to train them. This is the case for regular new hires and for seasonal. No training pay means one of two things. You get screwed or the new hire gets screwed. Either you have to give up some of your commision off the items you sold during the training time so your new hire doesnt just make $7.50 hr. or you make your new hire make only $7.50hr during thier first 10 days. I always screwed myself...which typically equated during the 10 day training period for one associate about $300 gross in commissions. That $300 was mine....I earned it because it was me that sold this items, not the new hire. But I would try to be fair to my associate and do that for them. Unfortiant that the company doesnt feel the same way about being fair to the manager.

Also. with commission. If an item is returned to your store that was purchased at another store...your commision is negatively effected by it. Each associate will take a negative commision on the return depending on how many hours they worked in the week in which the return was done. That sucks...especially Florence as there is a DXL store in cincy. It is not uncommon for high end items to be returned to florence and completely eat up all of your commissions that you made that day. and the person that originally sold it keeps the commision they made on the sale, since you took the return you have to eat the negative commisions. and there is nothing you can do about it.

Lastly: if you are considering DXL as a future for you. Know that DXL's in thier first year always turn thier Managment team at least once. Most Store Managers and Assistant Managers do not last the first 6 months in DXL before either leaving or being terminated. There are over 50 DXL stores to date and not one has its original Store Manger or Assistant Manager currently working. That should speak volumes to you as a potential associate.

Great job....its not a career....a great place to work for the next 1-2 years to get you through....not a place to lay down roots.

Advice to Management

You decreased payroll 10% in 2013 vs 2012....it was almost impossible to keep store standards and develope and train a staff on 80 hours a week, now its 72 hours. How am I suppost to train and develope my staff when we are single coverage mon-thur and I only work with them on Friday and Saturday for 3-4 hours each day. How is a manager suppost to do that? The assessments are more imporant then proven result driven associates? What are you thinking? Its hard enough to get your associates to "buy in" on the Simplified Selling Process...but when they do and they produces the results you treat them very badly when the assessment means more to you then what they have already proven in results. This is why you turn your managment team so fast.

"Unresponsive, unsupportive from District Managers"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Ogden, UT

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is in good financial status as far as stability. No debt.

Cons

Serious maintenance issues in store. Worked there a full year and no repairs. Tons of communication about it but no real action. DM was very negative and spoke demeaningly. No sincerity from her at all. Since this company has no debt you'd that repairs and safety hazards would be taken care of immediately they have the money!!

Advice to Management

Listen to the managers more. They really know about the market they sell vs. someone who lives in another state. The numbers tell a tale for sure, however there is more to the story than just that when trying to increase traffic flow and profit margin.

"Play nice with your superiors"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the customers is fun and the hours are not bad at all.

Cons

You can't really move past being an assistant manager unless you know someone. This company is ran by cliques so as long as you become friends with a superior you are guaranteed advancement.

"Management needs a complete overhaul"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are great. You get to build a clientele of core guests who always come back to shop with you. Co-workers are great..always looked forward to going to work each day..like working with friends. Good teaching tools for customer service improvement.

Cons

No overtime allowed...and you are criticized if you do work extra hours. Never promote from within; always hire from the outside. Employees are not recognized for the hard work they do. Constantly criticized for not doing enough. Payroll hours are budgeted very tightly..and when you do take vacation you are made to feel guilty for taking it. Company is not family oriented at all. Watch out if you have family emergencies or family members to take care of...district manager and above are very insensitive to personal life and family committments.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees... you may learn a lot more than you think. Think before you act...do not get rid of perfectly good hardworking employees because you are changing your image to DXL...bringing in new younger fresh faces to the store will backfire on you.

"Out of TOUCH"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Casual Male Retail Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

shorter retail hours,specialty retail sales

Cons

gave employees 25% pay cut and replaced with 3% comm.Managers never recovered decrease in pay Benefits are expensive and they force ALL even part time employess to enroll in $)!K.Limited coverage on floor becoming more commen to work alone with only a meal break,not having coverage to use the restroom even.Upper management is harassing ,VP and HR does nothing about it.No exit interviews from HR to see why the turnovers.Customers feel they are being taken advantage of on pricing and store associates are the ones hearing it daily.Customers say everyday they don't want a DXL,they want a resonable price item in this economy NOT a $30 pocket T-shirt no matter how large it is.They are knocking of the sales techniques of Menswear house,but one major thing is missing George Zimmer CEO of MENSWEAR house takes good care of his employees and provides a good product and a reasonanle price for the quality! He would never take from his employees customer to have prettier stores.Out of touch in all aspects