Catalyst Paper Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Catalyst Paper President and CEO Joe Nemeth
Joe Nemeth

1. Featured Review

"Innovation, environmental sustainability, customer service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC (Canada)

Pros

Excellent customer service and order management teams, dedicated to long term customer partnerships. Very strong leadership team, driving operational excellence and increased productivity with a focus on safety and the environment. Lots of opportunity to be innovative - and in fact rewarded for innovation and creativity. Not afraid to evolve - change is a positive experience, always opportunities to get involved in making improvements.

Cons

Nothing major that I can think of, other than lack of cafes, restaurants in the Richmond HQ area

Mar 29, 2016 – Director, Talent

Thanks for the great feedback!

2. "Lots of interesting challenges."

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Powell River, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Powell River, BC (Canada)

I worked at Catalyst Paper (More than 8 years)

Pros

Busy place with many challenges and opportunities for improvement. A great place to build your experiences. Has been a great place to work in prior years.

Cons

High expectations and minimal resources. Limited advancement. Cost cutting that is not sustainable resulting in poor equipment maintenance practices. Short term thinking characterizes many decisions.

Advice to Management

Take steps to cut politics at middle management levels and improve resource allocation around a balanced score driven criteria rather than permitting islanded mentalities amongst stakeholders. Allow star players to develop by mentoring others and reward good track records with advancement and opportunities to develop.

Oct 24, 2016 – Director, Talent

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience working at Catalyst, your comments help us to build a better future for our company.

3. "Catalyst Paper Corp"

Pros

The people who work there are great. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. The compensation is generally more than at other companies for the same role.

Cons

Since they laid off a lot of people a few years ago, the workloads of the remaining employees has increased and everyone seems overworked. The company moral also seems to be low since the downsizing

Oct 24, 2016 – Director, Talent

Thanks for the review... We really do appreciate your comments - and yes, I agree, we have the best people working here!

5. "Challenging industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crofton, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crofton, BC (Canada)

I worked at Catalyst Paper full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work variety and opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Poor overall morale since 2012 negotiations
    Uncertain future with financial challenges

Advice to Management

Value your people so they get engaged

6. "Exceed your expectations"

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial, innovative, good people who care about making the company better, flat hierarchy, a sustainability leader, great leadership. North American presence (Can & US operations) with interesting internal and external organizational relationships.

Cons

Some growth pains (and also opportunities) from recent doubling in size. Bit of a hike to coffee/food, and traffic can be challenging. Challenging sector.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to employees with experience, especially those with "soft" skills.

7. "Exceed your expectations"

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial, innovative, great people without big egos who care about improving, sustainability leader, flat hierarchy, lots of learning opportunities at a growing company.

Cons

Recent doubling in size means some growth pains (but also some opportunities). Challenging sector and market turbulence.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to experienced employees, including the ones with the "soft" skills.

8. "Catalyst Opportunities"

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time

Pros

Catalyst fully supports employee development and career growth and provides many methods and opportunities to challenge us in our future.

Cons

There are many changes and initiates before us which are all very positive steps in the right direction. With this comes very dedicated focus and time to ensure successful implementations.

Advice to Management

If you are a strong leader who is open to growth and challenges, you would be a great member for our team.

Apr 7, 2016 – Director, Talent

Grateful for the feedback - thank you!

9. "Operations Management"

Current Employee - Operations Management in Biron, WI
    Current Employee - Operations Management in Biron, WI

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catalyst is a progressive company that strikes a solid balance between managing the daily operations and exploring new opportunities to ensure the success of our business over the long-term.

Cons

The markets Catalyst currently serves are very challenging due to the declining demand for our products. Change is necessary for the business to survive. This has created an environment that is very dynamic. For folks seeking stability in their day-to-day activities, find another option.

Advice to Management

You have the opportunity to be part of building a future for your community, spread the word!

Apr 7, 2016 – Director, Talent

Thanks for the positive feedback!

10. "Good, forward-thinking management"

I worked at Catalyst Paper full-time

Pros

The management is great and forward thinking. They're on the right track to diversify products and remain relevant. Competitive pay and benefits. Good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Occasionally, there can be conflicting priorities between departments that can slow the growth of progress. But those are usually resolved in a timely fashion.

Apr 6, 2016 – Director, Talent

Thanks for the feedback!

11. "It's been a great career"

Current Employee - Senior V/P Sales & Marketing in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior V/P Sales & Marketing in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Catalyst and its predecessor companies always gave me a chance to prove myself, excel and advance within the organization.
    I was always given the latitude to make decisions appropriate for my position and while I made some mistakes along the way, none were tragic and the company has always supported me.

Cons

No cons for the company as we have an energetic yet seasoned leadership team. The only downside is that most segments of our paper business are in a state of steady decline, primarily due to migration to the digital world. However this can be an exciting challenge as well since the company is actively looking to stem these declines by moving into alternative streams of revenue using our existing assets. This is very exciting and we have a core group of employees dedicated to this New Product Development ( NPD)endeavor.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. We are on the right track.

Mar 29, 2016 – Director, Talent

Appreciate the feedback - yes, lots of innovation in new product development, exciting times!