Catalyst Paper Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 28, 2019

3.2
Catalyst Paper CEO Ned Dwyer
Ned Dwyer

"Lots of interesting challenges."

Maintenance Supervisor in Powell River, BC

I worked at Catalyst Paper for more than 8 years

Pros

Busy place with many challenges and opportunities for improvement. A great place to build your experiences. Has been a great place to work in prior years.

Cons

High expectations and minimal resources. Limited advancement. Cost cutting that is not sustainable resulting in poor equipment maintenance practices. Short term thinking characterizes many decisions.

Advice to Management

Take steps to cut politics at middle management levels and improve resource allocation around a balanced score driven criteria rather than permitting islanded mentalities amongst stakeholders. Allow star players to develop by mentoring others and reward good track records with advancement and opportunities to develop.

Catalyst Paper2016-10-19

October 24, 2016Director, Talent

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience working at Catalyst, your comments help us to build a better future for our company.

"Catalyst Paper Corp"

I worked at Catalyst Paper

Pros

The people who work there are great. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. The compensation is generally more than at other companies for the same role.

Cons

Since they laid off a lot of people a few years ago, the workloads of the remaining employees has increased and everyone seems overworked. The company moral also seems to be low since the downsizing

Catalyst Paper2016-10-13

October 24, 2016Director, Talent

Thanks for the review... We really do appreciate your comments - and yes, I agree, we have the best people working here!

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Challenging industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crofton, BC

I worked at Catalyst Paper full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of work variety and opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Poor overall morale since 2012 negotiations Uncertain future with financial challenges

Advice to Management

Value your people so they get engaged

Catalyst Paper2016-08-18

"Exceed your expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entrepreneurial, innovative, great people without big egos who care about improving, sustainability leader, flat hierarchy, lots of learning opportunities at a growing company.

Cons

Recent doubling in size means some growth pains (but also some opportunities). Challenging sector and market turbulence.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to experienced employees, including the ones with the "soft" skills.

Catalyst Paper2016-05-17
  6. "Exceed your expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entrepreneurial, innovative, good people who care about making the company better, flat hierarchy, a sustainability leader, great leadership. North American presence (Can & US operations) with interesting internal and external organizational relationships.

Cons

Some growth pains (and also opportunities) from recent doubling in size. Bit of a hike to coffee/food, and traffic can be challenging. Challenging sector.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to employees with experience, especially those with "soft" skills.

Catalyst Paper2016-05-17
  7. "It's been a great career"

Current Employee - Senior V/P Sales & Marketing in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Catalyst and its predecessor companies always gave me a chance to prove myself, excel and advance within the organization. I was always given the latitude to make decisions appropriate for my position and while I made some mistakes along the way, none were tragic and the company has always supported me.

Cons

No cons for the company as we have an energetic yet seasoned leadership team. The only downside is that most segments of our paper business are in a state of steady decline, primarily due to migration to the digital world. However this can be an exciting challenge as well since the company is actively looking to stem these declines by moving into alternative streams of revenue using our existing assets. This is... very exciting and we have a core group of employees dedicated to this New Product Development ( NPD)endeavor.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. We are on the right track.

Catalyst Paper2016-03-29

March 29, 2016Director, Talent

Appreciate the feedback - yes, lots of innovation in new product development, exciting times!

8. "Innovation, environmental sustainability, customer service"

in Richmond, BC

I have been working at Catalyst Paper

Pros

Excellent customer service and order management teams, dedicated to long term customer partnerships. Very strong leadership team, driving operational excellence and increased productivity with a focus on safety and the environment. Lots of opportunity to be innovative - and in fact rewarded for innovation and creativity. Not afraid to evolve - change is a positive experience, always opportunities to get involved... in making improvements.

Cons

Nothing major that I can think of, other than lack of cafes, restaurants in the Richmond HQ area

Catalyst Paper2016-03-24

March 29, 2016Director, Talent

Thanks for the great feedback!

9. "Great CEO, supportive management, great HR team!"

I have been working at Catalyst Paper full-time

Pros

Our CEO is not just your average CEO that speaks great things about our organization, but truly believes in all messages he delivers. Our management teams identify those employees who are working hard and are always wanting to ensure their employees success! The HR team is always available to answer any questions and if are not able to address the questions, are able to direct you in the right direction to find out... answers! Great organization to work for!

Cons

Nothing really that I can say!

Advice to Management

You are doing an excellent job!

Catalyst Paper2016-01-14

March 29, 2016Director, Talent

Thanks for the positive review!

"Staff Employee"

I have been working at Catalyst Paper

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement. Company is showing a lot of innovation lately as markets are changing. Big capital projects being approved at all locations.

Cons

With big changes come big workloads. Long hours are the norm and you will fall behind if you don't log them in. Salaries are fair for the industry however the benefit plan has taken a hit over the years and is sub par.

Catalyst Paper2016-01-04

March 29, 2016Director, Talent

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback!

"Dont relocate here"

Former Employee - Electrician in Powell River, BC

I worked at Catalyst Paper full-time for less than a year

Pros

its a job if you dont have one. The 5 star reviewer must be planted from the company, no real person could say such a thing about this company. I heard similar hype during the interview process.

Cons

1 very dirty everywhere, no money for housekeeping 2 wage rollbacks in 2012 amounted to 10% wage and 8% health/pension (lowest paid union trades in BC) 3 ban on OT, company working on goal of less that 6% OT 4 dying industry, feels like the catalyst is milking every dollar out before the paper machines shut down 5 catalyst is very aggressive trying to keep labour cost down while spending a fortune on equipment,... materials, and consultants 6 very negative work environment, company simply does not respect workers 7 Catalyst stock just keeps going down from over 6 a year ago to 2 now

Advice to Management

The union workers are not the enemy

Catalyst Paper2016-01-23