Catapult Systems Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Catapult Systems Chief Executive Officer David Fuess
David Fuess

Pros
  • There is also a genuine push for work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great people to work with, and be friends with outside of the office (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus structure for working additional hours is nice, but once you make more money in your career it's not really worth your time (in 5 reviews)

• As a smaller company, some roles will be challenged to find a career path for growth (in 4 reviews)

1. "A great company to call home. No need to job hop if you come to Catapult."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is the best I've experience in over 15 years in IT. C level employees take time to know your name, and genuinely seem interested. Salary is competitive, and if you work hard, your raises are great. Open door policy makes it easy to keep water cooler talk to a minimum, allowing for more focus on work. Very collaborative environment. Ego's are kept to a minimum. Great people to work with, and be friends with outside of the office. Most of the brightest and best work at Catapult. HR is the best in the business! Certs Paid for. Great management team.

Cons

Bonus structure needs to be evaluated. Pennies on the dollar, just don't hold much incentive. Preferred the renewal bonus of past.

Advice to Management

Remember constant growth is not sustainable. The key is sustainability over time. There will always be peaks and valleys. People before profits, and the profits will come. Great job otherwise! Keep up the forward looking thinking.

"Avoid: Poor Leadership, Lack of Vision"

Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay every two weeks....but will not pay you in advance for having a client pre-pay for a year of service

Cons

Anemic leadership with no clear vision of Managed Services nor Product. A technology consulting company historically with good culture and a leading presence in the market hollowed out after acquisition by the Chinese and that runs only on nepotism and kissing up to leadership. Leadership offers those on the desk little to no support, leaving them to sink or swim, and willing to cut bait at the slightest need to provide simple management support. Those who have somehow gotten themselves promoted to Management having no business being there as they cannot manage themselves out of a wet sack. Management has no skills to teach, lead or otherwise support their staff. Team member support is the only way you will have a inkling of surviving. *Do Not* trust the Company, as I was cut with no warning and days before vesting in to the mediocre 401K match program they have. Processes are cumbersome at best, requiring approvals from others above or laterally which will take days to approve, even simple changes thus putting your deal at risk. Unless you are just desperate, or a rock star consultant (not sales) in MSFT technologies, avoid at all cost.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself, and most everyone at the Exec level. Sr Leadership is completely useless and can't even do basic blocking an tackling for their reps.

"Good people are 'disappeared'"

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are average
    Benefit packages are average and 401k has employer match
    Some degree of self-management is possible
    Certifications are possible if you can get off customer project but getting off a customer project is difficult.

Cons

Unless you are a corporate employee, you are on-site with customers. As a consultant on-site you don't get to enjoy the niceties that the corporate office enjoys. You read corporate emails about the chair massages, beer closet, bingo, and wonder "how do these people have all this time on their hands!?"

There are meetings that are held where delivery managers talk around a table, discussing consultants that they've barely met let alone worked with one-on-one. Yet decisions about these consultants are made in these meetings by these managers who know nothing about the consultants they are judging. It's an unfair practice that leads to bad decision-making.

Prior to this year, the annual review process was a confusing Excel spreadsheet. Not very high-tech for a company who claims to be Microsoft's premiere partner.

People pass each other in the hall and don't even make eye contact unless they're in their clique. It's a very clique-oriented place and I don't care for that type of environment.

The turn-over rate is extremely high for a company who claims to be so highly sought after as an employer. When asking about people who just disappear, the line is like propaganda - they were bad employees, they didn't fit into the Catapult mold. I personally worked with many of these people who just disappeared and I know that they were good, smart people and I don't believe the made-up reasons for their dismissals.

All in all, though I'm currently employed here, I have my resume ready.

Advice to Management

There is an alarming turn-over rate here that really can't be swept under the rug. I was sad to see several very good people disappear over the last year. Those who aren't disappeared and are allowed to give their two weeks notice say that they are glad to be getting out of Catapult and had to leave to better their careers as there was no clear path for promotion. After meeting the milestones for each next consultant level, they were given vague reasons as to why they couldn't be promoted to the next consultant level. It's like a bait-and-switch.

Catapult Systems Response

Dec 21, 2016 – VP - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It gives us the opportunity to see where we can make changes – one of those areas being performance reviews, as you mentioned. Terminating ... More

"Catapult is decidedly not one of the best places to work in Austin"

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market average benefit package
    Market average salary
    Bonus for extended business (remaining at a client site for 6+ months)

Cons

Don't believe the hype that this company is among the top places to work in Austin. It's not. Long-term (15 years+) employees leave often.

Employees feel coerced to take surveys that inaccurately paint Catapult as a top employer in Austin. These surveys are supposedly anonymous but the links to them come delivered in emails addressed individually. Very few staff actually believe the surveys are anonymous.

Ineffective, ambiguous, cumbersome annual review process.

Very little opportunity for promotion.

Customer-site Consultants can't be included in corporate office activities because they are fully expected to bill 100%. Yet, consultants who don't go to corporate functions are chided for their non-attendance.

Reasons for termination are manufactured and untruthful.

Catapult has a revolving door of turnover due to disrespectful attitude toward field consultants.

Gender harassment/inequality in some client field teams making an unfriendly workplace for women.

Some client onsite teams are verbally abusive and use public-shaming as a way of reprimanding consultants who are perceived to have made a mistake.

With a company claiming to be in the top places to work, one might think there would be less 'sink or swim' on new client assignments, but that method is exactly how consultants are treated when arriving as a new addition to existing client on-site teams.

Consultants are not privy to SOWs so they often have no idea of deliverable.

Some client on-site teams are not willing to be collaborative and site knowledge is hoarded. Asking for assistance on these teams is regarded as being lazy. There is zero collaborative teamwork.

Advice to Management

Take a very long look at some of the client on-site teams. They are run like someone's kingdom and aren't customer-oriented in any way. Take a hard look at the number of long-term people who were very good employees that have left in mass exodus. It speaks volumes - much louder than the marketing hype of being a top employer in Austin.

Catapult Systems Response

Dec 9, 2016 – VP - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. I’m sorry that your experience at Catapult felt so dissatisfying. Catapult has certainly gone through a lot of changes in the past couple of years with our ... More

6. "Cloud transformation is in full gear"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Solid vision for the cloud. Fun work place. With the progress we've made this year, I'm excited to see what next year brings.

Cons

The transformation to selling cloud services has not been without its challenges, but our leadership team continues to invest in the right areas and position us as a market leader.

Advice to Management

Keep the course and stay focused. It's important to make the right resource and $ investments in all of our practice areas so that they are all successful.

7. "Start up feel at a stable company"

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The industry is changing quickly, and Catapult along with it. If you love a fast paced company who is values your thoughts, ideas and opinions, this is a great place. Yet Catapult has been around for over 20 years, so stable too. TONS of fun events and lots of focus on employee satisfaction. An all around great place to work.

Cons

As a smaller company, some roles will be challenged to find a career path for growth. But for most employees, there are plenty of opportunities.

8. "HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Department in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing culture, great and smart people, ability to learn and grow, no politics and flat organization, managers really care about employees, always laughter in the hallways, great relationship with Microsoft.

Cons

Having offices in 7 different cities can be a challenge for consistency, but its also fun if you want to travel.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and hire the best!

9. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture, People, Executive Leadership, Product Development, Innovation, Stability, Professional Development Opportunities

Cons

Would like to see additional paid parental leave on top of sick days.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! The one suggestion I would have is to review Parental Paid Leave policy to align more with other tech firms in Austin.

10. "Stable but Dynamic Consulting Company"

Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Catapult is an employee focused organization, with many activities planned for bonding and networking. There are lots of opportunities for consultants to get training in technical and soft skill areas. Innovative with Intellectual Property led unique offerings, such as Fuse and Launch. Which are priced right and wisely managed services offering, not just application development. Flat organization chart - consultants work with a different Delivery Manager for each project, so the team members you work with change with each engagement.

Cons

I am not a very social person, so the planned activities are less compelling. Although there a great many extremely talented consultants, often the qualifications for delivering a project is based on who is most available.

Advice to Management

Expand beyond the "Microsoft Consulting Company" reputation

11. "Software Developer - 2 Years In"

Current Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

Pros

Atmosphere. Culture. Independence. I'm mostly on my own on a long term project for a large client and they don't micro manage me. There are plenty of fun events (I can only speak for the corporate hq in Austin) and opportunities to meet coworkers in various settings. The high level of talent has helped me learn an incredible amount in a short amount of time. There are plenty of bonus opportunities for consultants. If you can get some extra billable hours, it really pays off.

Cons

Pay and Benefits. The base pay isn't bad but it could be better. You could developer software for some big name company and get 10k-20k more a year. They do encourage good work with regular raises - at least over the 2 years I've been here. The benefits are on par with any smaller business - not much they can do about that aside from getting 20 times bigger. They more than make up for the pay and benefits with culture and professionalism.