Catapult Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Catapult Systems Chief Executive Officer David Fuess
David Fuess

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is also a genuine push for work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great people who are willing to help and go the extra mile for teammates (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus structure for working additional hours is nice, but once you make more money in your career it's not really worth your time (in 5 reviews)

• As a smaller company, some roles will be challenged to find a career path for growth (in 5 reviews)

1. "Consulting company moving into a new age of technical solutions"

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time

Pros

Great people who are willing to help and go the extra mile for teammates.

As a consulting firm we get to stay on the cutting edge of technology. With the pace of today's change in the market place that is a very good thing and ensures skills do not degrade.

Company is moving in new directions on the technology, business model, and business organization fronts. Great steps in the right directions.

Career growth is important and Catapult will challenge you to manage your career and growth. If YOU believe the company you work for should curate your career rather than yourself this is not the place to be. However, if you have a growth mindset a lot of impact can be made at Catapult!

Cons

It's a smaller company so career progression takes longer or more effort. There is definitely room to move up but be prepared to put in the work needed.

Business units are solidifying into regions and one Catapult. While this occurs there is a lot of change taking place.

Advice to Management

Continue moving ahead full speed with the reorganization!

"Good Company with Problems"

Former Employee - A Little Bit of Everything in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - A Little Bit of Everything in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working and creative company. Mostly good folks work here.

Cons

Company philosophy is to grow without investing in additional head count, toolsets, and skill sets. Causes management to ask a lot from its work force.

Advice to Management

Invest in tools to streamline processes to make it easier to function as a team.

3. "Love working for Catapult"

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time

Pros

Flexibility is key. I'm able to do what I need to do both personally and professionally without worry. As long as I'm getting my job done and clients are happy, I don't have to be concerned about pushing something back an hour here or there for personal reasons.

Cons

The only constructive thing I'll say is that it seems like some internal decisions get made without consulting the employees. We are the knowledgeable folks who implement solutions for our clients and we should have some input into what/how internal apps are built. It seems crazy not to utilize our best resources for our own benefit. I'm sure we do to some degree, but I think there's room for improvement there.

"Really good place to work if you're up for consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Each business unit has its own culture and some autonomy. So if there are things you want to change or negotiate, the local GM can make that happen.

* Very strong focus on Cloud and delivering business value, good vision for the future.

* Good career opportunities. I have advanced from Consultant, to Senior Consultant, to Senior Lead Consultant during my time at Catapult. On top of this I get recurring training & development courses that is part of my Personal Development Plan. Microsoft certifications, and training material, are paid for.

* Acquisition by Chinasoft has not affected our business unit at all. Still strong leadership and clear communication. This might be different in HQ.

* None or very limited travel required.

* 40-45h weeks is normal unless you want to keep climbing up that ladder and take on more responsibility.

Cons

* If you're having problems you have to reach out and get help. Don't expect to get anything for free, but also expect to get help when asked for.

* Project Management culture has a long way to go. Some business units have very engaged PMs working with the consultants, while other business units have consultants that feels like "I don't need a PM" and that causes project delivery issues.

* As with any consulting gig, PTO days are sparse so negotiate to get the level you feel happy with. Management will definitely work with you to make you happy.

Advice to Management

* Assign Project Managers their real title. Don't call PMs "Senior Consultant" since that is just not true and confuses customers.

* Incorporate lessons learned into delivery work. We're making the same mistake over and over again cross business units.

* When a consultant is getting a new title or position, be clear about expectations in what tasks that has been added to the workload, and how many hours that is expected.

"Narcissistic"

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some additional benefits such as identity protection, pet insurance, 401(k) match Wages are reasonably level with local economy

Cons

Constantly hype and preach unique culture but this desperate narcissistic corporation is just more of the same typical office politics, back-stabbing and snake in the grass mentality with everyone having their own agendas. Same BS, different corp. You can expect to be ignored unless you are in the beautiful people circle with bleached white teeth and metrosexual hair. You can look forward to gender discrimination, sexism and racism if you are a minority or woman on a client site as a consultant. Expect to frequently hear the phrase "You're only as good as your last project" as an extra motivational treat to inspire you. Lastly, look forward to being completely on your own at client sites as a consultant. There is no corroborative spirit and you will be left to twist in the wind.

Advice to Management

Narcissistic types don't want to hear advice. Back in the day, prior to the founder's exit, there actually was a unique culture that embraced and valued employees. Those days ceased immediately with the founder leaving.

Catapult Systems Response

May 9, 2017 – VP - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the candid feedback. It is very concerning that you may have experienced discrimination, sexism and/or racism at Catapult or a client site, so I would appreciate a follow-up... More

6. "I loved this job"

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time

Pros

My team here was great! Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. Management has excellent practices to ensure everyone was accountable and meeting expectations. Although my manager was a bit new at his position (meaning there were a few growing pains), he always worked with me to make sure we were on the same page. I also felt like management was great at fitting people into roles that they work well in.

There is also a genuine push for work/life balance. Although I worked partially from home, my manager actually encouraged me *not* to answer emails late at night. The culture at Catapult is wonderful!

Cons

The work space (esp. 2nd floor) could use a little sprucing up. It's kind of drab and unorganized.

Advice to Management

There is too much of a focus on growth. That's not always realistic.

"Avoid: Poor Leadership, Lack of Vision"

Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior National Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay every two weeks....but will not pay you in advance for having a client pre-pay for a year of service

Cons

Anemic leadership with no clear vision of Managed Services nor Product. A technology consulting company historically with good culture and a leading presence in the market hollowed out after acquisition by the Chinese and that runs only on nepotism and kissing up to leadership. Leadership offers those on the desk little to no support, leaving them to sink or swim, and willing to cut bait at the slightest need to provide simple management support. Those who have somehow gotten themselves promoted to Management having no business being there as they cannot manage themselves out of a wet sack. Management has no skills to teach, lead or otherwise support their staff. Team member support is the only way you will have a inkling of surviving. *Do Not* trust the Company, as I was cut with no warning and days before vesting in to the mediocre 401K match program they have. Processes are cumbersome at best, requiring approvals from others above or laterally which will take days to approve, even simple changes thus putting your deal at risk. Unless you are just desperate, or a rock star consultant (not sales) in MSFT technologies, avoid at all cost.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself, and most everyone at the Exec level. Sr Leadership is completely useless and can't even do basic blocking an tackling for their reps.

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Catapult is a good place to work. The projects are interesting, management treats everyone with respect and I get to work a flexible schedule. If I work hard, my efforts are recognized by multiple people in the organization. The organization has a friendly culture. It is easy to reach out to people in different cities and get advice. In addition, if I want to talk to people on the Executive team, I can just email or call them. Plus, I really like the people I work with every day.

Cons

It would be nice to have more 401K match. Good training programs, but could use some more strategic thinking on how to get more people engaged with the programs.

Advice to Management

Make sure the roles that people are filling suit their strengths, don't try "to put a square peg in a round hole". It's a small company which makes it easier for people to leverage their individual strengths in multiple ways, find a way to better foster that.

9. "A great company to call home. No need to job hop if you come to Catapult."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is the best I've experience in over 15 years in IT. C level employees take time to know your name, and genuinely seem interested. Salary is competitive, and if you work hard, your raises are great. Open door policy makes it easy to keep water cooler talk to a minimum, allowing for more focus on work. Very collaborative environment. Ego's are kept to a minimum. Great people to work with, and be friends with outside of the office. Most of the brightest and best work at Catapult. HR is the best in the business! Certs Paid for. Great management team.

Cons

Bonus structure needs to be evaluated. Pennies on the dollar, just don't hold much incentive. Preferred the renewal bonus of past.

Advice to Management

Remember constant growth is not sustainable. The key is sustainability over time. There will always be peaks and valleys. People before profits, and the profits will come. Great job otherwise! Keep up the forward looking thinking.

"Good people are 'disappeared'"

Current Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are average
    Benefit packages are average and 401k has employer match
    Some degree of self-management is possible
    Certifications are possible if you can get off customer project but getting off a customer project is difficult.

Cons

Unless you are a corporate employee, you are on-site with customers. As a consultant on-site you don't get to enjoy the niceties that the corporate office enjoys. You read corporate emails about the chair massages, beer closet, bingo, and wonder "how do these people have all this time on their hands!?"

There are meetings that are held where delivery managers talk around a table, discussing consultants that they've barely met let alone worked with one-on-one. Yet decisions about these consultants are made in these meetings by these managers who know nothing about the consultants they are judging. It's an unfair practice that leads to bad decision-making.

Prior to this year, the annual review process was a confusing Excel spreadsheet. Not very high-tech for a company who claims to be Microsoft's premiere partner.

People pass each other in the hall and don't even make eye contact unless they're in their clique. It's a very clique-oriented place and I don't care for that type of environment.

The turn-over rate is extremely high for a company who claims to be so highly sought after as an employer. When asking about people who just disappear, the line is like propaganda - they were bad employees, they didn't fit into the Catapult mold. I personally worked with many of these people who just disappeared and I know that they were good, smart people and I don't believe the made-up reasons for their dismissals.

All in all, though I'm currently employed here, I have my resume ready.

Advice to Management

There is an alarming turn-over rate here that really can't be swept under the rug. I was sad to see several very good people disappear over the last year. Those who aren't disappeared and are allowed to give their two weeks notice say that they are glad to be getting out of Catapult and had to leave to better their careers as there was no clear path for promotion. After meeting the milestones for each next consultant level, they were given vague reasons as to why they couldn't be promoted to the next consultant level. It's like a bait-and-switch.

Catapult Systems Response

Dec 21, 2016 – VP - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It gives us the opportunity to see where we can make changes – one of those areas being performance reviews, as you mentioned. Terminating... More