Catapult Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Catapult Systems Reviews

Updated May 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There is also a genuine push for work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great people to work with, and be friends with outside of the office (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus structure for working additional hours is nice, but once you make more money in your career it's not really worth your time (in 5 reviews)

• As a smaller company, some roles will be challenged to find a career path for growth (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible schedules, really smart talented people and lots of growth opportunity.

Cons

Make no mistake, this is a corporate job, so if you've come from a startup it may take some adjusting. With that being said Catapult does go out of its way to make the work environment fun with Beer Cart Friday and fresh baked cookies on Wednesday' as well as countless opportunities to serve the community.

"What it was versus What it is"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Catapult Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Used to be a great, collaborative environment run by an enthusiastic gentleman from Austin who had a vision to create a great services company that would empower employees to do great work for its clients.

Cons

Now owned by a Chinese national company, the talent has drifted away and the vision has left as well.

Advice to Management

Should have kept Sam Goodner more involved in the company. Sam used to pull us away from our team code reviews for a spirited game of foosball.

3. "Career path potentials at Catapult"

Current Employee - Solutions Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It’s hard for me to believe it at times, but I have been with Catapult Systems for almost a decade now (I guess time does fly when you are having fun). In the time that I have been with Catapult I have held a variety of titles, roles and honors.

◾I started my career with Catapult as a Senior Lead Consultant in October of 2006. Over the years I moved my way up to Managing Consultant (September 2007) and then to Principal Consultant (June 2009).
    ◾I have served as the Local Practice Lead for the Dallas Infrastructure team, and until recently I had been serving as the Corporate Practice Lead for System Center. With the recent shift in Catapult, I am now an evangelist for Datacenter Automation, Solutions as a Service and System Center.
    ◾I have received my status as a Microsoft MVP, Veeam Vanguard, and also won the Catapult employee of the year award for Dallas (only once, unlike my most excellent former manager who can boast of having won twice!)
    ◾I have presented at MMS (both the original one by Microsoft and the Midwest Management Summit), TechEd, Dev Connections, SCU Europe, SCU APAC, VeeamON (as well as probably close to a dozen user group communities around the world). I have been the emcee for System Center Universe for four years now. I have been authored several books, articles and whitepapers. I’ve been involved in Podcasts with RunAsRadio and the InsidePodcastNetwork. I even have several presentations available on Channel9.

Looking back I can definitely see that I have been able to grow significantly in my career during the time that I have worked with Catapult.

In the beginning of February 2016 I started a new role as the Solution Director for Launch at Catapult Systems. My daily focus will be revolve around Launch from the perspectives of evangelism, sales, and roadmap development. Working on Launch has drawn from my full career in IT (over 20 years now), and continues to stretch me into new areas where I have not worked in the past.

Cons

Training and conference attendance has been a challenge throughout the time that I have been at Catapult. While steps have been taken to address this through Catapult's internal training (Alpha Track), there needs to be a dedicated time and/or budget for consultants to train to keep up on the newest technologies.

Advice to Management

Continue the shift to focusing on the employees. In consulting you do not have anything without the employees as they are the product.

"Not Perfect, but pretty damn good."

Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Catapult has done an excellent job providing growth opportunities, and the work generally has been interesting. Like any consulting work, there are some ups/downs in the types of projects you get, but overall, it has been good. Lots of good opportunities to expand your skill set.

Cons

Catapult has made the mistake of assigning people to projects even if they weren't the right fit at times. Catapult hasn't gotten as far done the path of standardizing their process and delivery, but are working at it.

Advice to Management

Continue standardizing how we approach our projects. Keep focusing on delivering quality work. Continue to be flexible around the changing IT industry.

"No concern for employee only billing & hours"

Current Employee - Senior Lead Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice fellow employees. Good people to work with.

Cons

Many struggling projects and unhappy clients. Over promising and inability to deliver. As long as consultant is billing hours, client satisfaction is of no concern. Would never recommend this company.

Advice to Management

Develop people and repeatable processes. Let team members scope and approve projects, not over zealous sales people. Deliver quality instead of invoices without client satisfaction.

"Only cared about hours"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and lots of free t-shirts. People are very nice and friendly, as long as you drink the Kool-Aid.

Cons

Experienced and witnessed racism and sexism on more than one occasion. There was also a lot of emphasis put on reaching a certain amount of billable hours with no regard for quality of work put out or availability of client work. Then they make you feel bad when you don't participate in "culture" activities

Advice to Management

There is a serious flaw in the management structure. The wrong people were being promoted or put in a leadership position, they're disorganized, and most managers tend to show favoritism for some and completely ignore issues put up by others.

Catapult Systems Response

Dec 30, 2015 – VP - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the candid feedback. Catapult has teams of people from all walks of life and cultures here. Part of what makes us successful is that diversity, and our culture of teamwork, trust and ... More

"Okay company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good projects, benefits and salary

Cons

They don't value your hard work

Advice to Management

Try to listen to your employees and when they are performing, give them opportunity for challenging and bigger projects with bigger roles rather than pigeonhole them on the same type of task.

"Great Company and Great Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pro is the company culture and the employees. I have never worked at a place where everyone was so willing to help each other. There is no back stabbing or one-upmanship. Employees are treated as professionals and are not micro-managed. They provide you a great opportunity to work with new and emerging technologies, and they have a great relationship with Microsoft, which often allows you to work directly with the product teams. Also, they gave the two people who were voted Employee of the Year an all expense paid trip to China. Not for business but a paid for vacation! Unlike may other consulting jobs, the travel is very limited.

Cons

Any time that I had an issue/con management was quick to address it. If we're getting spread to thin, they'll hire more people, or allow you to ramp-up others in the company. Some times you can get overwhelmed between multiple clients, supporting sales, and other company business, but again after raising your concern the would help fix it.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture the way it is. One of the best parts of working at Catapult is the feeling of community you get. I only hope it stays this way as the company continues to grow. So far it has.

"Don't believe the hype"

Former Employee - Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time

Pros

Great people, very good benefits

Cons

Management has their own agenda.
    Repetitive projects.
    Culture changes after Chinasoft purchased Catapult

Advice to Management

Respect the people that work for you more.

Catapult Systems Response

Nov 19, 2015 – VP - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the advice. We certainly value our employees and strive to show respect to everyone of our teammates regardless of role. As a 2015 Best Place to Work, I believe that Catapult has a ... More

"Flexible and Positive Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

More than a job, a chance to express your gifts, talents and serve like you're on a purposeful mission. Company seems to be ahead of competitors in crafting a vision for services in the new world of the Cloud and consumption based software.

I've experienced and have heard many stories where Catapult leadership has come through for employees in tough situations with compassion ranging from time off from work, additional compensation or just a willingness to be present with the employee though a tough time. A specific time was when a co-worker's spouse was injured in accident, Catapult hired a cleaning service for the family for an extended period and offered flexible work hours for the employee.

I've found fellow employees to be friendly and available to help and my managers to be flexible and positive in both the outlook of the company and my career.

Cons

As a smaller company some of the benefits such as 401k matching are on not par with the largest companies but the competitive salary can offer other savings alternatives. Consulting isn't for everyone as the pace and focus on service may not appeal to persons wanting the approach of a software company or the structure of an industry position.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on Culture a top priority. Culture change was one of my biggest concerns in the years since the ChinaSoft merger, I have to date found the ChinaSoft management to be encouraging and supportive of the company while keeping the core culture of the company unchanged and would like to see this continue.