Catapult Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Catapult Systems Reviews

Updated July 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is also a genuine push for work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Great people who are willing to help and go the extra mile for teammates (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Bonus structure for working additional hours is nice, but once you make more money in your career it's not really worth your time (in 5 reviews)

• As a smaller company, some roles will be challenged to find a career path for growth (in 5 reviews)

"Flexible and Positive Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

More than a job, a chance to express your gifts, talents and serve like you're on a purposeful mission. Company seems to be ahead of competitors in crafting a vision for services in the new world of the Cloud and consumption based software.

I've experienced and have heard many stories where Catapult leadership has come through for employees in tough situations with compassion ranging from time off from work, additional compensation or just a willingness to be present with the employee though a tough time. A specific time was when a co-worker's spouse was injured in accident, Catapult hired a cleaning service for the family for an extended period and offered flexible work hours for the employee.

I've found fellow employees to be friendly and available to help and my managers to be flexible and positive in both the outlook of the company and my career.

Cons

As a smaller company some of the benefits such as 401k matching are on not par with the largest companies but the competitive salary can offer other savings alternatives. Consulting isn't for everyone as the pace and focus on service may not appeal to persons wanting the approach of a software company or the structure of an industry position.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on Culture a top priority. Culture change was one of my biggest concerns in the years since the ChinaSoft merger, I have to date found the ChinaSoft management to be encouraging and supportive of the company while keeping the core culture of the company unchanged and would like to see this continue.

"Inconsistent and unpredictable environment"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many smart and capable team members. It's easy to work a flexible schedule. The bonus structure is nice.

Cons

Projects are very inconsistent in terms of timeframes, staff, and even type of clients. Offices seem to only look out for their own, and rather than putting the right resources in roles, they'll use local staff.

"Great company, great management"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Very smart and highly motivated people. Generally great engagements with emphasis on client satisfaction. Management is top notch!

Cons

Recently acquired by a Chinese company. There have probably been some changes, but haven't heard anything bad.

"Oversold on culture, undersold on process development"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The cookies ARE pretty solid. The team and projects sold are usually pretty good work too.

Cons

I was sold on the culture. I had friends that worked here. I joined, it got bought by ChinaSoft, and the spiritual leader, Sam left the organization. It didn't help that I joined a new organization within Catapult, that was formed largely from people in other office and were relegated to the second floor. The projects I was perfectly capable of completing were not managed by experienced enough PMs or technical managers so many times they failed, or languished open for months unable to hit billing milestones. Also I was hired under the idea of remote work, then asked to travel repeatedly and was told I was unable to work from home in my remote position. Complete change of direction on that one. Oh, and getting walked out on quitting was a nice touch because my managers felt that I handled the situation wrong. Thanks for the PTO.

Advice to Management

Nothing personal team... One too many acquisitions in my past and was watching an org with no direction try anything to make it work. Super frustrating on the delivery side and the mismatch from recruiting to actual job situation was bad. Oh, and you should consider paying out the government mandated mileage when you ask people to drive places in their personal vehicles. We all realized and started renting cars to avoid losing money using our own cars, but it's a real insult to your staff.

"Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great Company Culture, Career Advancement

Cons

Change comes slowly, but it does happen

"Something is Awry"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary. Paid bench time. Bench vacations that only consume half vacation time. Limited travel if you like staying close to home, yet more travel if you request it. Variable bonuses if you work extra hours billable to a client. Great environment if you are a seasoned consultant, operate fairly autonomously, and enjoy sales. Great opportunity if you fit in with management's culture and style.

Cons

When client engagements begin to falter the blame is placed on the consultants. The consultants are failing on engagements that are fail for reasons outside the consultant's control. Issues with consultants are socialized in back office meetings where unconfirmed slander is broadcast company-wide. The company was doing great under Sam Goodner. When the company was acquired by ChinaSoft International, a new CEO took over, and the new regime began to falter within its first year. Soon consultants, managers, and executives started leaving the company in droves. The clients they were now attracting were less desirable to work with for many reasons. If you cannot keep your best employees and the clients you attract are sub-par, then a close examination of why the internal culture is failing is necessary. The company has attempted to reign in disruptive employees or perceived weaknesses, but it appears that the good employees are leaving whether forced or coerced, and the ability of the company to stand by their employees and see them thrive is severely diminished if not nonexistent.

The company's attempts at staying ahead of market changes and challenges has been slow and too-little-too-late. I fear they are too reactive and not positioned to capitalize on smart employees already at hand.

Internal company support for professional development whether through training or certifications is very minimal. The company will pay you well, but consider that you may never go to a conference or get a cert through this company. I believe they run a lean machine, which is helpful, but ultimately discouraging for the employees.

Mana

Advice to Management

Something is not right. You have to admit that executives, GMs, and DMs are great at financial and draconian measures, but have little or no feel for people management. You are promoting the wrong types of leaders. You have lost the craft the company once held.

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cookie on Wed, beer on Fri. Free T-shirts.

Cons

Culture of panic/fear. You'll need the free cookie, beer and T-shirts to sustain yourself as they do not pay very well... certainly not enough to live in the Austin area. Also, you'll work days, evenings and weekends with little appreciation or rewards for your efforts. If you get an offer you should know that you were the second or third option but the folks they really wanted would not work for the low pay.

A revolving door of consultants probably due to Catapult's loss of their main partnership with MS. Very high employee turnover rate especially in their IT Ops department. The high turnover in IT OPs is clearly due to the management style of the their leadership. Several engineers have left the company citing the direct leadership as the reason. Upper management knows about this but are unwilling to address the problem. Additionally, there is no creative thinking allowed... and no structure to work processes. Potential IT Engineers should be very wary of this place. A straight up waste of time.

Advice to Management

Get a some real leadership in IT. Leadership with less ego and who can hold onto real talent and finish projects on time.

Catapult Systems Response

Sep 16, 2015 – VP - Talent Acquisition

Wow. I am truly sorry if a former employee had this experience working at Catapult Systems. I’ve been with Catapult for 17 years and have never once met an individual that had an experience quite... More

8. "Solid place to work"

I have been working at Catapult Systems full-time

Pros

Great as far as consulting firms go. Everyone is very approachable and a long of long time tenured Catapult people create a great consulting environment.

Cons

Sometimes feels a bit like a cog in a wheel. As the company grows, management seems to be getting farther and farther from the ground floor.

Advice to Management

Stay grounded and involved with your consultants. Broaden the type of work we are selling and adapt to the changing market.

9. "Wish i was still there"

Former Employee - Practice Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Practice Director in Houston, TX

Pros

Great family culture, reputation, strong desire to do what is right, competitive salary and bonus structure that encouraged mutual success.

Cons

Some longer term employees don't carry their weight.

Advice to Management

Make sure to review what works and what doesn't. There was some complacency within the Houston Office.

"Good company"

I worked at Catapult Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of good people that care about the business and each other. Positioned to take advantage of market changes.

Cons

Working through post acquisition and leadership changes but those are solvable problems

Advice to Management

Realize the company's new vision, continue grooming management team, lots of potential to realize