Catering St. Louis Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Mark Erker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nasty work conditions, Standing for hours on end, could be much better"

Former Employee - Banquet Kitchen Worker in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Banquet Kitchen Worker in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Shows me to never get food from their company
    Can get friends or family in a few gigs
    Some side work, set your own availability

Cons

Definitely not for disabled or anyone with any pains or inability to stand for long hours
    Things do not get cleaned completely in a lot of cases
    Can have you travel far distances / You frequently need a vehicle
    LONG hours can be over 10+ hours on your feet
    NO breaks, sometimes slow moments though
    Rarely know who you're working with until you get there / unless you speak to others

Advice to Management

Definitely pay attention to workers. It is good to send people home sometimes if they seem to be having trouble. Treat workers like they mean something.

2. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Catering St. Louis (Less than a year)

Pros

The start off pay was good.

Cons

The late hours after an event.

3. "High Standards"

Current Employee - Banquet Server in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Catering St. Louis part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High expectations. Very well run business. Events include high profile clients. Emphasis on team work. Highly reputable company. Great part-time job.

Cons

Rigorous labor. Heavy lifting. Long nights. If this does not suit you, then do not apply. It is honest work, and %100 is required of all employees.

4. "Started out great until new management came along in 2015..."

Former Employee - Dishwasher
    Former Employee - Dishwasher

I worked at Catering St. Louis part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly easy work on slow, low volume days.
    Cool coworkers.

Cons

Low pay for a lot of work
    CEO, although I never had a personal issue with is cheap. Will nickel and dime you.
    Managers played favorites with people. You're a hard worker and actually do your job and do it right? They won't respect you regradeless and treat you like trash. Manager let a suicidal woman off rather then reporting her to a mental health clinic or informing family memebrs to pick her up.
    Manager fired a cashier for standing up against a racist client

Advice to Management

Stop being POS lol. Pay higher. Maybe you wouldn't have a huge turn over issue lol.

5. "runner"

Pros

competitive wage, raises, some cool people, easy

Cons

Never know who you are working with. Never know when what your schedule with be.

6. "A great company to work for to grow as a manager!"

Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Catering St. Louis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the collaboration I have with the Director of Operations and the President of Catering St Louis. My ideas are appreciated and I feel like a respected and important part of the team.

I love working for a company that puts the customer first.

Cons

The location where I work is very demanding. When looking for prospective managers, it seems tough to find applicants who will put in the time and self-motivation required to succeed.

7. "LOVE MY JOB"

I have been working at Catering St. Louis full-time

Pros

I absolutely love my job with Catering St. Louis. It's the best job I have ever had. The day to day challenges are exciting and I enjoy using my ideas to promote an already positive work environment. I strive for excellence and it is appreciated daily.

Cons

Sometimes the hours can be long, but that is to be expected in this line of work. It never seems overwhelming because I am appreciated for the time and efforts.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging staff such as myself to work hard, stay positive and strive for excellence. We enjoy the work and the accolades.

8. "Banquet Server"

Current Employee - Banquet Server in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

No drug test, they really don't offer any pros other than that as a banquet server you might be able to be a felon and work there. Banquet servers aren't drug tested and are interviewed in a group setting with pathetic easy questions.

Cons

Low pay $10 an hour and you can't accept tips, I could make more money serving at apple bees. They also nickel and dime you! They charge you $7 for an ugly ill fitting Tshirt that you must wear to set up and take down events. In addition right before the dinner service starts or guest arrive you are expected to change into a shirt that they charge you $1.50 for cleaning every time you wear it. When it comes to training they don't pay you until you have 100 hours completed, is this illegal? Employees arent even given a meal when they are working an event? Are 20+ employees expected to bring lunch boxes to a wedding they are working? any left over food is taken off site and donated to food pantries instead of feeding the employees?

Advice to Management

Get a grip! Treat your employees with some dignity and don't charge them for industry standard basic uniforms. If you want motivated outgoing staff with low turnover, pay your employees better and let them accept tips. It's totally inappropriate to refuse and I mean absolutely refuse to decline a tip or even a tip from the party being served. If they want to tip all of the servers they should be allowed to. The very least the company could do is ensure all of their employees get free uniforms, tips, better wages, and a hot meal for working a dinner event hour 6 hour shift late into the night every weekend they are expected to work.

"I worked at one of the restaurants catering st.louis owned for many years in different positions"

Pros

-the people. I made many lasting friendships
    -relaxed working environment, if you do your job (which is never overly demanding, busy in the summer but everyone makes more money) you won't have any problems

Cons

-new rules would be "implemented" about every 6 months when upper management (who come around whenever they want/their office is at catering st.louis- not restaurants, so you don't see them much) decided they wanted to make new rules. They never lasted and within weeks everyone would be back to their old ways and restaurant managers were never strict on us to follow them.

"Fear and loathing in St. Louis"

Pros

The word pro indicates a positive. Nothing of the sort exists in this environment. Your peers, the core group of employees that you work with everyday become the only thing that keeps you walking in the door. And should the top level executives come to realize that there might be the slightest bit of joy in your day they will work to destroy any friendships that exist.

Cons

You will be yelled at
    You will be emotionally abused
    You will not be good enough
    You will forever chase the "why" did this or that happen.
    You will have a negative spirit overtake you
    You will be taken advantage of
    You will have to spend your own money to get the job done
    You will have to work off the clock
    You will work more than you don't and no one will care
    You will not be thanked but rather told that you are lucky you have a job

Advice to Management

They do not want advice, they do not care what anyone but themselves have to say. If you would just sit quietly and allow those that enjoy hearing themselves talk continue tell each other how right they are there is a future for you. But there truly is nothing new under the sun.