Caterpillar Reviews in Champaign, IL | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Champaign Reviews

Updated May 7, 2019

Found 14 reviews

4.5
Caterpillar CEO Jim Umpleby (no image)
Jim Umpleby

"Great place to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, innovative colleagues, nice and smart people around, good pay

Cons

good for people with family because midwest is slow and relaxed in life-style, but not so good for young people

Caterpillar2019-05-07

Caterpillar Response

May 24, 2019Caterpillar

At Caterpillar, we work each day to provide a rewarding environment and experience for our teammates. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on how we do just that!

2. "Innovative work"

Former Intern - Intern in Champaign, IL

I worked at Caterpillar for less than a year

Pros

Challenging work, good work-life balance, rewarding culture, happy hours

Cons

Should hire more international students

Caterpillar2019-01-19
  3. "Mechanical Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar

Pros

Working environment is fine and workload is not heavy

Cons

Facility in Champaign is quite small

Caterpillar2018-01-24

"Caterpillar Research Park Intern, Urbana-Champaign, IL"

Data Analyst Intern in Champaign, IL

I worked at Caterpillar for more than a year

Pros

Great career development programs Great benifits

Cons

Hard to push new projects and ideas to production through corporate pipeline

Caterpillar2017-09-13

"Data Science and Analytics. Champaign, IL."

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Champaign, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will get to work on a variety of work. The office leadership at the Champaign Simulation Center is good to work with. They seem to be on top of things and know their employees. You will be given ownership of a project and you make your own decisions. Champaign-Urbana is a great place to live and raise a family. Has an open office culture and people are pretty friendly with one another. Opportunities... for mentoring younger workers. Also can receive mentorship from more experienced workers. You can probably make an adequate paycheck. If living in a calm, family-oriented area is important to you, this would not be a horrible place to work. Understand though that it will take you your entire career to *possibly* make a healthy paycheck. The Champaign Simulation Center is a good place to work. I have a positive outlook for it. The company as a whole is wandering right now. Very cyclic. But the CSC is a decent place of employment. This is where it's at. At least in my case, I would burn out really quickly if I had to work in Peoria. You would be one of 100,000 small cogs in the dimly lit cubicle machine.

Cons

Heavy bureaucracy. Structure of the upper leadership of the company is very bloated and superfluous. It was impossible to keep track of who all of the supervisors were. It was not entirely clear what half of them even did. They were just "chief directing supervisor of supervising the undersecretary to the assistant manager of analytics." EVERYTHING had an acronym, and the acronyms changed every month. Main hub... of the company seems to be a swiftly tilting ship. Absolutely no stability. I think I worked for three different divisions in the course of three or so months. "Diversity" was valued over competence. I come from a pretty diverse family (father born in Polynesia, have black, Japanese, Filipino, Cherokee relatives). I have lived in a number of places in the US and Asia. I would consider myself somewhat liberal in social matters. But I still expect higher leadership to actually know what is going on, not just be a good face to look at. I'm not sure I saw that here. Very little motivation to work for the cause of the company as a whole. You have a 50-50 chance of being laid off no matter what happens, so it's not like the employees actually feel Caterpillar has their back. Pay is not amazing. It's okay. You will not be poor. But you will have to value location over paycheck. I know of a good number of people who leave Caterpillar just because the pay does not overcome the deep bureaucracy and tumultuous position of the company. When I can walk away and earn $25k more in a similar real estate market, it takes a lot of loyalty to a group of nameless CEO/Vice Presidents in order for me to stay. Highly educated people in the tech industry rarely are that desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

Fewer acronyms. Pay grade for computer science and statistics people is too low. Someone with a PhD in computer science and no need for visa sponsorship is probably not going to work for $80k a year. Leadership is bland and uncompelling. Never felt inspired to work hard for the cause. I honestly was not even sure what the "cause" was. No one gives a hoot about business jargon filled goals. Give me a real cause to... work for, not just the CEO's pocketbook.

Caterpillar2017-08-02
  6. "Software engineer"

Software Engineer in Champaign, IL

I worked at Caterpillar for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues are very friendly, they patiently guide and explain, let me quickly into the role. HR is very kind and easy to communicate. After all, is a large enterprise.

Cons

It seems that international students are very few. Internship salary is not high, not enough emphasis on software engineers than those of technology companies.

Caterpillar2016-09-17
  7. "Great"

Engineering Student Practicum in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, cool and interesting equipment, very broad scope with tons of different job opportunities across the globe

Cons

Big company, not a lot of freedom and a lot of bureaucracy. Also cyclical business is scary sometimes

Advice to Management

Make sure to be connected with the interns and try to talk and interact with them as much as possible

Caterpillar2016-09-08
  8. "Awesome place to work at!"

Current Intern - Practicum Student in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar for less than a year

Pros

- Everyone is super nice and caring. - You get to choose the project.

Cons

- Sometimes, open-ended so there can be little guidance.

Caterpillar2015-12-10
  9. "Good company, flexible working hours"

College Practicum in Champaign, IL

I worked at Caterpillar for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, flexible working hours for intern, opportunities in real project

Cons

Not very efficient in work distribution, sometimes a lot of redundant work

Caterpillar2015-11-03
  10. "Great experience. Extremely progressive environment."

Current Employee - Student Consultant in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and co-workers Very flexible for scheduling Pay is very good due to the unions, everyone gets paid similarly which really helps morale

Cons

Lots of reorganization going on Try to make sure you are ahead of the game and adding value to the company because it is a progressive big company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and working with the students as much as you can.

Caterpillar2015-09-28