Caterpillar Reviews in Illinois | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Caterpillar"

Former Freelancer - Machinist in Joliet, IL
    Former Freelancer - Machinist in Joliet, IL

Pros

Great pay, and treated us well.

Cons

Working 12 hr. Shifts 7 days was a bit tiring.

2. "Senior Sales Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is as big corporation and great company that is starting to change for better.

Cons

Bureaucracy, mediocrity, middle management problem, career growth nor based in merits but relations

3. "Black Belt"

Former Employee - 6 Sigma Black Belt in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - 6 Sigma Black Belt in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Industry leader with lots of resources and certain job roles be able to travel globally. International assignments still available but very difficult to get compared to what it was before. Lots of advancement opportunities during the upturn. Cool products and strong brand value.

Cons

Cyclical business and the company is not afraid of cutting back during the downturn which drives lot of good talents away voluntarily and involuntarily. Advancement can be slow even for high performers if becoming too important to the current job role. It's not a place where you will be surrounded by lots of talented people. Middle management seemed weaker compared to other global company of its size or bigger. Mid and Senior Management relies heavily on outside consultants to get thing done and/or tell them what to do which can be frustrating sometimes.

Advice to Management

The overall talent pool in the Peoria area especially the Middle management level is not very strong compared to other companies similar size or even smaller in the major metropolitan areas. It's harder to attract and retain the top talents who are willing to move to Peoria if they are not already in or from the area. Should further expand the corporate office and move even more business units to Deerfield where the location itself will attract more talents let alone the company brand name.

"Data Science and Analytics. Champaign, IL."

Former Employee - Data Scientist in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in Champaign, IL

I worked at Caterpillar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will get to work on a variety of work. The office leadership at the Champaign Simulation Center is good to work with. They seem to be on top of things and know their employees. You will be given ownership of a project and you make your own decisions.

Champaign-Urbana is a great place to live and raise a family.

Has an open office culture and people are pretty friendly with one another.

Opportunities for mentoring younger workers. Also can receive mentorship from more experienced workers.

You can probably make an adequate paycheck. If living in a calm, family-oriented area is important to you, this would not be a horrible place to work. Understand though that it will take you your entire career to *possibly* make a healthy paycheck.

The Champaign Simulation Center is a good place to work. I have a positive outlook for it. The company as a whole is wandering right now. Very cyclic. But the CSC is a decent place of employment. This is where it's at. At least in my case, I would burn out really quickly if I had to work in Peoria. You would be one of 100,000 small cogs in the dimly lit cubicle machine.

Cons

Heavy bureaucracy. Structure of the upper leadership of the company is very bloated and superfluous. It was impossible to keep track of who all of the supervisors were. It was not entirely clear what half of them even did. They were just "chief directing supervisor of supervising the undersecretary to the assistant manager of analytics."

EVERYTHING had an acronym, and the acronyms changed every month. Main hub of the company seems to be a swiftly tilting ship. Absolutely no stability. I think I worked for three different divisions in the course of three or so months.

"Diversity" was valued over competence. I come from a pretty diverse family (father born in Polynesia, have black, Japanese, Filipino, Cherokee relatives). I have lived in a number of places in the US and Asia. I would consider myself somewhat liberal in social matters. But I still expect higher leadership to actually know what is going on, not just be a good face to look at. I'm not sure I saw that here.

Very little motivation to work for the cause of the company as a whole. You have a 50-50 chance of being laid off no matter what happens, so it's not like the employees actually feel Caterpillar has their back.

Pay is not amazing. It's okay. You will not be poor. But you will have to value location over paycheck. I know of a good number of people who leave Caterpillar just because the pay does not overcome the deep bureaucracy and tumultuous position of the company. When I can walk away and earn $25k more in a similar real estate market, it takes a lot of loyalty to a group of nameless CEO/Vice Presidents in order for me to stay. Highly educated people in the tech industry rarely are that desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

Fewer acronyms. Pay grade for computer science and statistics people is too low. Someone with a PhD in computer science and no need for visa sponsorship is probably not going to work for $80k a year. Leadership is bland and uncompelling. Never felt inspired to work hard for the cause. I honestly was not even sure what the "cause" was. No one gives a hoot about business jargon filled goals. Give me a real cause to work for, not just the CEO's pocketbook.

5. "Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Mossville, IL
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Mossville, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience and good company to work for

Cons

Lack of confidence in company and job secuirity

6. "Internhsip Review"

Former Intern - Corporate Intern in East Peoria, IL
    Former Intern - Corporate Intern in East Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great benefits, great people great experience

Cons

didn't have assignment until close to arrival, not sure of what to expect

Advice to Management

give interns more notice to where assignment is

7. "Internal Product Quality Engineer"

Current Employee - Internal Product Quality Engineer in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Product Quality Engineer in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with a diverse group of people across all levels to ensure a quality product and a quality process

Cons

Little room for advancement and developement

Advice to Management

Tapping into the experiences workforce to gain practical knowledge about the product and state of current affairs in your process is a tool that should be utilized

8. "Design Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Design Engineer Intern in Peoria, IL
    Former Intern - Design Engineer Intern in Peoria, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic work group with flexible hours. Had real projects that contributed to the team. Challenging work environment, but everyone is willing to help if you just ask.

Cons

Things can move pretty slowly as a designer. It took an excessively long time for me to get my workstation since there were so many hoops to jump through.

Advice to Management

I think the management did great while I was here. They give everyone the freedom to do the work, but they are there to support you and explain the vision that our group carries.

9. "Caterpillar Corporate Engineering Intern Review"

Current Intern - Engineering Corporate in Mossville, IL
    Current Intern - Engineering Corporate in Mossville, IL

I have been working at Caterpillar as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

If you show you are a valuable asset, they will treat you as one

Cons

You must prove your competence before they give you important projects to work on

Advice to Management

Take more risks on interns, throw them on a team that is working on challenging projects and see if they can handle it

10. "Design Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Mossville, IL
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Mossville, IL

I worked at Caterpillar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They really cared about finding the right job for me, and there were plenty of opportunities for me to learn new programs and develop skills. There definitely was a sense of family and community. The compensation even as a corporate intern was also really nice.

Cons

It can sometimes get pretty disorganized in such a large company. Divisions each have their own way of organizing information. It's more of a traditional workplace, so don't expect sleeping pods or anything that Silicon Valley is doing. Most employees seem to either really love working at CAT, or are trying to find other jobs.

Advice to Management

I'd spend more time working on the learning center, because when I had some free and was looking for additional things to learn, it was hard navigating CLMS and trying to find classes or online courses that were relevant to what I wanted to learn. There seemed to be a larger emphasis on soft skills rather than technical skills.

Showing 1,061 of 2,847 reviews