Caterpillar Reviews | Glassdoor

Caterpillar Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Some managers have no idea of the definition of work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Lack of communication from upper management (in 83 reviews)

1. "Great company for the right person"

Former Employee - IT Analyst I in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - IT Analyst I in Peoria, IL

Pros

great company excellent benefits a lot of money for little work

Cons

Good old boy network. Hard for new comers to adjust and move up.

Advice to Management

overall...ok job

2. "It is good work if you can get it."

Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Lead in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Engineering Project Team Lead in Clayton, NC

Pros

Lots of opportunity all over the world. You can live in many locations and even see remote parts of the world visiting customers. Pay is fair and the bonus system is very lucrative.

Cons

Lots of internal red tape. Several processes are outdated or too complicated. IT can sometimes get in the way of getting work done. There are alot of people that have to process every change to make sure the customers get what the need.

Advice to Management

protect the lower salary people, not just upper management. Cat seems to be very top heavy.

"Caterpillar - not much different from other large corporations"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Representative in Peoria, IL

Pros

The pay and benefits are among the best in the area. Producing a product that is recognized in almost any part of the world is rewarding. Being a large company, it can offer its employees the opportunity of a variety of job opportunities while staying with the same employer.

Cons

In many ways, the company is still trapped in the 1950's. Promotions are often given to the connected rather then the qualified. Underperformers are not pushed to improve, due to the company's fear of legal retaliation. Topnotch employees are 'punished' by being asked to do additional work to compensate for work not being done by their underperforming co-workers, while the underperformer is allowed to continue to perform at an unacceptable level without fear of reprimand.

Many middle managers are promoted past their level of competence, but because they've been with tthe company for many years, or have highly placed friends, the situation is never addressed.

Advice to Management

Reward employees who are doing well, and address employees that are not performing up to expectations.

5. "Cat Power"

Former Employee - Engineer in Peoria, IL

Pros

Benefits are great. Work/life balance reasonable.

Cons

Cat is a very conservative slow moving company.

Advice to Management

None.

"Good leader & excellent national exposure."

Current Employee - Tax Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in Peoria, IL

Pros

Competitive pay. Reasonable cost of living in Peoria area. In general people are not too stuck on themselves and have 'small town Midwest' attitudes.

Cons

They are so stuck on everyone worshipping seniority and begin from Peoria and having 3 generations of family that has worked there. As a mid-career hire I found the company very unwelcoming. they do not respect outside experience or viewpoints. The people are nice, but the system they have created is a joke.

Advice to Management

Train mid-level management to understand that the staus quo does not equal prosperity. New ways of doing things is the only way to remain at the head of the pack.

7. "Get on track with the one who invented them!"

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Sanford, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Sanford, NC

Pros

The ability to create the biggest toys on earth. When you find yourself in all places of the world and see that Caterpillar Tractor creating something of value to someone else, it brings great pride. It's also fun to be able to drive them around.

Cons

You can become one of many is a sea of people. With so many people that work for this company, it can be difficult to be recognized for contributions.

Advice to Management

Don't forget the people that make the place run. Yes, shareholders are important but if it wasn't for the employees, the shareholders would have nothing of value.

8. "Caterpillar Review"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Peoria, IL

Pros

Great advancement opportunities. Great health benefits. My boss is very flexible when it comes to getting days off. I can take off more than my two weeks if need be. I can also leave a little early as long as I am getting my work completed. Great team work.

Cons

Seems like half of the company is contract. As we are now in our downturn, it seems like most of the contract workers have been let go. We won't get a merit raise next year as well as a bonus. So now we have tons more work to do without being incentive to do more work. But at the same time, you still have a job.

Advice to Management

My boss is great and I would let him know that he should never leave his job because he is great at it.

"Overall a pretty good company"

Current Employee - IS Specialist in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - IS Specialist in Peoria, IL

Pros

Salary, Cost of Living (Peoria area), some really smart people (and some not so smart people), career advancement opportunities are good, especially if you have the opportunity to be an ISE, ability to travel, executive management seems to be very good (last few years have shown tremendous growth),

Cons

Too formal / professional. Inability of management to reprimand (lay off) poorly performing management employees.

Advice to Management

Loosen up. Take off the tie. Reprimand, demote, and / or lay off poorly performing management employees (including managers).

10. "good place to work"

Current Employee - Advanced Purchasing Analyst in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Advanced Purchasing Analyst in Peoria, IL

Pros

good company, lots of opportunity

Cons

big company, lots of red tape

good

"Good Company!!"

Former Employee - Engineer in Peoria, IL

Pros

Well this was a good place to work I enjoyed it. The pay was good and the environment was friendly. I was let go due to the current economic situation. I would like to go back if things turn around. Overall I would say that this is a great company!

Cons

Peoria is not a great place to live. Well being let go was a huge downfall. I guess that I feel that more planing could have been done to save jobs. Overall I don't have to many complaints about working at caterpillar and would definitely accept a job again if I was offered.

Advice to Management

Try to get people back to work