Cath Kidston Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cath Kidston CEO Kenny Wilson
Kenny Wilson

1. "Great company, bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Cath Kidston (More than a year)

Pros

Good discount (50%), great products, flexible even for students

Cons

Managers that make you cry on the shop floor, insensitive management, bullying environment

Advice to Management

Don't make hard working employees cry!

Sep 2, 2015 – Human Resources Director

Our aim is to provide a great experience for every member of our team. We believe we are a friendly, informal team and a supportive employer. Sometimes things can go wrong and when they do, we’ll ... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Cath Kidston part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and laid back atmosphere
    Staff are really friendly and willing to help new starters
    Customers are nice
    Products are great
    Great staff discount

Cons

Very Small contracts , most staff are on 4-8 hour contracts and no overtime except on lead up to Xmas

3. "Datacapture"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cath Kidston full-time

Pros

Friendly staff and discount. You are able to learn about products

Cons

Management is joke. They threaten you all the time even without any reason and force people out who they don't like. They also favour people depending on their ethnic background. Favouring happens lot and they like to put responsibility on one or two people on team. They give discount to buy clothes but also force you to do so. Shop Manager will ask you personally why you haven't bought latest fashion and pressures you to buy it, everyone needs to wear new all the time. She also will complain in front of everyone how you look and demands you wearing lipstick.
    CK loves to do datacapture and they keep score on everyones record and embarrass you if you are not doing good. Pressure is very high and people keep walking out.
    Also, ever changing rota was horrible. They keep changing it without asking you and making you work overtime.

Advice to Management

Stop making your staff cry!! Threatening is not an answer!

"A Nest of Vipers"

Former Employee - Senior Sales
    Former Employee - Senior Sales

I worked at Cath Kidston full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount. Literally. That's it.
    A few gems in the part time sales team who know the brand and how to work hard with very few complaints- especially with what they put up with.

Cons

Where do I start.
    Being an area retail manager previous to working at Cath Kidston I felt that I would be entering into something a little calmer and controlled and comforting. Nothing of the sort.
    In my time in the company, only two months, I have seen 4 people leave, with a handful of others due to resign in the next couple of months. Hardly surprising given the running and attitudes of management at store level.

-Verbal bullying from my trainer from a different store...not even the store manager of the store I was working at. She had zero personable skills, or an ability to train efficiently without speaking down to me like a child. I'll reiterate, I have managerial experience, so that wasn't taken kindly at all.

-You do not shout at someone across the room continuously when there are other members of staff and members of the public present. Especially sarcastically like I am a little misbehaving child always in the wrong place. Then the next minute laughing and joking with other member of staff behind the counter, neglecting her own duties and drawing other staff members away from their duties. God forbid I could move without having done something wrong. Appalling. I am a mid twenties woman with a lot of experience under my belt. I was being trained as senior sales management, a little lower than my remit but I am there to learn the skills for this specific company so I know I had a lot to learn, I don't need to be talked to like something you stood in. I made a formal complaint to my store manager when I eventually met her. A recorded discussion took place with a note taker....and then nothing more was made of it. That is unacceptable.

-The actual manager was equally as appalling for different reasons. She would change the rota without verbally informing staff, turn up late to store so that it wasn't open and not even apologise or say why, ignore the fact that there is someone stealing in store until over a MONTH after the incidences...which is still on going..... and ignore the infestation (yes I mean rats) in the store and the leaking sewer pipes all located in the basement where the stock is!

-She gave me a 1-2-1 interview that wasn't 1-2-1.....she brought in the assistant manager. She then proceeded to tell me that she was 'concerned about my management skills.' Everything in the ten minutes she went on to say were negative. Not a single positive thing- this isn't feedback. Yes there is always room for improvement, but not everything can be awful to the extent she pushed!
    When you are someone that has worked since the age of 13, had experience HIGHER than her in AREA RETAIL MANAGEMENT, then you at least know how to conduct a 1-2-1 progress interview.
    I had done nothing but bend over backwards to do exactly what she wanted, yet when she highlighted things that I needed her APPROVAL to roll out that she had ignored, that was still my fault. I hit all KPI targets for weekly sales targets, finished every task set and looked for more. Single handedly improved the abysmal DC results...some as low as 2% to 85%, improved the general team morale with quizzes and games designed to test the staff on patterns and new SS17 styles and yet I'm a 'cause for concern.'
    Not only did this 'non' 1-2-1 make the assistant manager feel awfully uncomfortable, and I felt uncomfortable for her as it's not fair to be in the middle of two people, it was against regulations of a 1-2-1!This is a cause for concern more like!

I am currently constructing an email to hand in yet another formal complaint of my time at this establishment, but I don't expect much to come from it, hence writing this for others considering a career to stay away.

In the end it is a shame that a brand such as Cath Kidston can harbour such 'difficult' individuals that are higher up than those I have met lower down the scale who are being trampled on and end up leaving. It's simply not good enough.

Advice to Management

Area retail management need to be on the ground more. Aren't you concerned at the high turn over of staff?

6. "Sales assistant"

I worked at Cath Kidston part-time

Pros

50% discount
    Friendly staff (except manager)
    Good pay

Cons

Rude manager
    Poor training
    Management are always disorganised and frantically running around
    Always complain about something
    Stressful work environment

Advice to Management

train staff properly and be more organised

7. "The worst experience of my life - very discriminating"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Cath Kidston full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None - This was one of the worst experiences of my working careers.

Cons

Discriminating
    HR did not resolve anything
    Not a pleasant environment
    Very controlling
    Pressured into working ridiculous hours

Advice to Management

Develop an open mind

Jan 30, 2017 – Retail HR Business Partner

I'm really sorry to hear you've had such an unpleasant experience at Cath Kidston. If you'd like to contact the HR team then please give us a call on the number on display in any store, alternatively ... More

8. "Amazing First Job!"

Pros

- Great team
    - Lots of people ready to help you learn
    - Staff discount is great
    - Management are friendly and helpful
    - Understanding towards your timings

Cons

- No commission
    - Forcing customers to join the mailing list can cause issues sometimes
    - Buying your own uniform

Oct 31, 2016 – Human Resources Director

We're really glad you are enjoying your experience at Cath Kidston and you are finding it a great place to learn. It's true that getting taking customer data can be tricky but we know people love ... More

9. "THE WORST"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

50 % discount
    great team members

Cons

terrible management
    when comes to HR have no idea why they even egoist, no use from them at all

Advice to Management

Knowledge is power instead of gossiping and lying focus on work and ally learning stuff.

Oct 31, 2016 – Human Resources Director

I'm sorry it sounds like you've had a very difficult experience at Cath Kidston. If you'd like to contact the HR team then please give us a call on the number on display in any store. We are often ... More

10. "sales associate"

Pros

good place ,great staff discount ,flexible time ,good location, great music

Cons

i think they offer not enough hour for part time sales.

Nov 2, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thanks for your feedback, I'm really pleased to hear that you are enjoying your time with Cath Kidston. I'm sorry to hear you aren't being offered enough hours - perhaps you could talk to your line ... More

11. "Cath Kidston Review"

Pros

Customers are really friendly, team is kind and you get a discount on the products after being employed for a month

Cons

Not many really, I can't think of any right now

Sep 29, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thanks so much for your review, I'm delighted you are enjoying your time at Cath Kidston.