Cathay General Bancorp Reviews in El Monte, CA | Glassdoor

El Monte, CA

2.8
Dunson K. Cheng

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Staff willing to help and teach if you're willing to learn (in 3 reviews)

• Learn a lot, nice people and work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, 15-20K below market and you are over worked (in 7 reviews)

• Little to no opportunity for career advancement (in 3 reviews)

1. "Low stress but low pay and little opportunity for growth"

Former Employee - Credit Analysis Officer in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Credit Analysis Officer in El Monte, CA

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance.
    Lot of free time.

Cons

Low pay.
    Very Chinese, hard to integrate for foreigners.

2. "Amazing people"

Former Employee - Loan Analyst in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Analyst in El Monte, CA

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, growing experience, plenty of parking, close to home, good working relationships with boss, company culture was like a big family

Cons

The pay was generally low and there is little room for growth. Human Resources controls and limits pay which doesn't give managers a lot of leverage.

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with hourly schedule, health benefits & great interaction & motivation for a healthy life style. The CEO & other high officials are always so nice when you see them in the corporate building.

Cons

For the most part it's a friendly environment, but, that's just in my department because the same can't be said for all other employees at the Flair corporate building. I always put my happy face on, get my job done & I am nice to everyone whom I come in contact with but some of the employees you might run into on your same floor, in the lobby or the lunch room have a bad attitude & seem to discriminate you if you're not Chinese. It's kind of annoying when they suddenly start speaking Chinese amongst each other when not a second ago they were in full on English conversation, why do they suddenly switch to Chinese then look at you funny? Hmm? I wonder. On another note, the pay sucks! They start you off low and you think maybe as I show them my work ethic & job related abilities I will get a good raise! But no it never happens and after a few years of being there and having more experience in your job title you still don't get to paid as much as other people with your same job title. Also, they're are severely understaffed, which means the current employees are overworked, overwhelmed & stressed out! One more thing, it's annoying that they don't pay you for a holiday if you call in sick on the business day prior or the business day after the holiday. Really???? If I get the runs and don't want to go to work because I don't want to crap myself at work, I have to get in my car drive to my doctors office, pay a $15 co pay and tell my doctor I have the runs so she can prescribe me lots of fluids & rest, give me a work note so that my job's HR can really believe that I wasn't feeling good because my word is not gods enough. Thank you Cathay Bank for telling me when I can & cannot be sick.

Advice to Management

Professional training for your employees would be nice. I definitely feel like I could have had better training & assistance to perform my job much more efficiently & correct from the get go. Sink or swim should not be protocol for a bank. Better competitive pay, hire more employees, acknowledgement of work dedication and better attitudes from Chinese speaking employees towards non-Chinese speakers should be somethings to seriously think about. Those are the reasons why I am actively seeking a new job, it's become to much too deal with. After years of being here I only feel it's gotten worse. Happy employees produce great work, I am no longer happy & feel that if I keep working at Cathay Bank my work will be mediocre and it's not fair to me, a person who prides themselves on a great work ethic, nor is it fair to the bank that is striving to have bigger impact in the world of banking.

4. "Opportunies"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Working at the corporate center has been rewarding; I get to talk to employees from other departments and figure out what career path I want to pursuit.

Cons

Being a Chinese bank means they can be frugal sometimes. Try to focus on learning and get experience.

"This place sucks"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Never having to work overtime

Cons

less than market pay and benefits, controlling/micromanagement culture, many positions are hourly rather than salary, huge language barrier if you are not Chinese, raises are crap, management is greedy

Advice to Management

Executive management only looks at the bottom line and only values those departments and employees who bring money in. Hard work is not rewarded unless your job brings money to the bank. Everyone looks unhappy and bitter. There is no cooperation between departments. People are rude and will tell you one thing and do something completely different.

"temporary and contractors views"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in El Monte, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty to do and learn. Employees qualify for benefits and able to participate in all events and programs. Many 20+ year employees with the company. Best to know Mandarin or Cantonese.

Cons

If not perm employee, there's a good chance you will feel left out. Temp/contractor to employee is difficult to have approved. Those that has worked here for few years are not willing to change for better efficiency.

"Welcoming environment with great team working departments"

Current Employee - Loan Assistant in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Assistant in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is willing to help out and is very accommodating. Excellent starting benefits and very knowledgeable upper management. Most departments have team members whom you can rely on casually hang out with. Not a very cutthroat environment. Very high Asian to non-Asian ratio, however, management has begun branching out to diversify.

Cons

The ability to move up is primarily reliant on seniority. You could be extremely knowledgeable and efficient in your work, but someone who has been with the company longer will be promoted quicker. Starting pay is mediocre at best. Most managers are very stringent on working overtime and will try to sway non-exempt employees from contributing too much (if any) OT.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention and spend more time on annual evaluations and determine promotions, raises, and bonuses based on performance. A standard bonus and a standard raise across the board does not compensate those who work extremely hard vs those who do the bare minimum to get by.

"Cathay Bank"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Great Culture and great office (if you work at the headquarter in El Monte).
    Good place to work if you are a Chinese speaker.

Cons

Seniority tend to be overvalued. Top performers are not recognized and rewarded soon enough.
    Employee evaluations are often expedited by busy supervisors and are not accurate.
    Because of its aging community, coworkers are usually not open to change. Most of us still have office 2003 installed on our desktop. Training is unorganized but satisfactory.

"Good people, needs management training"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The bank provides a nice worklife balance, and I genuinely liked the people that I worked with. A lot of them are motivated, sharp, and down to earth.

Cons

Conflict management is an issue and it makes it difficult to get things done. Middle management and tenured employees will often say what yo uwant to hear but stick with the status quo. There needs to be more healthy conflict to spur change.

Advice to Management

Management needs to have more of a presence and lend its weight to important issues. Stand behind some causes and be more visible.

"Stay away."

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in El Monte, CA

Pros

Some people are very smart. Over all a good asian bank.

Cons

Low pay and no appreciation from management.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people. Seniority means nothing .