Cathay General Bancorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 8, 2016

Current Employees

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dunson K. Cheng

1. "Wire Transfer Operator"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Great people in the department. Staff willing to help and teach if you're willing to learn. Great place to start once you are out of college.

Cons

Sometimes the work comes in late from branches so it pushes lunch times. Have to be willing to sacrifice going to lunch on time to make sure work is completed before deadline time.

Advice to Management

Hard for promotion unless you work really really hard. Hire younger people and keep them--at least give them a shot of being a permanent employee. Their work ethics and speed is more accurate and reliable.

2. "commercial Loan"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people and good environment, you always get the family feeling by working here no matter how hard the assignment is.

Cons

tight deadlines, to expect to put in more time than usual to get the work done but worth it because you learn more and more.

3. "Teller"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in San Gabriel, CA
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in San Gabriel, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There has comfortable working place and friendly co-workers.

Cons

The salary is almost minimum wage.

5. "Loan assistant"

Current Employee - Commercial Loan Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Commercial Loan Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime paid, great team structure, nice people around the branch

Cons

Base salary less than the average, long working hours, no room to promote

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with hourly schedule, health benefits & great interaction & motivation for a healthy life style. The CEO & other high officials are always so nice when you see them in the corporate building.

Cons

For the most part it's a friendly environment, but, that's just in my department because the same can't be said for all other employees at the Flair corporate building. I always put my happy face on, get my job done & I am nice to everyone whom I come in contact with but some of the employees you might run into on your same floor, in the lobby or the lunch room have a bad attitude & seem to discriminate you if you're not Chinese. It's kind of annoying when they suddenly start speaking Chinese amongst each other when not a second ago they were in full on English conversation, why do they suddenly switch to Chinese then look at you funny? Hmm? I wonder. On another note, the pay sucks! They start you off low and you think maybe as I show them my work ethic & job related abilities I will get a good raise! But no it never happens and after a few years of being there and having more experience in your job title you still don't get to paid as much as other people with your same job title. Also, they're are severely understaffed, which means the current employees are overworked, overwhelmed & stressed out! One more thing, it's annoying that they don't pay you for a holiday if you call in sick on the business day prior or the business day after the holiday. Really???? If I get the runs and don't want to go to work because I don't want to crap myself at work, I have to get in my car drive to my doctors office, pay a $15 co pay and tell my doctor I have the runs so she can prescribe me lots of fluids & rest, give me a work note so that my job's HR can really believe that I wasn't feeling good because my word is not gods enough. Thank you Cathay Bank for telling me when I can & cannot be sick.

Advice to Management

Professional training for your employees would be nice. I definitely feel like I could have had better training & assistance to perform my job much more efficiently & correct from the get go. Sink or swim should not be protocol for a bank. Better competitive pay, hire more employees, acknowledgement of work dedication and better attitudes from Chinese speaking employees towards non-Chinese speakers should be somethings to seriously think about. Those are the reasons why I am actively seeking a new job, it's become to much too deal with. After years of being here I only feel it's gotten worse. Happy employees produce great work, I am no longer happy & feel that if I keep working at Cathay Bank my work will be mediocre and it's not fair to me, a person who prides themselves on a great work ethic, nor is it fair to the bank that is striving to have bigger impact in the world of banking.

7. "Opportunies"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Working at the corporate center has been rewarding; I get to talk to employees from other departments and figure out what career path I want to pursuit.

Cons

Being a Chinese bank means they can be frugal sometimes. Try to focus on learning and get experience.

8. "N/A"

Current Employee - Loan Assistant in Walnut, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Assistant in Walnut, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of learning opportunity and training from coworkers.

Cons

Low upward mobility as the some of the workers (Chinese mothers) have been with the bank for 10+ years. Low pay

Advice to Management

Stop being so stingy and increase the average hourly salary pay

"This place sucks"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Never having to work overtime

Cons

less than market pay and benefits, controlling/micromanagement culture, many positions are hourly rather than salary, huge language barrier if you are not Chinese, raises are crap, management is greedy

Advice to Management

Executive management only looks at the bottom line and only values those departments and employees who bring money in. Hard work is not rewarded unless your job brings money to the bank. Everyone looks unhappy and bitter. There is no cooperation between departments. People are rude and will tell you one thing and do something completely different.

"Portfolio Manager"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some dedicated employees, and an interesting tradition for Chinese new year

Cons

Disorganized organization, difficult to change, the entire organization focus on your title instead of real contribution, lack of opportunity for growth if you are fast pace; lack of understanding who is making contributions and who is not.

Advice to Management

Invest in IT, HR, and your personnel. Please evaluate the pro and cons before implementing any company-wide project. Hold person responsible (reward and penalty) for tangible performance.

"temporary and contractors views"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in El Monte, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty to do and learn. Employees qualify for benefits and able to participate in all events and programs. Many 20+ year employees with the company. Best to know Mandarin or Cantonese.

Cons

If not perm employee, there's a good chance you will feel left out. Temp/contractor to employee is difficult to have approved. Those that has worked here for few years are not willing to change for better efficiency.