Cathay General Bancorp Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 4, 2017

2.0
Dunson K. Cheng

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Staff willing to help and teach if you're willing to learn (in 3 reviews)

• Learn a lot, nice people and work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, 15-20K below market and you are over worked (in 7 reviews)

• tight deadlines, to expect to put in more time than usual to get the work done but worth it because you learn more and more (in 3 reviews)

1. "Teller"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Pros

Slow, and you get to learn from different roles.

Cons

Minimum wage and the bad management.

Advice to Management

Don't hire old ladies.

"Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility with hourly schedule, health benefits & great interaction & motivation for a healthy life style. The CEO & other high officials are always so nice when you see them in the corporate building.

Cons

For the most part it's a friendly environment, but, that's just in my department because the same can't be said for all other employees at the Flair corporate building. I always put my happy face on, get my job done & I am nice to everyone whom I come in contact with but some of the employees you might run into on your same floor, in the lobby or the lunch room have a bad attitude & seem to discriminate you if you're not Chinese. It's kind of annoying when they suddenly start speaking Chinese amongst each other when not a second ago they were in full on English conversation, why do they suddenly switch to Chinese then look at you funny? Hmm? I wonder. On another note, the pay sucks! They start you off low and you think maybe as I show them my work ethic & job related abilities I will get a good raise! But no it never happens and after a few years of being there and having more experience in your job title you still don't get to paid as much as other people with your same job title. Also, they're are severely understaffed, which means the current employees are overworked, overwhelmed & stressed out! One more thing, it's annoying that they don't pay you for a holiday if you call in sick on the business day prior or the business day after the holiday. Really???? If I get the runs and don't want to go to work because I don't want to crap myself at work, I have to get in my car drive to my doctors office, pay a $15 co pay and tell my doctor I have the runs so she can prescribe me lots of fluids & rest, give me a work note so that my job's HR can really believe that I wasn't feeling good because my word is not gods enough. Thank you Cathay Bank for telling me when I can & cannot be sick.

Advice to Management

Professional training for your employees would be nice. I definitely feel like I could have had better training & assistance to perform my job much more efficiently & correct from the get go. Sink or swim should not be protocol for a bank. Better competitive pay, hire more employees, acknowledgement of work dedication and better attitudes from Chinese speaking employees towards non-Chinese speakers should be somethings to seriously think about. Those are the reasons why I am actively seeking a new job, it's become to much too deal with. After years of being here I only feel it's gotten worse. Happy employees produce great work, I am no longer happy & feel that if I keep working at Cathay Bank my work will be mediocre and it's not fair to me, a person who prides themselves on a great work ethic, nor is it fair to the bank that is striving to have bigger impact in the world of banking.

3. "N/A"

Current Employee - Loan Assistant in Walnut, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Assistant in Walnut, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of learning opportunity and training from coworkers.

Cons

Low upward mobility as the some of the workers (Chinese mothers) have been with the bank for 10+ years. Low pay

Advice to Management

Stop being so stingy and increase the average hourly salary pay

"This place sucks"

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Never having to work overtime

Cons

less than market pay and benefits, controlling/micromanagement culture, many positions are hourly rather than salary, huge language barrier if you are not Chinese, raises are crap, management is greedy

Advice to Management

Executive management only looks at the bottom line and only values those departments and employees who bring money in. Hard work is not rewarded unless your job brings money to the bank. Everyone looks unhappy and bitter. There is no cooperation between departments. People are rude and will tell you one thing and do something completely different.

"temporary and contractors views"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in El Monte, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Cathay General Bancorp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty to do and learn. Employees qualify for benefits and able to participate in all events and programs. Many 20+ year employees with the company. Best to know Mandarin or Cantonese.

Cons

If not perm employee, there's a good chance you will feel left out. Temp/contractor to employee is difficult to have approved. Those that has worked here for few years are not willing to change for better efficiency.

"Stay away."

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in El Monte, CA

Pros

Some people are very smart. Over all a good asian bank.

Cons

Low pay and no appreciation from management.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people. Seniority means nothing .

7. "Supporting staff"

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Nice office enviornment (HQ)
    -Don't need overtime
    -401(k) performance is not bad
    -Sick leave/Vacation policy is fair
    -Products/Services are competitive
    -Middle management is easy and good to work with

Cons

-Strong micromanagment culture across the company, from middle to top level
    -Low efficiency and productivity
    -Poor leadership and management style from the top side
    -Limited upward opportunities in general
    -Not a collaborative culture

Advice to Management

Top management needs to learn how to restrain their ego/emotions and make rationale business decisions that would benefit the company in long run

8. "Relationship manager"

Pros

There seemed to be a decent sense of stability

Cons

Unrealistic in terms of credit and risk
    Under pay compared to market
    Staff Over worked
    Lack of flexibility
    Office not centrally located with competitors

Advice to Management

They definitely fall into the stereotype of cheap Asian bank. They under pay their staff compared to market while expecting them to put in more time than at other banks. There is no way for them to retain good talent unless they change this mindset

"Former IT staff member"

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time

Pros

Fast paced and you get to work on some pretty exciting systems

Cons

Very low pay, 15-20K below market and you are over worked. Upper management and Exec level don't seem to care about retaining their talent. I stayed at the same pay for 4 years and left after 19 years. Upon leaving I got a instant 30K more at my new job.

Advice to Management

"To be the best you have to employ the best" what this means is pay your employees

10. "Officer"

I worked at Cathay General Bancorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's what you make of it, must be proactive about promotions and raises

Cons

Senior mgmt provides little company direction, petty grudges between department heads, people can't check their egos