Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Greg Kepferle

"Compassion, Service, and Justice"

Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great mission and core values. Real grass roots work done with communities.

Cons

Budget and staffing cuts are hard for moral.

2. "Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time

Pros

People a great. The staff is committed to their job.

Cons

Low compensation for the staff.

Advice to Management

Understand who makes your "numbers".

3. "Working in Sterile Processing"

Former Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think that a man has some of the better better better benefits since I've been working there been going to Kaiser and it's always a good experience there seems to be an opportunity for growth as well there are many jobs available when working for the county of Santa Clara

Cons

What departments like Sterile Processing they just simply don't pay enough according to the pay scales of other hospitals would you do just as much or in some cases less work the workers seem to be overworked and there's never enough staff to handle the load and they're constantly talking and working on ways to increase the workload to Sterile Processing

Advice to Management

I think management should continue to hire the best people and continue to work on realigning the wages with something that's realistic and work for the Sterile Processing working at Works in Silicon Valley

"Administrator"

Current Employee - Administrative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Bad management lack of communication in all areas stay away from here

Advice to Management

Pay attention

"Great place"

Former Employee - Contact Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Contact Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, professional, motivating, educational, caring

Cons

Not enough money, inconsistent, boring, dull, flat

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

"Disorganized and inconsistent"

Former Employee - Social Worker (Refugee Foster Care) in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Social Worker (Refugee Foster Care) in San Jose, CA

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility in social worker position, a lot of great direct care staff who are hard-working, dedicated, and committed to clients-working overtime, weekends, and after hours

Cons

Management takes everything personally. I felt that management (supervisors and directors) were being deceptive and were untrustworthy. They were very concerned about how the program "would look", without thinking about the staff and their achievements. A lot of lip service about finding ways to improve morale and supporting direct line staff. I felt like supervisors and management did not know what they were doing, it felt very haphazard, even when making very serious decisions. Management was unable to take any responsibility for their actions. I also observed inconsistencies in hiring, stating that certain requirements were mandatory, but ultimately hiring someone who did not meet those requirements, while disqualifying others for not meeting those requirements. I ultimately left this job because of management. I did not find upper management or HR to be helpful.

Advice to Management

Provide support to direct care staff and treat everyone with respect.

"One of the many"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make a difference in someone's life.

Cons

You're not there for the money

Advice to Management

Take care of your people.

"Wonderful company! Challenging work with never ending hours..."

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at CC is lot's of fun! There are good benefits, awesome conversations around how to be leaders in the non-profit world, and plenty staff gatherings. If you want (and actually try) you can easily get to know the entire agency. You quickly learn about the true challenges facing the nonprofit world locally. It's a great way to also network with other agencies doing similar good work.

Cons

This might be good and bad but I've heard staff refer to CCSCC as a training camp for MSW/Case Managers. I've even heard staff say "if you've worked there, you can work anywhere." This being said, there are lots of committed people but it's often a cost. You (and many others) work late hours/long days and often even weekends. The work is never ending and can appear overwhelming. You truly need to have a strong work-life balance.

"A great capacity to learn, but could be stressful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Amazing co-workers that genuinely care about the well-being of others. Most work their butts off serving the community and have enormous, compassionate hearts. Good benefits (health, 401K, tuition reimbursement). Learned a lot during my time as I hand to wear many hats which can be both a pro and con.

Cons

Big workload and had trouble balancing work-life balance. I was essentially working a FT job and being paid PT. Clients sometimes got very, very demanding and expected/wanted a lot from us. Compensation is comparable to other non-profits, but still not good. High turnover and burnout rate among staff.

Advice to Management

More respect and equality of other divisions and not simply ones that look more 'glamorous' or give you the best chances for PR. Reward and praise staff more often since they are the ones running the programs.

11. "CORAL After School Instructor"

Former Employee - CORAL After School Instructor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - CORAL After School Instructor in San Jose, CA

Pros

Excellent opportunity for non-profit experience serving the youth of San Jose, making a difference in their lives and showing them the value of education. Excellent training is available, and the company has a welcoming, family atmosphere to it.

Cons

Opportunities for upward movement are rather limited, at least within the CORAL program. Chances are that you'll need a second job if you're working as an instructor.

Advice to Management

I really enjoyed my time working with Catholic Charities. I found the opportunity to do work that was meaningful in the lives of others to be quite rewarding.