Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Msgr. John Enzler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Solid Team"

Pros

Friendly Staff, Focused on Mission, Proactive

Cons

I wouldn't like to speak on the matter

Advice to Management

Hire more people in the department. More cross training

"Excellent Service to the community!!!"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington part-time

Pros

I get to work with some of the most amazing ladles and experience hands on skills towards my own future goals which is to become a social worker and help people everyday just like they do!

Cons

We all have to experience just how hard it can be to see people suffering without the basic needs and a place to sleep with their children. How sad and hard that type of situation can be!

Advice to Management

You all try so hard to do your absolute best and I see your efforts don't get discouraged when the community is trying to get down on you for not giving them exactly what they want when they want it! Continue to stay professional and don't let them have a negative effect on your day! They don't realize that you really are trying to help everyone you possibly can but still following the rules and procedures!

3. "Mission oriented"

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Catholic Charities for almost 9 years from a front line staff person to mid-management. So much has changed over the years I worked there. I love the agency and its mission. The division directors really care about staff and the agency and work extremely hard. The experience an employee has is largely based on their direct manager. The staff are great and you feel a common tie together. Clients are truly put first.

Cons

Lack of training in the beginning but this may have just been my manager's personality.
    You have to fight for change and responses from admin, finance, facilities, etc.
    Lack of operational guidelines across programs.
    Lack of communication and collaboration across programs.

Advice to Management

I'm a clinical social worker have worked in social services all my life so far. I see the complexity of poverty and social services. I wish the agency would direct more attention to preventive services rather than "band-aid" programs. As a catholic agency, more emphasis should also be placed on empowering, strengthening and maintaining families and community. For example, the agency puts so much money into homeless services and zero dollars towards eviction prevention.
    Incorporate more employee recognition, including financial.
    Listen and incorporate more advice from mid-level management because they see across the spectrum.
    Need more streamlined services. The process, quality, and rules you receive could greatly vary depending on what program a client is in. Each program makes up their own decisions. I understand the reasoning for this (different funding sources, clients, the merger of agencies, etc.), but more could be done to have continuity.

4. "Emergency Management"

Current Employee - Emergency Management Specialist in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Emergency Management Specialist in Denton, TX

I have been working at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was able to Helped the most unfortunate

Cons

The job was very underpaid

Advice to Management

5. "It's a great learning experience."

Former Employee - Crisis Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Crisis Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other crisis specialists are great.
    Management is getting better.
    The shifts aren't terrible and we work 4 10 hour shifts a week and people are pretty chill about switching shifts to extend vacations.

Cons

Having to work past my shift.
    They have not done raises.
    It takes a while to get things fixed.
    Having to work on call during bad weather.

Advice to Management

Keep continuing the efforts.

6. "Got a good start in my field"

I worked at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington full-time

Pros

Good starting salary, Supervision, colleagues are supportive

Cons

Large Bureaucracy, Burnout, Upper management could support employees more.

7. "Be careful with the upper management"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Washington, DC

Pros

You may gain some experience. But be careful, upper management will destroy you if they have to prove a false point to defend themselves.

Cons

Your mental sanity will be sacrificed, coworkers are usually lazy and micromanagement is the model her. The actual managers are barely at the locations when "the actions happens". Be careful with guards, coworkers and clients, your stuff may get "lost".

Advice to Management

Do your job, work with employees one to one to achieve the core values of CCDC. Most employees are there for the paycheck and not for the real values of CCDC.

8. "Not Worth Your Sanity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington (More than 5 years)

Pros

I don't have a kind word to say

Cons

Horrible upper management. There is no sense of community, favoritism is certainly shown, and the CFO and COO are liars. Hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, for a faith based organization there is a lot of sneaky under handness. Not Christ like at all.

Actually hire people that are capable and educated to do the job

9. "Director"

Former Employee - Program Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington (More than 8 years)

Pros

Potential for Professional Growth and a sense of service.

Cons

No sense of Continuity of Career......Leadership does not encourage succession planning....

Advice to Management

None.

10. "SYEP Workshop Coordinator"

Former Employee - Educational Instructor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Educational Instructor in New York, NY

I worked at Catholic Charities of The Archdiocese of Washington (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment and great team to work with.

Cons

No cons, it was a great team to work with.