Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 12 reviews

2.9
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark CEO John Westervelt
John Westervelt
  1. "Transformative Immigration Services Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Undergraduate Legal Intern in Newark, NJ

I worked at Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark for less than a year

Pros

Incredibly supportive and unbelievably knowledgeable team of staff attorneys that lead the charge on many dynamic defenses of immigrants and detainees seeking asylum or facing deportation. Flexible work schedule for interns. Fast-paced work in a laid back environment -- especially nice were the team lunches where the attorneys discussed possible cases/defenses and humored interns for input to develop problem-solving...

Cons

Tough to leverage good internship performance to into potential job offer.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight!

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2014-04-29
  2. "Fulfilling place to work"

Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark full-time

Pros

Felt good to help clients in need Great Coworkers

Cons

Office was small, location Occasional difficult client Salary

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2019-08-07
  3. "Great work being done"

I have been working at Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunity to help people and learn.

Cons

No advancement opportunities and salary increases.

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2018-08-17

"Mental Health Worker"

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation time is great, flexibility, client interaction.

Cons

Never give raises, very low salary, staff are not supported, appreciated or acknowledged for hard work. Low staff moral. No time to complete clinical needs after outreaches.

Advice to Management

Show staff appreciation, encourage employees, recommend pay annual pay raise

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2018-03-21

"horrible management"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Union City, NJ

I worked at Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark full-time for less than a year

Pros

ABSOLUTELY NONE. NOTHING. NADA.

Cons

I worked at the union city location. They're absolutely horrible. The manager is biased, rude, and insulting. One day she'll be nice then the next she's a she-devil fidel castro reincarnate. I quit simply because of her, and HR is a joke. They basically laughed in my face with my concerns. The pay is horrible. Like the lowest they're legally allowed to pay you.

Advice to Management

quit

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2018-01-10

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark Response

February 19, 2018Marketing Associate

I believe you have the wrong Catholic Charities agency. We are Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston located in the Houston, Texas area. The agency that you're referring to is in New Jersey.

6. "Good as a starter job but nothing else."

Pros

Flexible with work scheduling, understanding if you are in school and/or have children, great mental health experience due to all the different roles and agencies used on a daily basis.

Cons

HIGHLY UNDER PAID AND UNDER APPRECIATED BY MANAGEMENT.

Advice to Management

Learn to value and compensate your good employees and you won'y continuously lose them.

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2017-11-12
  7. "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Lakewood, NJ

I worked at Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark for more than a year

Pros

flexibility, exposed to broad range of departments/programs to work in.

Cons

Low pay, Lack of resources.

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2017-10-09

"Case Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Pros

Newark supervisor is the best.. You will learn so much from Ms. Patel.. I became a better worker and person working with her and her guidance.. She deserves better than this company.. The only pro is feeling valued but it’s only when you work in Newark with Ms. Patel and Mrs. Grimm.

Cons

Low salary, the assistant director devalues you as a human being.. You are just an employee not a person.. No raises they don’t know your worth but that’s catholic charities corporate.. they use you when they need you because you are just another # on their roster.. You will have to learn on your own and even that is a waist of time since doing your job is not relevant because of the lack of value from Corperate.. No...

Advice to Management

Liz appreciate your staff, they work hard becuase they love helping people but treating them like a number will result in more employees to quit or stop caring since corporate stopped to care.. Stop being clueless and let someone else that enjoys the field work in your position.. you can tell you are burned out

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2017-10-11
  9. "Case Worker"

Pros

Not a bad place to work if you like helping people. But you have to be able to live off of a very small salary.

Cons

There are no raises, at all. I got my master's degree and they wouldn't even pay me the master's rate which is like a dollar more.

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2017-05-13
  10. "Computer technician"

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Newark, NJ

Pros

Easy going people. Will not bug you while working on big projects on site locations. You will gain a bunch of experience here working on all sorts of technology solutions because the team is so small you get to do a bunch of different things. You will slowly be able to see the impact of the things that you accomplish and how that helps people around the agency. Great benefits laid back atmosphere

Cons

No room for advancement. You are the IT person. If you don't get the job done. Upper management will know and hear about it. Small team is also a negative in that they could use more experienced people to really truly get the place into the 21st century Most users don't know anything about computers so you will get stupid silly questions daily. Really crappy internet makes things difficult to manage

Advice to Management

Invest in fiber and eventually cloud services

Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark2016-06-28