Catholic Health Initiatives Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management had no idea what we were doing (in 28 reviews)

• Preach core values, do not follow them (in 27 reviews)

1. "Staff RN at lakeside hospital"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Omaha, NE

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok benefits but must stay in network for healthcare. Scheduled hours

Cons

Work employees to death. Expect a lot of overtime for the money

Advice to Management

Listen to your exit interview responses

Aug 29, 2017 – HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for your comments, and for your previous employment with a CHI facility in Nebraska. Your advice is appreciated and will be passed along appropriately. Best of luck to you in your future... More

"Executive assistant"

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good PTO policy; fair insurance plan. Fair severance package

Cons

Dehumanizing environment; poor manager to direct report management. Inconsistent discipline process. Fails to teach their managers how to handle people

Advice to Management

Better people skills for managers

Sep 19, 2017 – HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for your prior service with one of CHI's healthcare facilities, and thank you for taking the time to post comments. Best to you in your future endeavors.

"STAY AWAY! ... at least from the APSC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A few good leaders and some really great people to work with.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are a lot of cons with the APSC. I honestly feel that the following are the most unforgiving:

* Our director decided, about 6-months ago, to change the attendance policy to not allow any forgiveness, even if we call in the previous day. No matter what we will get an occurrence. Instead of holding the employees that were having attendance problems accountable you brought it down on everyone and wiped the slate clean of occurrences for the abusers.
        * Shortly after that, all of us employees receive an email threatening our jobs (on performance) if any employee made 3 mistakes in the same month. But it appears as though it was an empty threat as the APSC has seen no change with the amount of errors.
        * Our director still shows her inability to communicate to her department by stating 4-weeks ago that we would all be told the plan for replacing a supervisor fired as an escape goat for her and her Interim manager's incompetencies.

Advice to Management

Hopefully you will not allow the director to hire on the interim manager to a permanent position or you will see the moral and the direction of the APSC fall even faster. It is obvious that neither one has a clue on how to better the department. And that is shown by them continuously disregarding, not only CHI's policies and procedures, but even common practices. So to sum it up, you can't have a captain pilot a ship who has never been in the ocean before....you'll be bound for disaster!

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Respect life balance
    Work from home days
    The checks cleared
    Decent offices
    Some very decent people work there

Cons

Zero room for promotion
    Criminally incompetent leadership
    Culture of escalation not collaboration
    Preach core values, do not follow them

Advice to Management

Fire Lofton and sell the company off to one that actually cares about patients and employees.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Project Coordinator

We appreciate you taking the time to review CHI but broad "con" statements are difficult to address. Please access CHI's public web site, click the "Contact Us" link in the upper right corner, and... More

"Terrible"

Former Employee - UM in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - UM in Omaha, NE

I worked at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great 401 K plans , convenient location(s)

Cons

terrible mangers
    terrible reputation
    staff was AWESOME, knowledgeable but management was a joke

Advice to Management

listen to employees, SUPER SUPER understaffed

Sep 13, 2017 – HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your past experience with a CHI facility in Nebraska. We're sorry your experience was not more positive and wish you the best in future endeavors.

6. "Leaders more visible"

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time

Pros

Leaders are listening, engaging more. Seems more optimistic. I really appreciate the culture of core values, mission driven work, and commitment to the underserved.

Cons

it's been difficult over the past few years and we are waiting on merger announcement.

Advice to Management

Listen. Take more time to answer questions and allay fears. It's important and the right thing to do in difficult times.

Aug 9, 2017 – HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and for your continued service with CHI. We are pleased to read your comment on the leaders, and certainly agree that there have been challenging issues for... More

"It's time we are heard!"

Current Employee - Apsc in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Apsc in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some positives to working at CHI: Decent benefits; And some management, there are a couple (a very limited few) of them that seem to have the knowledge and integrity to bear the title that they hold as well as manage with an open door policy.

Cons

There are many things about working at CHI that really seem to fall far below the threshold of postulation: Accountability, for one, it has been expressed to us that processes are in place to enforce accountability, be it a matter of ownership or a mere lack of triumph in required duties and responsibilities, however, I am hard pressed to witness an example of this from the majority of management; Raises, albeit appreciated, are extremely minimal compared to the amount of ever growing expectations and obligations placed before us on a daily basis; The chaotic environment, a mass of misguided direction and undedicated personnel engulf the everyday atmosphere on the third floor.

Advice to Management

As for my actual review:

I must preface this review by stating that we, the lost voices of CHI, are not writing reviews to deprecate the managerial makeup of the current CHI we have all come to know, but rather have our voices be heard, for once and for all and not be echoed by the seemingly endless chasm of discarded feedback, proposals, exhortations, and genuinely sincere suggestions that we in the APSC have all, at one point or another, expressed to our dignitaries. So please heed our call to arms as we are banding together to form a powerful voice that can be heard beyond that of the current director.

The APSC has eroded under the command of our director. She exudes inexperience and inability to hark the concerned voices surrounding her on a daily basis thus resulting in the inability to voice our opinions and anxiety’s concerning our employment out of fear of retaliation. Social clicks formed in some upper management are evidently in place to shield one another from expatriation and support each others incompetency’s. Processes are followed improperly to the point of violating morals and collective belief . We are understaffed and iIl-managed resulting in disquietude and inordinately low morale. Circumstances show the directors knowledge base rests solely on NON-PO Processing. Her unwillingness to expand her global dexterity within CHI and more specifically the APSC, prevents any shred of hope, formulated by the select few members of leadership and management that genuinely care, to ever reach the light of day. Ideas are discredited and people defeated due to inept directive effectiveness. An inflated head and power hungry ego adorn our ubiquitous director.

It is my belief that a democracy would govern our building better than a dictatorship. Welcome feedback, conduct a massive aggregation of ideas and constructive-criticisms from each single employee of each separate department. Use that knowledge to prop-up the undeniably damaged vessel we currently sail on and replace the current director with someone carrying compassion for the belief in our people and company. Give us our voice back, and let us help you rebuild CHI and return it back to its glory days. The director needs to step down or resign and give way to a proper successor, without ill-will or malice, I must state that I believe our director is completely incapable of performing the job in which she has been assigned to do.

8. "Company in transition"

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time

Pros

I work with a great team and get paid well

Cons

the company has been in financial turnaround for years

Advice to Management

be as good to your employees as your executives. Don't give huge bonuses and skimp on raises.

Aug 7, 2017 – HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for your comments, and for your continued employment with CHI. We're pleased to read your positive comments, and your advice to management will be passed along. Thanks, again, for taking... More

"Denver Offices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Pros are diminishing down to minimal. Still good benefits and PTO. Not much else right now to be identified as a Pro.

Cons

Environment and culture is much less desirable than in the past. The mission focus on our quality of care is no longer there. To ensure quality of care all aspects of the business need to be high quality. In the national office employees are stressed, over worked, blammed for all of the problems at the MBO level. We all just feel defeated because we want to make a differance but despite all of the suggestions and all of the work put in to bring more efficent systems to CHI in order to streamline processes, all the work and Demos presented were ignored. We all feel very flustrated and discouraged. We were challenged to find more efficient ways to do our jobs with less. As instructed we worked for days, weeks and sometimes months on presenting solutions and they are dismissed and then we are given even less to work with. Very different and sad place to work. I truly thought I would retire here but I am exploring my options along with many other of my fellow employees.

Advice to Management

Stop making your employees feel like there hard work is for nothing. Stop asking for things if you do not intend to use them. When you say statements like "provide suggestions or solutions" LISTEN and RESPOND. Be more transparent. Higher good people, work to keep the GOOD people you have. GET RID OF THE BAD ONES.

"In Chaos"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Catholic Health Initiatives part-time

Pros

good pay, benefits, 401 k

Cons

poor leadership, short staff, regional managers too arrogant, HR too slowing hiring personnel, rarely see high management visit the trenches, not very honest and open

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, care more about your employees,

Sep 5, 2017 – HR Project Coordinator

Thank you for your comments, and for your service with a CHI facility in Tacoma. We are sorry to read the "Cons" comments and hope that you share your views with local leadership. Employees across... More