KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Catholic Medical Mission Board Reviews

Updated Sep 7, 2021

Found 24 of over 34 reviews

3.6
Catholic Medical Mission Board President and CEO Mary Beth Powers (no image)
Mary Beth Powers
1 Rating
  1. 5.0

intern

Jan 13, 2021 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, good working environment

Cons

no real cons, good place

1 person found this review helpful
  2. 4.0

Great Place to Work

Sep 7, 2021 - Major Gifts Officer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

4-Star Charity Navigator Engaged staff Life-saving mission

Cons

Staff turnover is periodically high Not well known despite being more than 100 years old

3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Questionable ethics and grossly overpaid, ineffective CEO

Dec 5, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Potential to do much good through the faith-based health systems in countries where they work, if there were a strong vision and will to add value.

Cons

The CEO doesn't care--and hired a group of unqualified personal friends or people with whom he has previous relationships to leadership roles for which they are totally not fit. He fires people left and right if they disagree or dare to strive for actual accountability or impact or vision. Sickening to see the total lack of commitment and work ethic from the leader--and the nepotism, backstabbing, dirty politics in what is supposed to be an NGO built on Catholic values. Self serving CEO gathering a wildly over-inflated salary while barely working.

5 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

So much potential.

Dec 21, 2018 - Partnerships in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission. Very ambitious and miraculously saw some good growth.

Cons

Managers did not know how to manage. Very disorganized and there was very little trust and communication among senior management. Very political and WAY too much turn over; almost 20 people in my short time, and since leaving there have been many others. Keep in mind there were only about 35 in our NYC headquarters. Those who have been there a long time weren't of much help.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great mission focused on maternal child health and small, family friendly workplace

Nov 1, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very family friendly, encourages work-life balance (their mission is maternal child health after all) with very generous time off including Catholic holidays, vacation leave, sick days, personal leave, and public holidays, not to mention option for occasional remote work for many staff. Small size allows all staff to assume different roles and new experiences if interested in doing so. Very mission-driven organization, which permeates throughout departments and locations, moreso than most in this sector in my opinion. Although a Catholic FBO, it has a very diverse workforce including many women and minorities in top leadership positions and is data-driven (it was founded by a New York doctor a century ago who lost his wife and child to disease).

Cons

Wall Street location is a commuting inconvenience to some, although the Manhattan location is a pro in other ways (e.g. networking events). Some benefits If career advancement is important to you, you may find opportunities limited due to small size of org (most people here are in it for the mission).

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Mission-driven team working towards a healthier world for women and children

Oct 22, 2018 - Specialist in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are driven by their desire to serve women and children living in poverty, spirit of entrepreneurship, leaders care for staff professionally and personally, , opportunities to visit programs, lean and efficient, opportunity to grow (I began my journey as an intern and have been given many opportunities to grow since then)

Cons

We work really hard but the work is fulfilling and the people are supportive and kind, in recruiting we need to ensure the people we are choosing are the right fit

2 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee

Very unusual place to work

Oct 12, 2018 -  in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some lovely and very friendly people.

Cons

Very unusual leadership style and strange dynamics. The innovation-strategy-comms team is unorganized, does not work with a plan and changes direction frequently. Very high turnover. Bloated salaries for the senior executive level. Some highly questionable relationships. Overly target oriented and seemed dishonest in fundraising approach. They were raising donations to hit the funding target for causes that are not part of the mandate. Also not honest about the job requirements and later disclosed parts of the job that changed the role drastically.

7 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

extremely high turnover

Jan 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A mission that really drives the organization

Cons

Management doesnt trust their employees to do the job they were hired for

12 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Intern

Dec 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

My time at CMMB has been wonderful. Interns are given important tasks and their work is valued to not only your team but the organization as a whole.

Cons

I really cannot think of anything I would change

10. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Strategy & Innovation Team

Jan 19, 2017 - Innovation Assistant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

My favorite part about being apart of CMMB is their positive, supportive environment. You will find that a majority of the employees are very down to earth, friendly and willing to help you out when needed. Your supervisors and teammates are willing to work with you to accommodate your needs, I felt appreciated knowing that my comfortability was a priority to them. Another aspect that I favored was how much room you have to grow. You're given enough freedom to express your creativity within your assigned projects. Also, the office has such a great location in the financial district. It's close to plenty of public transportation and great places to eat. It was a joy to come to work everyday. You will feel cared for and there's plenty of opportunities to showcase your abilities that you have to offer the organization. It was a pleasure to be apart of CMMB, they are really working hard to improve the lives of those in poverty.

Cons

I can honestly say that I did not experience any downsides while working at CMMB. It was such a pleasant experience and I truly have nothing to complain about.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews